F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Need Help deciding...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered the v-10... I wanted something quicker than the 2000 5.4 l I have in my 4x4 SC. Thannks for the input guys you have been a great halp. I only put about 5-8000 miles a year on.
I should have it in about 2-3 weeks.

Where can I buy covers and accessories cheap for it. thanks .

Old 10-24-2001, 10:39 PM
Cobra99, congrats on your new truck!

Mach1, sounds like a real stock truck. Hopefully, Ford won't have to void your warranty for all of the mods.
Maintenance in 200,000 miles? The only maintenance scheduled for the first 100,000 is a set of plugs. Sure are expensive! LOL! How about the CPS on the PSD? The HEUI injectors, etc. are cheap after the first 100,000 miles aren't they?
You can sing about the PSD all you want. You can push aside the cold starting issue too. You can talk about all of your mods. Plain and simple, if the PSD is so great, why have you tampered with "perfection?"

Here's so more sad news for you Mach1, read it and weep. This is from another web site and shows another V-10 kicking some PSD butt.

Last Friday night my friend and I went to the local strip and ran 'em. We were the laughing stocks of the strip...2 huge Ford trucks among hundreds of sub 10 second cars, we didn't give a damn. My friends truck is a '01 PSD, CC, 4X4 and my specs are below. We both knew the V-10 would take the PSD, but we were interested in #'s, and how bad it would really be.
Light went green and to my surprise, the first 330' was fairly close (I had about a truck on him), after 330' I walked him pretty hard (hit the hazzards here) until about 1,000ft and then it looked to be pretty even. When it was all said and done my V-10 was a full second faster which was about 3 truck lengths, and 4 mph faster .

My V-10 ran an ET of 17.20 @ 80.78mph with oversized tires and 3/4 tank of gas...the PSD ran a 18.24 @ 76mph. Both trucks are BONE stock. The air was extremely humid...we could see the humidity on our trucks and in the lights from the track, it was almost like a light mist. Hopefuly, I can get a 17.00-17.10 out her in perfect air and some more runs. We had a blast!

Last edited by WWBF150; 10-24-2001 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-28-2001, 04:39 AM
Warranty??what warranty???Been down that street before--If I can I will never take my trucks to ford again...

I'm past the 36000 so all I have left is the 100000 engine warranty...

Yeah--plugs are cheap..but as for leaving them in there for 100000, I guess you haven't been doing your homework..This forum suggests 50k max...Good luck changing them,,While I would rather be doing some mod then changing plugs...

Why do I modify mine--because I can and the engine is detuned to begin with..

Whats a CPS???Keep the fuel system clean and the injectors will last the life of the truck..

Sorry to hear that your stock truck is so slow...haven't had mine at the track yet...

I modified the 4r100 over the weekend..shift kit, deeppan(25qt), and synthetic fliud...

Hope you dont lose a coil pack, or oxygen sensor...

I guess you are the one side-stepping the issue, better keep your v10 dinosaur, because they are gone...diesel is the future..
how much can you pull??and what kind of fuel mileage???this offsets the maint costs....

Old 10-28-2001, 10:00 PM
Mach 1, it's quite apparent that you don't know jack about the diesel engine. You've shown just how limited your "knowledge" is. I really don't care what this forum, or anyone else for that matter, says about sparkplugs in these engines. Furthermore, when this truck reaches 50,000 miles, someone else will be driving it. You hope that I don't need an O2 sensor or a coil pack? Gee, I sure hope that your whole fuel system, including high pressure pump, injectors, etc. does cause you too many problems. The V-10 is a dinosaur? The last that I read, the V-10 WILL be in production next year. The 7.3 PSD WILL NOT be in production next year. I guess that the PSD is the dinosaur, not the V-10. LOL!

Old 10-29-2001, 04:52 AM
Well--that explains alot about you and your truck...You are going to sell it not keep it..I am building a 400000 mile truck..and will keep it that long...

Yes if you are not going to keep it for a couple thousand miles then get the V10...or better yet get the 5.4...

My fuel system will last longer then your next 5 vehicles...remember I like taking care of and tinkering with the truck...

You are right again on the I dont know jack about the diesel...just ASE certified diesel mechanic and work on all brands for some 30 years..everything from cats to Izusu's...Cummins to International's...

You ever run the rack on a Cummins 350??

I guess you are going to run your plugs to 100000???

yes ford will not be using the 7.3, however international will still build them long after the v10 is out of service, and I have one of the limited models that will kill your truck, Plus you still side stepped the issue of diesels in general--this is where all the automotive companies are going espically trucks!!!!

Diesels are going to be the prefered engine!!!accept the eneviatible....

You still haven't said what this cps is???

What mods did you say you had???Are u afraid to touch you truck??Have you been inside the trans yet...I bet you haven't even changed your air cleaner yet...You say you take your truck to jiffy lube to change the oil!!!!

Old 10-29-2001, 10:06 PM
Mach1, do you really think that anyone will believe that you are "just ASE certified diesel mechanic...bla, bla, bla?" You don't know what a CPS is, and you "OWN" a PSD, I pity the poor, unsuspecting person that has you work on their truck. LOL!
Let's face it, you "own" a psd and are a "certified diesel mechanic", that's your preference, based on your "diesel experience." I own a V-10 and just know better.

Old 10-30-2001, 03:47 AM
OK-- two can play this game...

First of all a CPS as you refer to it ...is a Camshaft position sensor

However you are wrong again...Its a crankshaft positon sensor..

Again you lose because most all computer controlled engines are equipped with either of these...The Ecm needs something to tell it where the positon of the engine is, for timing,cycles, feedback loops, etc...

You had better check your books and your lack of basic knowledge and see that your engine is equipped with one of these and is just as probable that the sensor in yours will last as long as the diesel...

AS long as we are on the subject---which Jiffy Lube do you go to change your oil, and which dealership do you take your truck too???

And how many mods do you have to your truck that you preformed????

Do you want me to show you a picture of my certification badges???

No I am not a prefect mechanic, but tell me if you find one, at least I am willing to work on these works of "arts"....

And you still keep side stepping the enevitable question--what are you going to do when gassers are no longer availible in trucks???

Have you read the articles about diesels being the frontier for engines in the 21 century?????

I believe you would leave your plugs in 100000...Why dont you leave them in there forever????

Good luck on your comebacks and speak with a little knowledge not just putdowns.....

As far as owning a PSD...how about we meet in the middle like kansas and play race for about one thousand dollars...

Old 10-30-2001, 09:47 PM
For the last time mr."certified diesel mechanic", the CPS has/is failing with regularity on the PSD, admit it or not. At least you can read and you found that out anyway; It took long enough! How can I be wrong? I only referred to it as a CPS. YOU gave it the name. Furthermore, I don't go to a Jiffy Lube. Someone with your obvious lack of education may work there. It may even BE you. LOL! No offense meant to Jiffy Lube employees either. You want to race my V-10? I don't think that you'd have enough extension cord to get it up here. LOL! Besides a 2WD just doesn't cut it in the snow. One more thing, gas engines will be around for a long time., reguardless of what you have to say about it.

Old 10-30-2001, 09:52 PM
This make's for some interesting reading.
One question though,is ford discontinuing the power stoke deisel 7.3l & when are they doing that ?
Do you know why ?
What is going to be it's replacement ?
I did'nt mean to but in to your conversation,but I just like Ford truck & wondered what was happing in the future.
Thank you.

Old 10-30-2001, 10:13 PM
Red face Intermission...

Hey guys,

Let's cool those jets for a second. I might get flamed for this but I am going to interrupt for a second and offer my opinion. Being in the same position as Cobra99, having to decide between the PSD and v10, I have done my homework and here is my OPINION:

V10- These are the engines people want if the like their truck to run like a car. Fast, snappy off the line etc. Great engine, with potential to be better, i.e. Supercharged etc. Gs mileage pretty much sucks, so not great for long trips, esprecially when towing heavy loads.

PSD- Workhorse engine, not too fast off the line, but will pull a freakin' house form it's foundation. Built to last into high mileage, great gas mileage, TONS of hop up potential, but not as "exciting" as the V10.

Those are my opinions, I think they are fair and not biased at all, just being real...again, not trying to make anyone mad, just offering my .02.

Chris

Old 10-30-2001, 10:48 PM
Good impartial post..However I disagree with you on the not as exciting part--You haven't ridden in a modified one...There's a guy i talk to regularly that turns mid 12's. He is going to race a modified lightning at the track. If this is not exciting then you tell me what is...
Mine-- I haven't had it at the track yet, but I bet it will crack the high 14's..

Yes its true, ford not international is going to discontinue the use of the 7.3 last year is 2002. 2003 is the new 6 liter V8 and its little brother the 4.5 V6..This is a new family of automotive diesel engines slated for light truck duty...These are designed for the pick-up...This is what's different from the 7.3 which is some 20 years old. The 7.3 is a medium duty diesel engine shoe horned into a pick-up turn that is detuned....his is an ideal situation for the high performance...A big block diesel detuned in a truck 1/4 the size it was designed for...

If you have been following along, this makes sense for Ford to replace it with a more sizeable, more efficient, less quiet, automotive engine...

The best thing is the fuel economy and longevity Vs. the gassers, not to mention the smog emission tags that drive the market today...

So yes this is one of the major reasons I stand so firmly on the 7.3...its like the last of the original hot rodded engines...kind of takes me back to the time of big blocks not multicylinder smog engines of today...

Raw power through displacement---kind of like the difference between the harley's and the ricers..torque and low end that will fry the skins off...

Old 10-31-2001, 12:38 PM
Mach1 is just trying to tell you that the overweight dinosaur ie., the 7.3 PSD, is falling by the wayside and is being replaced by a modern diesel engine design. Hopefully, there won't be too many problems as far as particulate emissions. The V-10 and other gas engines will still be in the truck market though.

Old 10-31-2001, 08:18 PM
I can't wait for my truck I have driven over 15 trucks back to back and like the V-10 the best even if the gas is a little bad Oh well. I hear you can put headers on the V-10 and get 30 Hp. Easy. I already ordered air intake kit, better shocks and exhaust... Hell I don't even have the truck yet. I just want to have the parts so when I do I can do it all in one day. The day I pick up the truck I am gonna order a chip too..

Old 10-31-2001, 08:30 PM
cobra99, when you were shopping, did you drive the V-8? Within the next 7 or so months i'll be in the market for an F-250 SD. I haven't actually test driven yet, but i was wondering what you thought about the V-8 vs. the V-10. I will be doing work with the truck, and some towing, but the amount i'll be towing could be anywhere from a snowmobile trailer to a 12 horse capacity trailer. I work at a ranch, so it'll be doing some work. The only reason i think i'd get the V-10 is in case i need to do some heavy towing.

Old 11-02-2001, 01:15 PM
Dan B 360

I have the 5.4l in my 2000 F-150 4x4 and I like it ok. I did drive a 5.4 in the F-250 and it felt like a dog. I drove a lot of trucks it helps because two of my friends own ford dealerships. I like the way the v-10 sounds and runs...

Quick Reply: Need Help deciding...