F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Front Hubs Clunking While turning

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Hubs Clunking While turning

I have a 99 F250 SD 4x4 Crew Cab. Whenever I use the 4x4 for any period of time and then turn it off the front hubs clank, clank, clank when I turn. This may last up to a week and then one day you get in and it doen't do it again until I turn the 4x4 back on. Also I hear a deep ping whenever I shift the transmission into drive or reverse. The u-joints are tight. Are there any TSB's on this out there or anybody got a solution. Sure would appreciate it. Thanks

Old 07-21-2001, 08:29 AM
Arrow

My last truck was a 4x4 and when I went to sell it, I took it by a couple of dealers to have it checked out. One of the things they did was to put it into 4wheel drive and do some sharp turns. I assumed they were listening for something but my truck checked out just fine. Prehaps they were listening for what your truck does??? Try posting this in the drivetrain section also check out the diesel board www.ford-diesel.com They may be all driving diesels over there but the 4x4 system is still the same.
Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the board

Old 07-23-2001, 02:22 PM
bubba3859 - Is your truck manual or auto locking hubs with manual override? I had the manual locking and when the hubs were locked, on turns I would feel a clunk in the steering wheel. I was told this was normal, even when I was in 2WD with the hubs locked. When I unlocked my hubs, I would always roll back a few feet dad always said this helps relieve pressure on the hubs), and it wouldn't make any sound or vibrations (other than the diesel).

A friend has the auto hubs, and they always have to back up a few feet when they turn the dial back to 2WD, with the hubs in auto lock mode. I don't know if you have done this or not, but I would engage the 4WD, disengage, and roll back a few feet and see if the problem continues.

TJ

Old 07-23-2001, 02:25 PM
Sorry, signature shows what I have and had. I didn't get it attached in time.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi Bubba3859, came across this post in a search I made. I realize it is VERY old but I was wondering if you could enlighten me as to what you ever found out on this problem. I have a '99 4wd that is doing the exact same thing as you mention here. Any and all help will be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 PM
More than likely the stock hubs took a dump. Its a common problem. Replace them with a set of Warn hubs and plug the vacuum line.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Thanks Powerstroke. I was kind of wondering if that was it as I checked the ball joints and they are fine. It is intermittent and only does it when turning fairly sharp either direction. Recently found if I back up a ways and then continue on the problem is gone for awhile. Anyway, that leads me to my next question: are the Warns automatic like the factory hubs, and do I have to plug the vacuum line? I would like a hub similar to factory (with "auto" and "lock")as I have the dash dial and want the convenience of not having to get out and turn the hubs every time I hit a patch of mud/ice/snow. Is this offered by Warn or is it either "lock" or "free" with them? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 AM
Alright I think Ive got it. I believe I will replace the auto hubs with Warn premiums, and thus either have "lock" or "free" to choose from. I am fairly mechanically inclined but have a couple of questions for you pros out there: is the hub change a pretty straight forward process (meaning just pop out the retaining clip, pull the old hub assembly out, slide in the new one and replace the retaining clip), and if so, how exactly do I cap off the vacuum system? Just yank the vacuum line at the connector on the truck frame, or does it affect the operation of the dash turn dial in such a way that I have to carefully plug the vacuum line somehow? Mine is a '99 F250. Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: Front Hubs Clunking While turning