F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Nothing at the key switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing at the key switch

Hello I just purchased an old rusty 1989 F250 7.5L ex cab plow truck. The truck has been being started with a screwdriver. Using the two contacts of the starting coil by the battery for some time. I wanted to fix it correctly and I have created a mess. I took the steering column apart to check the push rod assembly. It was in good shape. I suspected the starter switch and replaced that. Nothing has worked. When the key is turned their is nothing at all. If I use the screwdriver on the coil by the battery it turns over quite nice but will not start. I have no history of working on Fords and I would be greatfull for any help.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Is this post in the wrong area? does anyone have any ideas on what it may be?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Hello and welcome. This section here is mainly populated by the '99+ superduty crowd. More of a knowledge base for your rig in the pre '97 section.

Anyway, for your issue do you have a haynes manual?

Off the bat without being there, I'd be looking at the fuseable links off the battery side of the starter relay.

Is the EEC and fuel pump relay clicking?

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the reply. I believe I bought a Chiltons not the the Haynes manual it does not break down the wiring as much as is needed. I am new to Fords so could you tell me where is the fuseable link? Is it up on the inner fender near the starting relay? The truck had a new fuel pump and many other things in it when I bought it. I drove it to where it now sits. At this time I just want to get it to turn over at the key. After that I know that I will need help getting it to fire up. I am trying one step at a time. I did jump between the small post on the top of the starter relay and the battery post on the relay and it turns over great. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
The fuse links are in the fat bundle that comes off the battery side of the fender mounted relay.

You are looking at either a fuse link burned out or a common failed plastic pushrod internal to the steering column that connects the key switch to the electrical switch down towards the brake pedal.

So, when you turn the key to on, does the fuel pump prime?

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 AM
I will look for the fuse link. The plastic pushrod part you are talking about is that the starter switch? It bolts to the top of the steering column? I was told that was my problem so I replaced that about a week ago. I don't hear the fuel pump prime but I do think their are a few issues with the truck. I am trying to fix one thing at a time so that I don't over look anything. I already have the steering wheel off because again I was told it was something in their. Now I have that mess also. That is why I gave up asking friend and I am asking on this form. I don't know if I will have time to look at the truck until the weekend we are working 12 hr days right now but I will let you know as soon as I do. Thanks again for your ideas.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I had help in looking at it today. All of the fuse links checked ok so he started following power back to the key. Their is a nest of wires under the break booster. When we were moving these around we could here a clicking like a relay. As we dug into it some of the connections were corroded. We ended up removing the wire harness that is round and goes into the fire wall. It was also corroded and we needed to clean it. We put it back together and it still seems like the trigger wire is bad somewhere in the first 3-4 feet. With a jumper wire it not only turned over but started and ran great. I now have a mess with the steering column and everything else but I am wound tight (happy) that we seem to be getting somewhere. Next weekend I hope to finish this portion of the truck project. I want to thank you so much for all of you time. I hope if I need anything in the future you will read it and be able to help again.
Thank you,
Bruce

Quick Reply: Nothing at the key switch