F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 08:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Don,

I'm sorry I didn't see this post for a few days, we've been busy getting ready to go to SEMA tomorrow!

Once you clear the ECU, that's really all you need to do on that Excursion PSD. Any hardware specs would not be publicly released for obvious reasons. Just clear the ECU after removing the Superchip, & you'll be all set.

If you want to go over anything specific, please just give us a quick call is your best bet right now. We're leaving for SEMA 10/30/01 @ 10am & will be there in Vegas the rest of the week, so we won't be seeing any email until next Monday. So if you need to communicate with us before then, please just give us a shout by phone, as we'll be available off & on throughout each day & evening while we at SEMA.

Talk to you soon!

Old 10-30-2001, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb ????????????????????????

hey guys I dont own a psd but my mother does, its a 99 350 4x4 long bed and i was just wondering why the towing capicaty goes down when you add a more powerful program...maybe be an ignorant ??? but oh well..........

Old 10-31-2001, 09:52 AM
Re: ????????????????????????

Originally posted by 5.4lariat
just wondering why the towing capicaty goes down when you add a more powerful program

The towing capacity doesn't go down, where did you hear this??? The chip doesn't change the towing capacity one way or the other. What the chip does is give you more hp and torque (plus some other things like better shifts on an automatic) Because of the added hp/torque, the turbo gets hotter faster and boost also rises. These need to be watched via gauges. Because of the higher pressures, you can blow head gasgets, or even melt your turbo. Thus the need for gauges, bigger exhaust and better air intake. The lower chips that are rated for towing only need the gauges for you to keep a watch on everything. But as far as actually lowering your towing capacity, nope, it doesn't do that. I think it actually rasises it because of the added torque but you can't go changing Ford's spec's on towing just because you've added a chip. I've found my truck pulls better with the chip. I can get it moving easier/faster than when I don't use the chip.

I just thought of one more thing to add: if you're talking about adding one of the racing chips then yes, you should not be towing with that chip. Note the word "racing", it's not for towing and could cause MAJOR damage to the engine if you tried to tow with it. Because of the load you would be trying to tow, Heat and boost rise way too fast for the exhaust and air intake to compensate for it. So in this case, your towing capacity is still the same but because of the chip, if you tried to tow, you could do some nasty things to your engine. There are chips rated for towing and these are the ones that should be used.

Last edited by Tina; 10-31-2001 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2001, 06:33 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 5.4 lariet,

Tina is correct on this one with regards to our "standard" Superchip performance program for the PSD's, which adds 60+ horsepower & 115 lbs./ft. of torque; that program does not reduce your towing capacity. This power level was picked because it was the highest level at which you can tow the full rated capacity up a mountain and still have safe EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures), and not have to do any other modifications to the vehicle, with some additional safety margin.

However, if you step up to the Offroad program, which adds 80+ horsepower, then your towing capacity is reduced to just 4000 lbs., and you have to do additional mods.

If you go all the way top our Extreme program, which adds 100+ horsepower, then you cannot tow anything at all, and have to do more modifications.

The reason the towing capacity drops when you get into the very highest power levels is primarily a matter of what happens to the EGT's, they'll eventually get too high for safe operations under heavy loads at those extreme power levels. We can easily make *tons* of power in this motor, and more power helps you pull your load, but you eventually reach an end point in terms of the combined effects, and hence what we recommend with regard to towing capacities with those highest power programs.

Old 11-17-2001, 05:34 PM
I have a hypertech performance chip in my 2001 F-250 4x4. Works awesome. Best one out there in my opinion

Quick Reply: Diesel Performance Chip