F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Chip, Exhaust, and Filter Questions..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001 | 11:35 AM
|
Question Chip, Exhaust, and Filter Questions..........

Hey guys, I'm new to this board and a new truck owner. I bought a 2000 F250, V-10, CC, 4x2, Lariat last week and I'm looking into a few things. I knew that this board was probably the best source of info.

I've got a few questions.....remember I'm new at all this chip/truck stuff so be patient .

I'm looking for a chip that will significantly improve my HP and my MPG. I wont be pulling anything and I'll be using it for an everyday driver. I've got 3:73 gears with 305/70/16 Goodyear ATF's. What chip(s) will give me what I'm looking for? Do I have a choice?

I also want to install an air filter. What kind do you guys recommend? Can I expect to see any results from using one?

Exhaust....What size is the stock exaust? I want my truck to sound *healthy* but not obnoxious. What muffler & size exhaust do you guys recommend? What do you guys have done?

Finally....how do I make the front of this truck sit *flush* with the rear? It looks like the back sits about 3-4" higher than the front....it's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

-Mindcrime-

Old 07-16-2001 | 04:35 PM
Red face

Congrats on you new truck. I'll try and answer some of your questions and others will be along also.

A chip will give you more HP etc. May or may not give more MPGs. Check with Mike Troyer in the Computer Chips section, he is a distibutor for Super Chip and is very knowledgeable. A chip for a V-10 is pretty pricey, more so than a 5.4L V-8.
Air Force One makes a nice intake set up and you can get that from Roger here in the on line store.
As for exhaust I prefer a Gibson Sweptside, not real loud, just throaty, and no loss of low end torque. Other folks have their favorites.
Check out some of the posts in the Computer Chips section, there is a ton of info on these three mods and how they compliment each other.
Good luck with you truck and welcome to the board, a lot of good folks here and a ton of info.

Old 07-16-2001 | 05:27 PM
|
Thanks Y2K! I'll check out the other sections. I see you're in Buena Vista, Colo.....you lucky bastard! I go up to Ouray, Silverton, Aspen, etc...every year and ride dirtbikes. I'll be there again this year, the last week in August....I can't wait.

-MINDCRIME-

Old 07-16-2001 | 05:32 PM
Welcome to the site! Most all the chips are performance chips. They add hp and tq not MPG. Some with V8's do get some mpg gains but it's the exception rather than the rule. You also need to use Premium fuel. Superchips or Diablo is what you want. (see Mike Troyer for the Superchips here or Bob Riley at www.ford-diesel.com for a Diablo)(www.superchip.com www.diablosport.com) You will not really be able to get a deep rumble sound from a V10 no matter which exhaust system you choose. The V10 is an odd ball in this area. Stick with name brand cat-back systems. The companys have researched the exhaust and have put together a sysytem that sounds the best. If you try and make one on your own it will sound BAD. Borla, Gibson, Banks, Flowmaster, Dynomax just to name a few. A K&N drop in filter is the cheepest route.($45) Don't expect much here. 3-5 hp and maybe 1/4-1/2 mpg. The Air filter systems may add a bit more, but at a higher cost. I'd take my truck to a dealer and make sure the speedo is calabrated to the diameter of those 305's. That way the computer thinks things are right and controls the engine and tranny acordingly. Sould cost $30-65. I do believe there is a kit for the front of 4x2's now that will raise it up a bit. The rear is high so when you load it up it will sit level. I like that but to each his own. Do check out www.ford-diesel.com. They have the best info on the Superduty trucks and even a gas section for us non diesel fellas.

Old 07-17-2001 | 11:08 AM
|
Thanks for the reply V-10 man.....I'll check out both sites.

-MINDCRIME-

Old 07-17-2001 | 12:37 PM
"Mindcrime",
Yes, I am lucky to live in BV. We built a new house there in 98 and moved down there from Denver. Still work in Denver 4 days a week, but not for long, going to retire in October. Then I can enjoy being there all the time!! Also glad to see you enjoy some of the great areas in Colorado too.
Bob

Old 07-17-2001 | 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Mindcrime,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

You already have a number of responses, so I won't bore eveyone by typing out a long & detailed response to each of your questions, but if you'd like to be able to talk to someone & go over all of that info on each area in detail so you can give it some thought to help make your decisions, please feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email, we're happy to help.

Congratulations on your V-10, it's a sweet motor that responds nicely to good modifications, it'll be pretty easy to wake that thing right up for you.

Good luck & hope to speak with you soon,

Old 07-18-2001 | 11:34 AM
|
Thumbs up

Mike-

I just wanted to say thanks for the info. during our phone coversation. You were very helpful and informative....you'll be hearing from me in the near future for some mods.

Best Regards,

Jason

Old 07-25-2001 | 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Mindcrime,

Sorry I was a bit slow to respond to your last post, we're getting ready for the 2nd Annual F-150 Online National Rally in Norfolk, Virginia, so things are a bit hectic right now, my apologies!

I enjoyed speaking with you as well, we're always happy to go over these things so you can take your time, give it some thought and decide from an informed viewpoint just what you want to do.

Best of luck with your truck & we'll talk to you soon!

Old 09-04-2001 | 03:56 PM
Swept Side .vs. Dual Sport

Interested in hearing what folks think the difference in sound and sound-levels there would be between the single and dual tail pipes.

I think I might go with a Gibson, but I really like the dual-tails... I'm also looking at an AirForce1 FIPK and a Superchip from Mike. I also live in Colorado (Springs), and need that power to tow my boat!

My new 2001 F-250 V10/Auto is a JOYous upgrade from my 4.6L F-150 when it comes to towing...mileage is another story, though the V10 did beat the 150 when towing (12mpg). I got about 9mpg when towing with my underpowered F-150.

Anyway folks - what do you think about the Gibson issue?

Old 09-04-2001 | 05:06 PM
Thumbs up CooperJ

Congrats on your truck. We have a 2002 F-250 CC 4X4, V-10 on order, should be delivered next week.
Tell you what I know: I like the duals out the back too, was going to do that to my F-150, after a lot of research, learned I would probably lose some low end torque. The Gibson Sweptside is designed for towing, and should improve low end torque. I noticed a difference on my F-150 with it and a little in mpgs also. I plan on putting a Sweptside on the SD, along with an Air Force One and probably a chip from Mike. A friend of mine has a 2001 SD Ext Cab with the V-10, he installed the Sweptside and really likes it, said he noticed an increase in low end, and thinks it helped his mileage a little also

Old 09-05-2001 | 06:13 PM
Thanks Red...

Okay, I'm convinced that I want the single tailed exhaust. Gibson says 319652 for aluminized or 19652 for stainless. I'm working with Mike Troyer to get the following in a package:

AirForce1 FIPK
Gibson Side-Swept
SuperChip

Maybe even some headers - how bad is the install on a V10? I nearly killed myself doing headers on an old 5.0L mustang of mine, and I ain't doing it again! That sucked!

Man, this thing is gonna BARK when all is said and done!

Oh, and does anyone know if I'm gonna have to CUT my stock exhaust to get it off (I don't have a lift). I'd like to save it incase future buyers are purists (I would be).

Old 09-05-2001 | 06:35 PM
CooperJ

You might have to cut it off, I know you didn't want to "hear" that. Just about every one I have seen post about their installation cut it off, on the engine side of the stock muffler. It is just about impossible to get the engine pipe out of the muffler after it has been clamped and gets some corrosion etc.
Good luck

Old 09-06-2001 | 05:13 PM
Cool

I've got the 4X4 and had to cut it to get the stock exhaust off. That muffler/tailpipe assy is not only heavy but to long to maneuver over the axle.Before I put the Borla headers on I put the gibson cat back on,there was a little bit of seat of the pants feelto it since it is bigger than stock but when I installed the headers nigth and day difference. The only prob I had with the headers was the back 2 top header bolts on pass. side, if you have small hands the bolts go in easier.

Old 09-06-2001 | 06:04 PM
Wink

Well, now I'm thinking about headers...thanks A LOT. ;-)

I'm coming to grips with having to cut the factory exhaust...I'll let you know if I absolutely cannot get it off - it's a BRAND new truck, so I was hoping that I might find a slip-joint or clamp to get it out of there... I'm worried because it IS so big-n-heavy.

N-E-who, I'd read some stories/nightmares about Borla headers on the V10 - feed-tubes/sensors not fitting right and all that...has that been resolved?

What all did you have to yank out of the way (take apart) to get the headers on? My old 5.0 mustang was a BITCH - had to practically pull the motor to get them in place, an I don't want to have to do that...I'm not THAT great of a mechanic.

I've been working with Mike Troyer to get a package put together for my truck - AirForce1/Chip/Gibson...maybe some headers too!

Thanks for taking the time to reply - All of you guys!
jc

Quick Reply: Chip, Exhaust, and Filter Questions..........