F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Oil/tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil/tranny leak

Hey all I just bought an 89 250 5.0 yesterday as a winter truck. Anyway the truck was used as a farm truck and the guy I bought it from said its not driven much and yesterday was the most it had been driven in six months. Anyway I drove it home going 65-70 on the highway about a 40 minute drive. Seemed to drive smooth, but it would stutter/jerk every now and then, it also puts out some white smoke from the exhausts. When I got home and let it sit I noticed a pretty good sized leak under the tranny. I have a short YouTube video I will post the link to of the leak. I was thinking possibly rear main seal. What do you guys think about these issues?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, that's what happens to vehicles that sit for long periods of time and then are run hard again... The seals could have dried out a bit and then you take it out and haul it at 65-70 mph for 40 minutes and it starts to leak...

What I'd do is drain the oil and fill with some of that 'high mileage' motor oil and run it around town or around the 'farm' for awhile to let the seals get some moisture back to them and it might seal itself over time...

The main thing to do is at least get it running and up to temp every couple of days for like a month or so and the seals should swell up again and you should be good...

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Figured. I was planning on changing the oil tomorrow. Ill see how it goes

Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If you are really feelin' it, degrease and pressure wash under there, add some UV leak detector dye, and trace it down in the dark with a UV light.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Quick question guys, I just replaced the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. It started up fine, let it run for a minute, revved the engine a few times then turned it off. While doing the spark plugs I disconnected the negative battery terminal of course.

I went to go start it again and it won't start, almost positive it's the battery. The negative terminal is grounded and it snug on the battery post, does it just need a jump start?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
You posted asking whether it needs a jump before trying it?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes. My car was blocked in the garage and my wife wasn't home for another three hours. I figured it out though.

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Yes. My car was blocked in the garage and my wife wasn't home for another three hours. I figured it out though. V

Quick Reply: Oil/tranny leak