F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250-350 vs Cummins 2500-3500

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all this dpf and egr stuff almost makes me want to just find an old 7.3 ha. I can't tune because emissions, I have to tune because regen hurts my motor, I can't roll coal and beat on it because the truck cant take it, its like a big revolving door of suck! What happened to the diesels that you "had to beat on" for them to work right? floor it, tow massive loads, use it for what its worth, thats what I thought a diesel was about. apparently not anymore

Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
all this dpf and egr stuff almost makes me want to just find an old 7.3 ha. I can't tune because emissions, I have to tune because regen hurts my motor, I can't roll coal and beat on it because the truck cant take it, its like a big revolving door of suck! What happened to the diesels that you "had to beat on" for them to work right? floor it, tow massive loads, use it for what its worth, thats what I thought a diesel was about. apparently not anymore
Those days are gone. While everyone holds the mighty 7.3L in a now almost idle like state, it did have some quirks, and when I get back behind the wheel of mine, it is friggin slow compared to what replaced it.

I daily drive my 6.2L Detroit blazer to work and back every day and my only complaint is getting passed by Hondas.

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
So...........is a gas V-10 starting to look attractive? That thing pulls like a locomotive, it's very diesel-like. Only downside is it sucks gas. Last year for the V-10 was 2010 except in chassis-cab commercial builds. Go find one and drive it.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Those days are gone. While everyone holds the mighty 7.3L in a now almost idle like state, it did have some quirks, and when I get back behind the wheel of mine, it is friggin slow compared to what replaced it.

I daily drive my 6.2L Detroit blazer to work and back every day and my only complaint is getting passed by Hondas.

Adrianspeeder
Those 7.3's did! I'll admit that I fall victim to the over-glorification of them though. But those 6.2's are absolute DAWWWGS man haha. But they're very serviceable. I like em, and those diesel blazers are getting hard to find

Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
His diesel Blazer is an old military version.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by fnnrNArnner74
Let's get a few misconceptions straight.

1. Rolling coal is a waste of diesel

2. Beating on the truck is what breaks stuff.

3. You just don't just floor a diesel or any vehicle and expect it hold together. There is a difference between working a diesel hard and abuse.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Those blazer diesels are cool. One just like Adrian's near my university. Those engines sounds so unique

Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by glc
His diesel Blazer is an old military version.
Ahh, I see that in his signature. That's really cool though, gotta love the old non-turbo'd diesels. They had the 6.2 in the Hummers too, didn't they? Guy had a military spec 6.2 Blazer on our CL for a while, price was low enough to get me to dream a little bit . . . Haha

Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 AM
The 6.5's were in the Hummer's both in N/A form and turbo charged later. The 6.2 was only in production up to 83 or 85 and maybe 86 then got switched over to the 6.5 after that.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, there is an other option here. You can take your time and find a real sharp 7.3 truck. Then fork up the cash and have a new long block and tranny put in.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
Let's get a few misconceptions straight.

1. Rolling coal is a waste of diesel

2. Beating on the truck is what breaks stuff.

3. You just don't just floor a diesel or any vehicle and expect it hold together. There is a difference between working a diesel hard and abuse.
1. wasting diesel isn't my concern, not trying to be "that guy" but this isn't exactly a prius and I'm not exactly buying it to save gas.

2. trust me when I say that I have beaten on enough things to know that if it breaks its both a good and bad thing. I completely sheered a 4130 axle in half while wheeling. was it bad? yes, was it good? yes. if I didn't break it I would have never known that the axles were a fraction short when I first got them leaving them prone to being pulled beyond reason when the tire was fully drooped. I broke it in a place where I was able to get out, get home, and asses the damage. if it were somewhere else it might have been a lot worse. I'm not trying to advocate for full fledged burnouts until my tires pop, but I believe that a work truck platform should be the essence of the phrase. work first truck second.

I hope I don't come off as that "bro" kid or jackass that a lot of truck owners might be. I respect my stuff. I really do. Hopefully my truck and this one shows that. I intend it to.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
OP, there is an other option here. You can take your time and find a real sharp 7.3 truck. Then fork up the cash and have a new long block and tranny put in.
I have looked! Most are way over priced for what they are. 220+ and 15k? ya right.. I have found a few on a couple of dealer sites but again, 24k for a 110+ 01? Idk about that.. the 7.3 has seemed to become the holy grail of super dutys. the guys wanting to get in cant normally afford a newer truck and they have heard that the 6.0s suck so where do they turn? 7.3. I offered a guy 10k for a 210+ 2000 that was basically stock with some wheels. he said no and acted like I offended him. its insane what these guys want for some of those trucks. If I did get one I would wanna spend little and put a lot into it. shocks, wheels, tires, lights the whole deal. I will eventually do that to the new one but it wont be my first priority seeing as I am trying to finish up the shark and then work on getting a good set of spare parts before really diving into the new truck with some cash. that being said I have definitely looked into building some suspension components for the newer trucks. I have a full fledged machine shop to mess with. water jets, cnc, lathe, you name it. 4th 5th every drill carbide and endmill you want. solidworks and mastercam as well. when I get the truck I'll take some measurements and maybe see what I can do with some shocks. Carlis stuff is awesome but I feel like I can build something similar for way cheaper. But I'm not trying to knock those guys because they make some seriously awesome stuff! all these things play a role and after this month I'm going to take some down time for myself. relax, work on my own stuff and take a look at some new trucks!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 PM

My friend's brother had a 2001 7.3 (190k) Screw with a 4" lift, 35s on 17s, and a turbo back. Truck got stolen about a month ago and the insurance still paid out around $16k. The resale on them is insane. Another friend got a '97 single cab 7.3 for a $1000 from a friend. After 2 years, he sold it to another buddy of mine for $2k with 180k on the odo. Wanted to kill the seller for not telling me! My old football coach got a '94 7.3 for free from his mother recently, truck sat sit his father died in '97, only 40 some k miles on the motor. Coach did the hoses and fluids, slapped some tires on it, and now it's his daily driver. He's turned down several offers (one for $15k). For a 19 year old truck! The resale value and reputation of the 7.3 is incredible.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autotrader has a handful of under 70k mile 7.3s.

Last edited by avfrog; 04-20-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM
So I have been checking some threads out and looking up some pros and cons for the 6.7 6.4 and such. I came across this: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-7...esolution.html

This bucking and stalling seems like a nightmare, has anyone heard of this? did they solve the problem or is still prevalent? I have also heard that the new 6.7s have garbage turbos, some trucks having to replace the turbos 3 times before 85k. anyone have any insight into this?

Quick Reply: F250-350 vs Cummins 2500-3500