F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Hitch installation question????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 12:02 AM
cnj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hitch installation question????

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2001 F-250 (see sig) that did not come with a factory receiver hitch. I purchased the correct Ford hitch but went to order the installing hardware from the dealer, and they said that there was NO hardware called out on their microfiche?!?!? This was backed up by 4 other dealers. I suppose I could just go get some grade 8 hardware and do the install, but I believe the trucks that come with the factory installed hitches have "backing plates" with the nuts attached. Now if this is only for "ease of installation" at the factory, then I guess I don't need these "backing plates", but if they actually "strengthen" the frame, then I do need 'em. Can anyone verify that these plates exist on their Superduties, and if so, any idea where I could get the proper part numbers??? Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-15-2001, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they should have the backing plates etc.

Something to consider, with my OEM Ford reciever, it's faded and looks bad after a short time. I see them rusted at 2-3 years. Putnam makes great hitches with great finishes. They aren't expensive either. I priced a Class IV direct bolt on for my Expy at about $170. Try Reese as well. Both are in the hitch biz.

Quick Reply: Hitch installation question????