F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

hmm...maybe diesel isn't all that great :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 05:00 PM
4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...maybe diesel isn't all that great :(

http://forums.ford-diesel.com/ubb/ul...&f=24&t=003074

From my experience, everyone that i know with a diesel does not get good mileage either...maybe too much pride admitting that after spending that extra 4500...

http://forums.ford-diesel.com/ubb/ul...&f=24&t=003233

Old 11-07-2001, 03:17 AM
What kind of mileage do you consider good mileage???

Lets see 7000 lb truck wdiesel 20mpg...this is not good????

7000lb truck w/5.4,V10 15mpg at best(dreaming for most)...

I guess I misunderstood your post...I get 20mpg without propane...

I get 23mpg with propane...in my book this is better then a 4.6 20mpg 4500lb truck...

The new diesel family is going to get better then this...

I am guessing but I would say about 30mpg out of the 4.5 V6..

Old 11-07-2001, 08:32 AM
4x4
i guess u didnt read the first guys post...

"16706
posted 10-25-2001 10:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have 3k on my truck now. I hear stories of 18 and 20 mpg. My best mpg was 14.23 and was on my second tank. Most of the time I am getting between 10 and 11 mpg. Even at 68 mph with the cruise on for 300 miles it still sucks.
Any Ideas????

u know where he says, my best was 14.23 and i usually get 10 to 11!!!!

Again, I do not know anyone that actually gets these so called 18 to 20MPG, andI live in Houston, PSD central......Too much pride to admit it...infact, one good friend of mine just traded in his 13MPG 97PSD for a 02 gasser!

Old 11-07-2001, 02:36 PM
Boy I do not want to get in this PSD/gas war but as you can see I had an Expedition with the 5.4 and now have an excursion with the PSD. My MPG results are:

Expedition
Mix daily driving 12.5/13.5
Best highway 15.8
Towing 7500 6.8

Excursion

Mix daily driving 18/20
Best highway 21
Towing 7500 13.5

By or drive what ever you want but in my case I was filling the Expedition every 4 to 5 days. Now I go 7 to 10. In my case I was not using the Expedition due to the shortest of trip was costing me $10.00 in gas. I want to be able to drive it. My wife was telling about a friend of ours that bought an Excursion with the V10 and gets 20 mpg in soccer mom mode. I told my wife that if she were getting 20 with the gas she would get 30 with the PSD. Come on my Expedition has 2 less cylinders and 1500 pounds lighter and she gets 7 more MPG’s.
Physics being Physics whatever engine you have if you dog it you will pay!!! I am not looking to start wars but want to tell fokes my results. Do with it what you want. I know I was trying to gage MPG savings to see if the PSD would pay off and in my case I am happy I did. I am by no means a diesel lover but if I bought another truck this size it world be a diesel.

Old 11-07-2001, 04:02 PM
4x4
you are chipped as well....what does that add, 3mpg? on a gasser it adds nothing

Old 11-07-2001, 04:12 PM
Talking 20 mpg Excursion!

Show me an Excursion getting 20 mpg and I'll show you one that's being pulled on a trailer idling! Like rdsii said, physics man!

I log every tank of fuel I put in my PSD and now have 3,100 miles on her. First tank was 15.6 mpg Next tank was 17.5. Then 20.4 mpg at 70 mph. I pulled my 9,000 lb 5er on a 300 mile trip and got 13.5 mpg pulling with the cruse set at 68 mph! Ran a little harder and got 12.5 mpg coming back. That's pretty good in my book.

It is true that some do better than others. Of course how the truck is geared and rather it is SRW or DRW, 4x4 or 2x4 matters some but one biggie seems to be the way the computer is programed. Ever been in to gassers equiped just alike but one will out run the other. Same with these trucks. I don't understand it but my mech told me if my truck is reflashed, it could change everything. (Keep that in mind rdsii)

Fuel mileage? That's one of the things diesels do best!

Last edited by Conocoan; 11-07-2001 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:17 PM
My Powerstroke would get 18 on the hightway at 70. My mileage would always drop when the air filter or fuel filter was due for a change. At 75, mileage was about 15-16. No mods on my PSD. Personally, I didn't really buy it for mileage, I wanted pulling power. Pulling our trailer, I would average about 13 at 70 mph. I did get 20 when driving just under 60 over mild hills. Since I got rid of the truck, I bought the V6 for mileage.

Old 11-07-2001, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A close friend of the family gets a new crew cab dually every year as part of a race sponsorship. I asked him about the PSD mileage. He says the old PSD (mid 90's) had the same mileage as a v6. The newer PSD's with the intercooler have worse mileage, comparable to a V8. I don't know what the mechanics are, but apparently, the intercooler causes some kind of increase in fuel consumption.

Old 11-07-2001, 09:20 PM
I think that as long as you don't drive it hard, you can get very good mileage. I can tell it in my car. If i'm driving pretty hard, i might fill up twice in a week, but if i take it easy, i can go a week and a half without a fill up.

Old 11-08-2001, 01:56 PM
4X4

The only think I can do a apples to apples on is we went camping to SC and my buddy has a 00 PSD excursion non chipped and I was chipped when we filled after running neck to neck I took about 4/6 less gals. I do run with the chip out for a while before servicing. MPG are down by 2 but It could be due to my foot in the pedal to makeup for the loss of power.. The bonus with the PSD is I do not have to use premium fuel. The performance improvement is unreal on the PSD. Another interesting factor is my truck broke when it was 2 days old. They loaned me a 350CC PSD and my mileage was much lower than the excursion. Also as you pass 10k the mileage goes up. I also notice in the cold the MPG go down. It's too bad on the 250 and up they do not put MPG numbers to use as a gage for improved MPG.
BTW as other have indicated the towing power is unreal. I drove thru PA West VA and down to SC. The truck only once went out of OD.. I hope this info helps you decisions.. I know I pondered on this for a while.. The V10 is nice and smooth good power etc. I do not want to come across as if I am putting the gassers down “I would never entertain the 5.4 in a excursion or SD”..As I told the Ford salesman was if you gave me a Mobil gas card and paid the bill I would by the V10…

4X4 did you get the SD 2500.. I looked and did like the way it rode.. It was too much for the DM and alison 5 spped.. I handles and rides like a car.. The IFS helps out a lot on that.

Last edited by rdsii; 11-08-2001 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:00 AM
rdsii,

You said you would need a free gas card to own a V-10. Do the math and you might be surprised. For example, you said your old Expedition got 12.5 / 13.5 mpg mixed and a best of 15.8 hwy. My V-10 gets a worst of 11 in town and I have seen 16 on the hwy running 65. But lets use your best mileage of 15.8 mpg and my average of 12.5 for my V-10 and see what the numbers say.

If we both drive 15,000 miles per year your Expedition will use 949 gallons of gas and my V-10 will use 1,200 gallons. At $1.20 cents/ gal that comes to $1,138 per year for you and $1,440 for me with a difference of $301 dollars. I say that $301 per year is not a big deal.

Now lets look at the PSD option. If you average 19 mpg and I stay with my 12.5 mpg and we both drive 15,000 miles / year then you will burn 789 gallons at about $947 and I will still burn 1,200 gallons costing me around $1,400. The PSD saves you $483 per year. Divide that by $4,700 for the diesel option and you break even in 9.7 years. Tack interest on to that $4,700 dollar investment and it takes even longer.

We averaged 15,000 miles per year on our Expedition we traded in thus the reason I used that number. Of course if we drove more miles per year that that then the PSD would pay out a lot quicker. We only pull a 5,000 lb boat a few times per year with it but if we pulled more like you then again, the PSD would start to look better for us. But since my RV is a 5er, pulling was not an issue.

IMHO it is very hard to justify the diesel option unless you pull a lot, drive many miles per year and or keep the truck for a very long time. That said, I think dinosours like mine will eventually be phased out as the world's oil supply dwindles. We will be forced to move to more fuel efficient vehicles. And that's probably a good thing.

Not intended as a flame, just showing the other side of the coin.

Old 11-10-2001, 07:49 PM
Excellent points

Originally posted by Conocoan
... snip ... IMHO it is very hard to justify the diesel option unless you pull a lot, drive many miles per year and or keep the truck for a very long time. ... snip ...
I used your same logical approach with the purchase of my PSD. Yup, the break even is in about 5 years (I'm doing about 30k per year, about 1/2 of that loaded).
I couldn't very well do that with my '99 F150 5.4L efficiently, so using your same logic, I came up with the PSD.

I'm not chipped yet and am getting 18.0 (real fella's) MPG unloaded. Loaded I am getting 13.6 (I keep "wish/watching" my mileage, wanting to go up, but it doesn't).

I'm soon to talk with Mike T. about the chip, and if it turns out the way he says, my loaded mileage will benefit the most.

I plan on keeping the truck for well over 10 years...shooting for 20+, but we'll see.

Old 11-11-2001, 04:00 AM
Every tank I fill till I see the fuel(15 minutes)...W/o propane 19+

with propane 22+...

My SCrew 4.6 gets 20mpg...

Yes I know a lot of people that cant get 15mpg in the psd..

Old 11-11-2001, 09:26 AM
Cool

I plan on keeping the truck for well over 10 years...shooting for 20+, but we'll see.
I hear ya Murfster. That's one reason I went with the PSD in my Superduty. I also plan on keeping this truck at least 10 yrs. I still almost went V-10 but chickened out. Main reason is that I had never pulled heavy with a V-10 and didn't know what to expect. I have no doubt it would do it but took a chance that the PSD would do it easier. Although I've only pulled 4 times with it, I couldn't be happier!

On the topic of fuel mileage, my numbers are posted in this same thread. I asked the mech at my dealership why some PSD's do better than others. (He is supposed to be one of the best in the US but who knows) He said there are many different computer codes and it makes a difference. He also told me that Ford has a new program for the idle knock and after recently installing it in a new PSD, it completely changed the truck. Sound, power, & performance. (Less power, better sound) He also said that if you bring your truck in for warranty work that they may re-flash you with a new code with out telling you. That scared me. I like mine like it is.

I'm soon to talk with Mike T. about the chip, and if it turns out the way he says, my loaded mileage will benefit the most.
I bought the base chip from Mike for my dads 97 PSD and his loaded mileage did go up. He also loves the power. I also plan on the Superchip for mine. One reason is I think WD is just a little to proud of their products and two, I read that the Superchip doesn't mess up the mileage computer as bad as the others due to the way it works. From what I read there are a couple different ways for the chip to regulate fuel and the best way also keeps the mileage computer accurate within 1 or 2 mpg. I wonder if this is another reason Superchip seems to have lower EGT's than some of the others.

Sorry for the long post but I'm overseas right now. I figure since I can't drive it at least I can plan on what to do to it whenl I get back.

Cheers!

Last edited by Conocoan; 11-11-2001 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:52 PM
I don't know of anyone not getting great MPG out of a PSD.

And to add, my Expy with chip, intake and exhaust now get's 14-15 in town and 18 or so hwy and I drive pretty dang hard so I do get better driving like I should. And, when I tow my boat (7000-7200 depending on fuel and water) I get 12-14 running respectivly about 50-70 including AC.

I think stock I wouldn't get near that towing. Around town I got 12-13 and 15-16 at best on the hwy no matter how I drove.

I don't know of anyone not getting at least 15-16 with PSD around town and low 20's on the hwy.

Quick Reply: hmm...maybe diesel isn't all that great :(