F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

What to Do, What to Do.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an H&S dealer in Milwaukee that also reps Bullydog. They both share the same hardware - very easy to see. Anyway, they offer street tuners that don't delete, but offer some advantages on power, mileage, shifting, etc. for a little over $500. I could see this as an option if I can't get a true delete kit without the ulcers.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
That's just the programmer/tunes, not the actual delete kits.
But you don't need a full kit, right? My plan was to buy a used DPF, gut it, put it in place of the old one, and use the tuner to "delete" in the computer. Keeps it looking stock, but with the function of delete. Won't that work? Or just buy the DPF delete pipe, which are fairly easy to come by. The hard to find part is the tuner.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
But you don't need a full kit, right? My plan was to buy a used DPF, gut it, put it in place of the old one, and use the tuner to "delete" in the computer. Keeps it looking stock, but with the function of delete. Won't that work? Or just buy the DPF delete pipe, which are fairly easy to come by. The hard to find part is the tuner.
If you're running tunes you really should delete the DPF because the extra fuel you're putting into the motor will create more soot plugging up the DPF if re-gen is disabled. You can have a DPF delete pipe made if you really want to do it of get one without bungs and then just have the bungs welded in for the sensors.

Here is a MBRP DPF delete pipe from Xtreme Diesel Performance and you can get them aluminized and stainless steel.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/MBRPComp...werstroke.aspx

Last edited by dsq3973; 03-14-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
If you're running tunes you really should delete the DPF because the extra fuel you're putting into the motor will create more soot plugging up the DPF if re-gen is disabled. You can have a DPF delete pipe made if you really want to do it of get one without bungs and then just have the bungs welded in for the sensors.

Here is a MBRP DPF delete pipe from Xtreme Diesel Performance and you can get them aluminized and stainless steel.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/MBRPComp...werstroke.aspx
Yeah, basically I was saying to rip out the internals of the DPF to make it a straight pipe inside, but it will still look like a DPF from the outside. Sensors would still mount, and a visual inspection would reveal a DPF, but functionally, there would be no DPF.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Yeah, basically I was saying to rip out the internals of the DPF to make it a straight pipe inside, but it will still look like a DPF from the outside. Sensors would still mount, and a visual inspection would reveal a DPF, but functionally, there would be no DPF.
Why would you destroy the DPF by gutting it!?! Do you have any idea what those things cost to replace if you fail an emissions test? Spend the money on the delete pipe and switch it out when you have to have an emissions test done.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Why would you destroy the DPF by gutting it!?! Do you have any idea what those things cost to replace if you fail an emissions test? Spend the money on the delete pipe and switch it out when you have to have an emissions test done.
I wouldn't destroy mine, which is a perfectly good DPF. I would buy a used one, preferably one that was failed/cracked/etc, and replace mine with it. Then put mine in the corner in case I ever wanted or needed to return her to stock. I have found used DPF's in the neighborhood of $200-$250.

We don't have emissions tests (yet) here in mid-MO. Keeping the (gutted) DPF in place would be for the sole purpose of passing a visual inspection, which is more likely around here than an emissions test.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Smokewagun, have you looked at Spartan for a delete? If my next one ends up being a 6.4 they're who I'm calling for tunes and deletes.
While this is what I run and recommend for tunes, my delete pipes came from AFE.

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...el&brandID=108

I kept the DPF/cat stashed in the barn incase Delaware failed the **** state run inspection, but they rolled it right through the lane without saying a thing.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Hey your not that far from me. I haven't seen any emission test here either.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM
In MO, trucks of our GVW do not need emissions test, even if they are registered in an area that requires them...

Quick Reply: What to Do, What to Do.