F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Need Help deciding...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help deciding...

Guys I have a 2000 lightning and looking for a new truck to add.

I am looking at the f-250 diesel and V-10 .. Crew cab 4x4 short box. I will tow on ocassion but not offen and usually not a long distance. Which truck is faster and quicker off the line.

What will the chips do for both of these trucks. Thanks. Scott.

Old 10-17-2001, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

No idea on chips or times, but my local dealer had a lot of F-250s in stock, and my friend and I went and test drove two of them, identical except for one having the V-10 and the other being the PSD. We gave them hell for 5 miles, and the PSD had about 6 or 7 truck lengths on him pretty much the whole time, so at the end, we switched trucks to go back to the lot to see if it was just the driving, and the PSD won again, pretty much the same the whole time. The PSD feels quicker, and from what I have seen, it is, but I don't have any statistics to prove this, maybe I am wrong. Everybody else?

Old 10-17-2001, 04:57 PM
I really would like to know too. I am real close on the order and I am debating. I want to make a good decision. I don't want to buy a truck for a while. Does one's engine make the truck ride or handle different. Someone told me the heaters aren't as good in the diesel. Come on guys need more input. Scott.

Old 10-17-2001, 06:14 PM
all that i can say about the heater on the diesel is that it takes a little bit longer for it to get warm but once it does, damn

my brother in law has a F250 with a V-10 and I can out run him on the road and when we are both pulling our trailers. Mine is a fifth wheel and his is travel trailer, and i know mine is heavier than his

as for ride differences, i have not seen anything really noticeable between mine and the b-n-l

On choosing the engine, how long are you going to keep the truck????

My truck is not even a year old yet and i have 25000 miles on it. Over this entire year the cost of diesel has been under the price of unleaded, so i know i have saved money on fuel costs. My truck gets about 17 in the city and aroun 22-25 on the highway. When i pull my fifth wheel it drops down to about 11-14.
My b-n-l's V-10 gets around 10-13 in the city and maybe 14-15 on the highway. When he pulls his trailer he drops down to around 6-8. So my diesel gets the same mileage pulling as his V-10 does normally.

If you are not going to keep the truck for more than a few years, and are not going to rack the miles up, then the V-10 sounds like it would be a better way for you to go.

just my opinion

Old 10-17-2001, 08:00 PM
Arrow ...and get this:

Add the "basic" Superchip for the PSD...what do you get?? How about a whopping 60HP and 115lbs or torque! Mike Troyer says there are 3 chips to this thing...one that adds 100HP and 250lbs of torque.

The romping of this thing is great, but I also get increased gas mileage in normal driving (<80MPH) at 18MPG (so far on 1600mi.). Add the chip, I get increased MPG in normal (4-6MPG per Mike)...and better if loaded!

I don't know...I think it's worth every penny of the extra expense. It's a bullet proof engine with a 100k drive-train warranty.

I'm glad you said "...new truck to add", cuz you'll never see the performance you have in your L...but damn, it is a work truck with a serious potential of 400HP/750ft. lbs of torque...

Old 10-18-2001, 08:56 AM
Thumbs up

One other little difference between the V10 and the PSD when adding a chip: The V10 must use the more costly premium gasoline but when you add a chip to the diesel, you just continue to use the same ol diesel fuel you've been using. And one other thing, if you do plan on selling the truck a few years down the road, the PSD will hold it's value a lot better than the V10. But if you're planning on keeping the truck, then the PSD will last a whole lot longer. The fuel milage I get with my truck is simular to 993's post.

Old 10-18-2001, 12:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say go with the PSD like everyone else has been saying.

Old 10-22-2001, 06:24 AM
Tina knows her stuff--

Get the PSD---this is the last year you will be able to get the 7.3...

This is a detuned engine that will smoke a V10 and about 2X mileage...

Be careful---the PSD is a real truck--and real trucks dont need spark plugs...

The heater thing is a little true--but I haven't plugged my engine into the 110V...The heater would work faster then a gasser...

Diesel fuel=$1.10 gal here....Propane=1.10 gal....together=real fast, heavy truck that will smoke a stock Mustang....

Old 10-22-2001, 10:02 PM
The stock V-10 will hammer the stock PSD. Been there, done that. Twice the mileage? The PSD will pull 30 mpg+ on the highway? In your dreams only! More resale with the PSD? Duh! You paid $4600 more for it, hence higher resale. That's a no brainer. Don't forget to add for higher maintenance costs and finance costs, plus other related costs. Here, that would include plugging in the PSD in the winter, so it would start. The standing joke here is how to tell when the cold season is starting. We just look for the outdoor cords running to the one PSD in the neighborhood. LOL!

Old 10-23-2001, 04:30 AM
Have you raced any stock PSD's????I believe off the line the V10 pulls, but as soon as the turbo boosts in, its all over!!!

And yes--ok so I only get 1.5X fuel mileage, until we tow then its 2X....

Oh speaking of mileage hows the toon of 400000 miles to you...before you ask yes I have talked to someone that had 325,000 on the diesel with no major work....

The trucks will start just fine without the plug..I was saying that the heater will work instantly..

BTW--how many Mustang have you beat????

Old 10-23-2001, 05:14 AM
7.3 PSDs will really go. our 95 was a great racer except that is couldn't keep traction unless in 4x4... break the tires loose ad 40 and burn those gys a long way... Our PSD was a lemon tho, left us on the road 11 times just quit, sold it. Probably will never have another. Ford just doen't know how to fix them yet I guess. My neighbors f450 keeps losing rear ends he's on #4. Quite discourged.

Old 10-23-2001, 12:48 PM
I have run the stock PSD and, NO, it won't run with a stock V-10. That's part of the reason for my V-10 purchase. You can spool up the turbo all you want, but the V-10 STILL has more stock HP than a stock PSD. I see that the mileage figures have been revised. You're getting closer, but how about the real truth? You talked to someone who had x miles on a PSD? Well, I talked to a cousins, sisters, brothers, uncle and they had x miles on a V-10. The PSD will not start here without being plugged in. Furthermore, you'd better make sure you use blended fuel, plus additives to prevent fuel gelling. All that, and you can STILL plug it in, or it won't start. Don't forget a winter front either, or you'll freeze your backside off in the cold. Sounds like a real deal to me and it only costs $4600 for all of this EXTRA work in the winter. Perhaps, two would be in order, since it would be twice the fun.
AS far as racing Mustangs, etc. I bought a truck to use as a truck. I can beat ANY car here in the winter, since snow and ice are a great equalizer. All this, and I carry 1000 pounds of snowplow on the front of my truck. Oops, can't do that with the PSD in anything but a regular cab, unless we get into the F-450 on up. Sorry I mentioned it.

Old 10-23-2001, 01:46 PM
Arrow his choice

Dang WWBF150, your intensity level is off the charts. Calm down big guy.

First, yep, tried (correction, witnessed -- did not drive) them both...V10 v. PSD. Both 2002's. Race was on a private airstrip. Roughly about 1/8th mile. V10 quicker off line until PSD got going. PSD wins 3/3 races, but less than 1/2 truck length. Very, very close. So close, that the arguement went to it was the drivers fault.
Driver change. Only one race. Same results (I mean, comon, how hard is it to keep the truck straight while mashing on the go-go pedal???). These are two trucks that still had the dealer tag on them with 0 mods. I don't know what would happen at 1/4 mi.

So, back to the point of cobra99's question: PSD is faster, but not quicker off the line.

MPG: I am getting 18.4MPG (it keeps getting better) everyday driving with no load ... next question...(V10 would be lucky to see 15MPG highway...LUCKY)

Cold weather? What cold weather? next...

Snow plow? WTF?? Yea, whatever. If I wanted to plow snow, I'd move up north and buy a big truck. I wouldn't do it with my personal vehicle.

WWBF150, I think you are just mad that you didn't spring the extra dough on the PSD and are now justifying your decision. You are so pi$$ed about it, that you lash out at those who did purchase it.

cobra99, do what you need to do. I think WWBF150 has some legit points concerning the cold weather and possibly fuel issue, I don't know. Performance-wise PSD wins (HP is not the answer). MPG-wise PSD wins. Longevity-wise PSD wins. Torque - PSD wins (which equals better towability in my opinion). Maintanance - V10 wins (although DIY is cheaper than dealer).

They are both awesome trucks and I would be proud to own either one.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:27 PM
murfster, my levels are just fine, perhaps YOU should ease up. Some PSD people have some type of "P***S envy" and want everyone to get sucked into the diesel fumes that cloud their vision. I too, drove both trucks. The PSD wouldn't come close to the V-10. Driver? Yeah right. I've recorded better than 15 mpg highway, so I guess I'm lucky. LOL! The thing is, it's happened many times. There are others with similar experiences too. Cold weather is a BIG FACTOR here. Perhaps, it's too much for you to comprehend, but it's a fact here. There's no way that I'm mad about NOT buying a PSD. I laugh at all of the money that I've saved over NOT getting one. It would take me 100,000 miles plus just to break even after spending the $4600 more for the PSD. I don't keep trucks that long. LOL! BTW, the money I spent for the snowplow is equal to the PSD option. It actually makes money, not causes me to spend it; hint hint, PSD. I really use it on my personal truck too. Perhaps you can enlighten me about that too, since you are so familair with the snow and cold. I'll bet you are driving a 2WD truck too. After all, you don't need the 4WD for the extra $$$$ right?

Last edited by WWBF150; 10-23-2001 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2001, 05:18 AM
You have and a lot of people miss it---when talking trucks you talk RAW POWER---TORQUE---how does 520ft lbs. sound???

I have about 750ft lbs.....hp??who cares....doesnt do anything for a truck....Oh did I mention I have all my power at 1500rpm???
your trruck is still idling

On the maint issue--you did not factor in all the ignition stuff you will replace over the life of your truck(200000 miles)...

I guess you need some education about where Ford and chevy are going in the truck arena's---DIESEL....

In three years 50% of the ford trucks will be diesel.

have you heard about the V6 in the expedition and slated for 03 in the 150's....

Diesel's are less polluting, more powerful, better fuel economy, longer lasting, runs on anything, and more reliable...

You need to talk to some other people because the PSD out runs the V10....stock..

Then for less then $100 in mods will smoke the heck out of the V10...

I would rather smell the diesel fumes then the sulfur fumes of your gasser...

So my fuel mileage is 1.5X and when towing 2X....

BTW how much faster does that diesel start after its plugged in then your gasser????Not to mention I have heat now!!!!

It doesnt snow here.....anyway...

If you haven't considered a diesel, now is the time to start thinking about one....come a day you wont be able to buy a gasser in a truck....I can see it now, you walk in the truck dealer and say I want a gasser in my truck...the salesman takes one look and breaks out laughing " you cant get one of those low power, gas polluting, unreliable, gas hog here"..

These are the facts ...go to the ford web site if you dont believe me...

Quick Reply: Need Help deciding...