F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Convince me not to by a Chevy HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me not to by a Chevy HD

I am a long time F150 owner and love my truck... But I am now pulling a 10,000lb plus trailer (tractor on it) and it's time to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. Been comparing a lot of Fords and Chevys pulling trailers or just normal driving and I hate the fact that the SD sags so low in the back, it just makes the truck look weak. The Chevies are much higher and rarely sag... Ford didn't seem to have this problem in the early 2000s??

Please don't say just put air bags on it, when buying a new truck I don't feel I should have to spend additional money for something that should be included.

I have noticed at least one 2014 F250 ext cab that looked nice and high in the rear, but couldn't see anything on it that was different..

Is there a spring package available to defeat this problem, any other reasons to buy a Ford over a Chevy? Thanks

Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
f350 instead...imo

Old 10-06-2013, 05:24 PM

So how much the rear sags with a load on it is a main deciding factor for you? I've seen Fords, Chevys, and Dodges all high and all sag. I can't imagine that Chevy's leaf springs are stronger than Ford's or something like that.

Fords don't have the crappy IFS like Chevys (IFS is bad IMO), but both are good. Diesel vs gas is a big point too, which are you in the market for?

Old 10-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Ya the sagging should be the least of your worries. I didn't even think of something like that when I bought mine. I'd be more interested in motors and transmissions and other things. Sagging can be taken care of with a leaf pack or bags. Granted you said you dont want that but hey. I've driven the new 6.7 and its fast comfortable and have seen it pull some weight over a distance through mountains and hills. It does its job for sure.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Sagging? I don't really see much squat more than an inch or so.

6200 lbs

Prolly the most tongue heavy I've had was this dumb load of a friend and his Chevelle.

Anyway, don't think they look too squatted down at all. I'd take a Ford front end over a Chevy.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 AM
I solved my squatting problem with an AAL, and I'm lowered. $100 and a couple hours later I increased my payload by 900 lbs...

Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Round Tires....... Square fenders??? come on engineers! Cavemen could figure this out.
Oh lets see.. Government motors.....
IFS.......
Interior is boring and played out...........
Trannies are ok ,but i think the Torque shift is better and is known for holding more power, which to me means tougher..?

Also get an F350. the cost is nearly the same and it just has an extra leaf in the rear. Also, anyone that tows a lot and a lot of weight I think should invest in bags anyway. Its a nice cheap investment when spending that much on a truck. Whats 500 bucks for bags?

Oh. the DEF tank they have is ugly. its not hidden and open to side impacts and damage. probably expensive to replace those fellas. Also to put the def into the new trucks its under the hood. Fords is handy in the fuel cap area, as a lot of big fuel stations have that stuff at the pump.

6&3/4ft bed vs 6.5ft bed. little extra is nice if you have a tool box.

Bumpers on the chevys are about 3 inches from the ground.
I give the ride to the chevy, but its also IFS and i think about 2000 to 2500lbs lighter

anyway thats my two cents.....Oh did i mention Government motors! i know its been paid back...blah blah blah

Trending Topics

Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM

I have a buddy that talks about the square fenders every time he sees one!

That money hasn't been truly paid back either, I don't wanna go off on a spiel, but you could look that up and be even more upset.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 PM
There's nothing wrong with Chevy trucks...I think the only difference I've ever noted (owned MANY of both brands) is that the turning radius on them is HORRIBLE! I have a long bed 250 I can whip into parking spaces I'm perpendicular with, parking a 2500 Chevy truck is somewhat of an "event"

Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 PM
ya its been paid back but the govt. pretty much owns them now....they shouldve went under, we'd all be better off.....

also, what kind of a ______ asks for help from the govt.? like they even really care about the people in the company, it was all for profits that they are still making everyday regardless if chevy makes any money or not, they have their hand permanantly down their pants.... end rant

Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by RANGERansom
ya its been paid back but the govt. pretty much owns them now....they shouldve went under, we'd all be better off.....

also, what kind of a ______ asks for help from the govt.? like they even really care about the people in the company, it was all for profits that they are still making everyday regardless if chevy makes any money or not, they have their hand permanantly down their pants.... end rant
The money was "paid back" via stock manipulation (screwing over share holders; gov't selling share at massive losses) and TARP methods. But the gov't would've made them take the damn even if they hadn't asked for it. It "saved jobs" by making us pay for it. Laissez Faire is only fair . . . They wouldn't have truly gone under either. But when you give in to unions and pay uneducated workers twice what they'd earn elsewhere, you deserve to pay the price for not having enough of a sack to manage your company properly.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:20 PM
It is somewhat of an illusion. The fords sit more level than the HDs do. This makes it look like the fords sag more which in reality they don't. So you are not really worried about nothing. Just go look at how both stock trucks sit unloaded.

Quick Reply: Convince me not to by a Chevy HD