F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Performance Chip

Does anyone have information on performance chips for the Power Stroke Diesel? If so, what kind of HP and Torque upgrades can one expect?

Ben D

Old 09-02-2001, 09:27 PM
Check with Mike T on the Computer Chips section of this board for a SuperChip. I have one in my truck (Adds 60 hp, 115 torque, See signature for link to their homepage) and love it. The truck used to make a lot of smoke and noise until 40 mph when the torque converter locked up, then it would really take off. Now it just flat out goes. I also have an EGT indicator and Trans Temp indicator, The EGT went up no more than 50-60 degrees to 1150 max and the trans hasn't gone up at all.

There are also chips from Western Diesel, Tina on this board has one and will be able to tell you how it does.

Check out www.ford-diesel.com they are "all diesel, all the time" and have a lot of good information.

Old 09-03-2001, 08:19 AM
Re: Diesel Performance Chip

Originally posted by Ben D
Does anyone have information on performance chips for the Power Stroke Diesel? If so, what kind of HP and Torque upgrades can one expect?

Ben D

Old 09-03-2001, 08:31 AM
Arrow Diesel Chip

Originally posted by scamp
Check with Mike T on the Computer Chips section of this board for a SuperChip. I have one in my truck (Adds 60 hp, 115 torque, See signature for link to their homepage) and love it. The truck used to make a lot of smoke and noise until 40 mph when the torque converter locked up, then it would really take off. Now it just flat out goes. I also have an EGT indicator and Trans Temp indicator, The EGT went up no more than 50-60 degrees to 1150 max and the trans hasn't gone up at all.

There are also chips from Western Diesel, Tina on this board has one and will be able to tell you how it does.

Check out www.ford-diesel.com they are "all diesel, all the time" and have a lot of good information.
Diesel chip
I am currently using aHypermax chip,ATS 4" mandural bent exaust and K&n air filter. This setup is super. The only problem is hard shifts in 2nd. to 3rd. and 3rd to 4th. under full load. But this baby feels and responds like a gas engine.

Old 09-03-2001, 12:50 PM
Thumbs up

I've got a Superchip. Started with 50hp and had Mike upgrade it to 65 (It's 65hp, right Mike???) I'm towing so I need to stay in the lower hp range for a chip. This chip works GREAT!! Plenty of power to get my 30' fully loaded travel trailer moving and keep it moving up and over mountains. I've also got gauges, a must if you're towing and using a chip. EGT stays in a normal range and goes up near 1200 when pulling the steepest mountains. It's never gone over to any dangerous levels, even when I've pushed the truck to work harder. I get very little smoke and then only when going WOT under load. Meaning I'm trying to take off too fast and I've forgotten that I've got the trailer behind me I've had the air box TSP done and I use a Western Diesel air filter www.westerndiesel.com I've not had to do anything with the exhaust but it's on the "list"!! There are other chips, some for towing and some for just going faster. You need to research all of them and figure out which you need for your type of driving. I got mine here and Mike gives a pretty good discount for members. If you find prices lower on the Superchip than his, then bring it to his attention and he usually will make good on his price too.

Old 09-03-2001, 12:55 PM
Tina, sorry about that. I must have confused your gauges and your chip. You know what thet say about getting older, the first thing to go is . . . .

Scott

Old 09-15-2001, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Tina, nice to see you again, hope all is well with you & the family!

Yes, that program you have right now is giving you about 60-65 hp, and the torque numbers are ranging from about 112-120 lbs./ft., call it 115. We were able to get a little bit more power and still not limit the towing capacity at all or require other modifications in those later programs, which is what you have now. Nice to see those safe EGT numbers!

We can always lean on them harder, we can easily add well over 100 horsepower and 250 lbs./ft. of torque, but of course, as you get up into the higher level programs, you statt limiting how much you can tow, and you have to do other modifications to support those power levels, and to keep the EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures) in line. In other words, with performance chips for these Powerstroke diesels, it's not a matter of how much power can one chip make versus another, any chip can add lots of power very easily, it's what happens as a *result* of how that is done that shows the differences. So with the higher power levels, you start loosing towing capacity & have to do other modifications to support those levels.

For those reasons, the vast majority of our Powerstroke diesel customers choose what we call the "standard" performance program, which is rated at 60 hp & 115 lbs./ft. That will vary a bit, the range is 60-65 hp, and 112-120 lbs./ft. on the torque.

For those who aren't towing heavy loads, or who are racing, the Offroad and then the Extreme programs are availalbe as well, for those who have to have even more power.

Take care, & thanks for your post Tina!

Old 09-18-2001, 03:04 PM
can you gat a flipchip with the 60hp and one of the stronger ones?

Old 09-19-2001, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up

Yes!! But because of the more powerfull side of that chip, you will really need to do some modifations to your truck. You will need gauges, mainly a pyrometer to keep a check on your egt temps of your turbo. You will need to open the exhaust and add a less resrtictive air box. Check out this site www.westerndiesel.com They sell everything your gonna need but let me warn you, IT AINT CHEAP!!! I'm running just the Western Diesel air filter, which does a very good job with just my standard Superchip. You would need the Ram Air kit. I've also seen their exhaust system and to just say it's nice is not doing it justice. It's VERY VERY nice!! (just wish I could afford it) Their gauges are first rate and their pyro gauge is the best I've seen on the market. You'll need to get in touch with Mike Troyer here about the flip-Superchip, he can give you way more info than I can about which two programs to put on the chip.

Old 09-20-2001, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Mikey88,

Sure, we have a number of PSD owners running combos like the 60 hp program on one side, and then either the 80 hp or the 100 hp program on the other side, and just about any combination of any 2 programs you can come up with, that's easily done.

As Tina correctly mentioned, once you go above the 60 hp program, then you do have to do other modifications to the vehicle, such as opening up the intake & exhaust as well as an EGT gauge, and we can supply all of those components. You also limit your towing capacity to no more than 4000 lbs. with the 80 hp program, and no towing at all with the 100 hp program, so those are things to be aware of.

If you'd like to go over these or any other details, etc., just give us a shout!

Old 09-20-2001, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Tina,

Just thought I'd mention in case anyone has a need, we're doing airbox elimination kits for the Powerstroke diesels now, as well as exhausts, etc. Nice kits that work very well & look sharp, the PSD owners love them.

As people keep asking us to carry more items, we keep adding to the list.

Old 09-23-2001, 11:15 AM
How come you cant tow with a higher end chip? Does it put alot of strain on the transmission?

Old 09-24-2001, 09:09 AM
Hey Fast!!
with the hotter chip (notice that word HOT!!!) your turbo gets hotter. That's why you need the bigger air box to get more air through the turbo and why you need the bigger exhaust to get that hot air out. But if your towing too, then the turbo will get to spinning too fast and get to hot and the rest of the system just can't cool it down fast enough and you tend to melt the turbo. A VERY BAD THING!! That's why the flip chip is such a good idea. Then if you have to tow something it's a lot easier to flip the chip rather than having to remove it and not have any extra hp/torque for a haul.

Old 10-11-2001, 03:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Fast & Tina,

Fast, Tina hit it on the head, when you raise power up to a certain point in those turbocharged Powerstroke diesel engines, you start getting elevated EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures), and so you have to do other modifications, such as larger exhaust & an opened intake, so the motor can breathe easier and make those higher power levels. Also, once you go beyond our "standard" program, which adds 60-65 hp & 115 lbs./ft. of torque, you start limiting your towing capacity, which is what most PSD owners buy them for, towing heavy loads. With the Offroad program, which adds 80 hp & 150 lbs./ft., you can only tow 4000 lbs. and with the Extreme program, which adds 100-110 hp & 200+ lbs./ft. of torque, then you cannot tow anything. At those power levels, you just can't put a big load on the motor with a lot of added weight. That is precisely why the vast majority of PSD owners using the Superchip run our "standard" program, as the power gain is already very large, and you're still emissions certified, and you don't lose any towing capacity, etc., nor do you need to do any other modificatios to the vehicle.

Tina,

Just a quick thanks for helping out answering questions, etc., as you always do, that's what F-150 Online is all about.

Old 10-24-2001, 09:38 PM
Exclamation

Mike

How’s life treating you?? Do you have any picks or more information on the airbox kit and exhaust kits? Mike I am currently removing the chip and putting the plug and new cover on when the X goes in for repairs. Of course doing the PCM cycle and run for a few days. My question is all electronic devices have an insertion cycle number on there connectors. Do you have information as to the number of cycles your plug or the PCM board was design for? In the old truck it was tough to hide the super charger and took my nicks for it so I am trying to go in stealth mode on this truck. So far so good!!!

don

Quick Reply: Diesel Performance Chip