F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

hmm...maybe diesel isn't all that great :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 04:39 PM
4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by FamilyRide
I don't know of anyone not getting great MPG out of a PSD.

I don't know of anyone not getting at least 15-16 with PSD around town and low 20's on the hwy.
What? U have got to be kidding me? Almost everyone I know with the PSD is getting 13-15 period...Buddy gets 13 in his 01 platinum series PSD....what a waste of 4500 bucks....

Old 11-20-2001, 02:10 AM
Lightbulb 4x4, You need to re-read this thead!

What? U have got to be kidding me? Almost everyone I know with the PSD is getting 13-15 period...Buddy gets 13 in his 01 platinum series PSD....what a waste of 4500 bucks....

Platinum PSD only geting 13 mpg is a little hard to believe. If true, then somethings bound to be wrong with it.

Mach I
Lets see 7000 lb truck wdiesel 20mpg...this is not good????

rdsii
Mixed daily driving 18/20
Best highway 21
Towing 7500 13.5

Conocoan
I log every tank of fuel I put in my PSD and now have 3,100 miles on her. First tank was 15.6 mpg Next tank was 17.5. Then 20.4 mpg at 70 mph. I pulled my 9,000 lb 5er on a 300 mile trip and got 13.5 mpg pulling with the cruse set at 68 mph!

PSDtoV6
My Powerstroke would get 18 on the hightway at 70. My mileage would always drop when the air filter or fuel filter was due for a change. At 75, mileage was about 15-16. No mods on my PSD.

Murfster
I'm not chipped yet and am getting 18.0 (real fella's) MPG unloaded. Loaded I am getting 13.6 (I keep "wish/watching" my mileage, wanting to go up, but it doesn't).

Ok 4x4, you figured it out. We're all lieing!
Now lets look at your truck as see how much smarter you are than the rest of us.

99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 5inch National Spring lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

4x4, that sounds like a very good looking truck. But, since you failed to list the engine in your sig I have a feeling it was a 5.4.
So you were driving a +/- 7,200 lb truck with 35" tires and a 5.4!?! That had to be a pig! A good looking pig but still a pig.
Here's the way I see it. You bought a nice truck with the wrong engine. Don't condemn us for not making the same mistake! :o

Last edited by Conocoan; 11-20-2001 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:48 AM
I want to squeeze out 23+ with no propane...

Larger tires(85 series) will get me a little...

Syntheic grease in the wheel brg..

A couple of other things up the sleeves...

Yes this is excellent and would be more excellent at 23mpg...

I haven't had it on a road trip yet either, this will be good for another mpg....

Psd's get better mpg then the V10(not even close) or the 5.4(even worse)...

Old 11-27-2001, 03:28 PM
4x4
Re: 4x4, You need to re-read this thead!

Originally posted by Conocoan

Platinum PSD only geting 13 mpg is a little hard to believe. If true, then somethings bound to be wrong with it.

Mach I
Lets see 7000 lb truck wdiesel 20mpg...this is not good????

rdsii
Mixed daily driving 18/20
Best highway 21
Towing 7500 13.5

Conocoan
I log every tank of fuel I put in my PSD and now have 3,100 miles on her. First tank was 15.6 mpg Next tank was 17.5. Then 20.4 mpg at 70 mph. I pulled my 9,000 lb 5er on a 300 mile trip and got 13.5 mpg pulling with the cruse set at 68 mph!

PSDtoV6
My Powerstroke would get 18 on the hightway at 70. My mileage would always drop when the air filter or fuel filter was due for a change. At 75, mileage was about 15-16. No mods on my PSD.

Murfster
I'm not chipped yet and am getting 18.0 (real fella's) MPG unloaded. Loaded I am getting 13.6 (I keep "wish/watching" my mileage, wanting to go up, but it doesn't).

Ok 4x4, you figured it out. We're all lieing!
Now lets look at your truck as see how much smarter you are than the rest of us.

99 F250SD Black Lariat Crew Cab 4x4, 5inch National Spring lift, 35x15.50 Swampers, 16.5x9.75 Weld Scorpios, Full Billet grill, LIne-X liner, Procomp and Rancho shocks, 40 Series Flowmaster, recalibrated speedo, superchipped,K&N filter,2 JL audio 10's behind rear seat, audio art 6channel amp

4x4, that sounds like a very good looking truck. But, since you failed to list the engine in your sig I have a feeling it was a 5.4.
So you were driving a +/- 7,200 lb truck with 35" tires and a 5.4!?! That had to be a pig! A good looking pig but still a pig.
Here's the way I see it. You bought a nice truck with the wrong engine. Don't condemn us for not making the same mistake! :o
Actually your wrong, it wasnt a pig by any means but it was no 8.1L....and no that has nothing to do with this thread...this thread is about about spending an extra 4500 bucks to say hey, i drive a diesel, i'm cool...thats exactly what my platinum friend did and I am LMFAO because he gets worse mileage than me with the 8.1L!!!!!!!!! 4500 bucks goes a long ways in lift kits, tires, wheels, or investments....

btw, i bought my 99 Super Duty for 29K...added about 2500 into it and drove it for two years....guess what, i sold it for 28,500...so basically i drove the truck for 3K for two years....thats a 125 bucks a month...LOL...talk about resale!!!!!!!!!!! who needs a diesel for that???

Old 11-27-2001, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 4x4

...this thread is about about spending an extra 4500 bucks to say hey, i drive a diesel, i'm cool my platinum friend did and he gets worse mileage than me with the 8.1L
btw, i bought my 99 Super Duty for 29K...added about 2500 into it and drove it for two years....guess what, i sold it for 28,500...so basically i drove the truck for 3K for two years....thats a 125 bucks a month...LOL...talk about resale!!!!!!!!!!! who needs a diesel for that???
You wouldn't believe the reason I bought my diesel.....To pick up grocerys and my kids from school!!! I didn't even have the travel trailer until after I bought the truck. And yes, it's a way cool way to pick up your kids from school, at least my 14 year old daughter thinks it's pretty cool for her mom to drive up with a 6 speed manual shifting huge truck just to pick her up.
Actually it's not $4500 option, at least not in 2000 when I bought my truck, mine was $3910 and if you subtract the price of the V10 from that then it's even less.
What brand diesel is the "8.1L"????
Which engine did you have in your 99?? I got my 00 diesel for just over $28k (plus tax & tags) The last time I checked it's resale value, it was still really high. For the first year, I could have sold it for way more than I paid for it. (weird huh)
And as far as fuel milage goes, I'm in the over 20 mpg group except when towing my 30' travel trailer. Then it drops to 10-14mpg All figures are dependent on how fast I'm going and road conditions (hills, mountains, flat)
I love driving this monster, It's loud (not really) smelly (my husband smells the same way) and way cool to drive, especially the manual shift, plus we can travel with our home behind us. And as an added bonus, it gets really good fuel milage.
What more could I ask for (well maybe for it to be paid off would be nice!!)

Old 11-28-2001, 08:50 AM
4x4
Originally posted by Tina

You wouldn't believe the reason I bought my diesel.....To pick up grocerys and my kids from school!!! I didn't even have the travel trailer until after I bought the truck. And yes, it's a way cool way to pick up your kids from school, at least my 14 year old daughter thinks it's pretty cool for her mom to drive up with a 6 speed manual shifting huge truck just to pick her up.
Actually it's not $4500 option, at least not in 2000 when I bought my truck, mine was $3910 and if you subtract the price of the V10 from that then it's even less.
What brand diesel is the "8.1L"????
Which engine did you have in your 99?? I got my 00 diesel for just over $28k (plus tax & tags) The last time I checked it's resale value, it was still really high. For the first year, I could have sold it for way more than I paid for it. (weird huh)
And as far as fuel milage goes, I'm in the over 20 mpg group except when towing my 30' travel trailer. Then it drops to 10-14mpg All figures are dependent on how fast I'm going and road conditions (hills, mountains, flat)
I love driving this monster, It's loud (not really) smelly (my husband smells the same way) and way cool to drive, especially the manual shift, plus we can travel with our home behind us. And as an added bonus, it gets really good fuel milage.
What more could I ask for (well maybe for it to be paid off would be nice!!)
I have no qualms about your choice Tina, congrats on the the ride. The cost of the diesel with the automatic is around 4500 bucks, that is what I was getting at. and yes i had the 5.4L in the truck so there is not subtracting of the v10 cost because the 5.4 is standard. So when you get a diesel, you actually pay for the 5.4L plus the cost of the diesel since the 5.4L is included in the base price.

I think that a chic driving a diesel is cool, hey I am from Texas, I see it all the time. But to say you could have sold your truck for more than what you paid for, I highly doubt it. why wouldnt someone just go in and get the same deal or better than you did on the new one? maybe there are some morons out there but I am not one of them. In fact all you have to do is join some avaition club and you automatically get the X-plan! BTW, my truck was 29K drive out on a 99 LARIAT 4x4 crew cab..so that was with tax tags and license....

As far as mileage, you are right, diesels get excellent mileage cruising at 50-60MPH...but who can drive that slow for an extended period of time?? certainly not me, I cant stay under 75 MPH and if I did I would get run off the road here in Houston.

the 8.1L refers to a gasser, not a diesel....

Old 11-28-2001, 10:35 AM
I am curious, what mileage do you get with your 8.1l, what axle and transmission?

I know PSD have quick and high resale here in Mississippi. Every farmer seems to have one. I bought my 2000 PSD for $31,900 through AutoByTel. Sticker was $38,900. I traded it in 14 months later, and received $29,500, and the dealership sold it for $30,500 a week later.

Old 11-28-2001, 01:33 PM
4x4
12-14....3.73....allison transmission

Old 11-28-2001, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by 4x4

But to say you could have sold your truck for more than what you paid for, I highly doubt it. why wouldnt someone just go in and get the same deal or better than you did on the new one?
As far as mileage, you are right, diesels get excellent mileage cruising at 50-60MPH...but who can drive that slow for an extended period of time?? certainly not me,
Back in 2000, at least in my area, Diesel trucks were hard to come by. I ordered mine and my dealer was able to get it for me. I do keep track of what's for sale (at the dealer or in the newspaper) and prices for used trucks, some without a lot of the options that I have, were selling for more than I paid for my new truck. I actually came "that close" to selling my truck and ordering another but then found out that my dealer would have trouble ordering it because of allocations.
Hey, I too have trouble keeping the speed below 60mph!! I've done different driving with mine trying to find the "best" for towing and mpg. I've found that around 65mph works out to the best mph on my truck. I really hate pulling through those states that restrict my speed to 55 because my fuel milage goes into the sewer. Now unloaded is another story for me, I have a terminal case of lead-footitist Right now I've got about 34k on my tires and I already need new ones!! Fuel milage is still in the 19mpg range. Interstate is over 20. One thing I do need to point out is that I have a Superchip with a manual transmission. This could be why I have the good fuel milage but on the other hand I've read about lots of others on the diesel board that get just as good milage and no chip. Go figure???

Old 12-06-2001, 03:43 PM
25,000 miles, 24 miles on the highway 19-20 in town. 2001 Power Stroke diesel. If you dont get decent mileage out of your diesel stop driving the cummins. :|

Old 12-07-2001, 11:11 PM
please don't take this the wrong way
but 24 mpg, I know allot of people with PSD
and nobody has ever claimed 24 mpg
I need to know 4x4 or 2x4?
auto or stick?
and what gear?how fast where you driving?
and really the cummins is probably the best diesel that they put in a pick-up
It's just the trans behind it and the truck they put it in that's
I don't like
A in-line six balances out better then the V-8's
I think the only reason that Navistar and GM went with a V-8
was becuse of the marketing and every one loves V-8 gas motors

Old 12-08-2001, 08:54 AM
75 on the highway. 3:73. List of mods in signature. And cummins is awful, thats why Dodge is abandoning it and having mercedes build their next diesel motor.

And I have alot more imagination than to lie about gas mileage on a fricken message board.

Old 12-08-2001, 09:20 PM
I would think that since Daimler-Chrysler owns Mercedes that it would only make sense for them to use their own engines. Why buy an engine from Cummins when you already have an in-house diesel? Besides, there'll be even more profit for D-C when using their own motor. If a person likes/wants a diesel, the Cummins is still a good option.

Old 12-09-2001, 02:39 PM
Also a sagging bottom line and realising they could no longer compete with the PSD and the incomming Duramax. The cummins was the Diesel engine to have when it was first introduced. Now its number 3 on the list of performers.

Old 12-10-2001, 01:16 PM
4x4
Originally posted by Swofford
Also a sagging bottom line and realising they could no longer compete with the PSD and the incomming Duramax. The cummins was the Diesel engine to have when it was first introduced. Now its number 3 on the list of performers.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about...Go over to the TurboDiesel Register and tell those guys what you think about the cummins...The cummins is an awesome motor that is easily upgraded and *GETS* the best mileage out of all truck diesels....And Dodge is using an updated cummins in the 03' HD trucks....Do you think ford owns Cummings as well?? LOL

No way in hell you are getting 24MPG unless you are coasting down a bridge in neutral....

Quick Reply: hmm...maybe diesel isn't all that great :(