I have some questions:)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001 | 12:04 AM
|
Talking I have some questions:)

I am thinking bout getting a 2002 ford f-250 but want to know if it will fit me

also should I get diesel or v8?

heres what i am gonna be doing

1.Mudding, I am talking bout some pretty thik mud, gumbo mud, and regualr thick mud

2.snow, enough saidit sows where I live and I need somethgn to get through, from my house to about 3 miles up the road the snowplow trucks dont get that much of the snow off the road..

3. towing and hauling. towing stuff like boats,jet skis,ect.... and hauling things like rocks,gravel,dirt,foru wheelers, ect.....

4.pulling stuck trucks out of the mud

I also want o be able to make thge truck loud...

diesel or gas which should I go for? I do like the fords 6-speed in the Powerstroke, but I hafta have a 4x4 manual shifter can i get it?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2001 | 06:34 AM
Get the V10 or Diesel. Skip the V8.

The 6 speed is now available in the gas trucks for 02.

Either engine will work very well for what you want. The diesel will be 500+ pounds heavier. Don't know if that helps in the mud.

The V10 has a loud raspy roar, not a deep rumble. You can make a diesel loud but it doesn't sound like a V8 either.

If you go gas get the 4.30 gears. 3.73's are the only option for the diesel.

Old 12-04-2001 | 08:57 AM
Thumbs up

I too would suggest either the V10 or the PSD. I don't think the V8 will be able to handle all the stuff you want to put this truck through. I personally would lean towards the PSD, more low end torque. You will have to keep in mind about the diesel being heavier than the V10 but it is able to pull itself (and a trailer) out if it has to. There's a girl on the diesel board that drove her 6speed 4x4 accross the US in the Pony Express run. She was pulling one of the horse trailers. She said where they drove there was NO roads and lots of times only Her and the others with diesels were the only trucks able to move.
I had a 97 F150 that was a 5speed manual with the manual 4x4. It had two shifters on the floor. My F250 is 4x2, so I've only got the one shifter but I'm pretty sure you can get the manual 4x4 too. It's something I really didn't check out because I didn't get 4x4 this time. I think I might just drop by my dealer and find out

Old 12-04-2001 | 05:45 PM
I say go with the V10 or PSD as well I sure the standard V8 can get the job done but the V10 and PSD will give you more power to get the job done and then some.

Old 12-04-2001 | 09:23 PM
Ditto's on what V10 man said, I am very happy with my set up. The V-10 has a lot of spunk, you might be disapointed with the 5.4. Just my opinion.

Old 12-05-2001 | 10:45 AM
Arrow PSD or V10

Although my bias is towards the PSD you really can't go wrong with either choice. I wanted MPG+towing torque...hence...PSD. I echo what's already been said...stay away from the 5.4L on these trucks.

Old 12-05-2001 | 01:39 PM
I have a v-10 crew cab V-10 and love it... GO V-10... You will like it...

Old 12-05-2001 | 01:44 PM
I have a v-10 crew cab V-10 and love it... GO V-10... You will like it...

Old 12-05-2001 | 06:22 PM
Id suggest the PSD. I have 4x4 Off Road package 250. I live in the boonies and have pulled just about everything you can imagine (We have a 32 foot cattle trailer.) I live in the mountains of WA State and have never once come close to being stuck in the mud or snow. I do however have a few mods, tires chip etc. The PSD provides umatched low end torque, which is really what you want if your towing any major loads. While it is heavier than the V10 the mileage and performance just out weighs the 10 in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2001 | 08:06 PM
To tell you the truth, the V8 is all the motor you need in the F250- SuperDuty. I m getting sick of all the BLAH BLAH v10 Blah blah PSD. They are both good engines, and I have nothing to say about them. But the 5.4L v8 is a powerful motor good for towing and pulling 10000lbs up the steepest hills. My 8 has never faltered or failed and I am not one of those guys who talks the big talk. I actually use my Superduty for what it is designed. TOWING PULLING AND LOADING. to me the truck isnt a status symbol, It is a neccesity. Besides the 260 hp v8 is more of an engine than the 460 ever was.
2001 F250 superduty styleside 138" W.B. 5.4L 3:73 L.S.
By the way EAT MY GAS Mileage LOL

Old 12-06-2001 | 11:18 AM
I work and live on the family Ranch. The "Big Talk" is our way of life. The 5.4 L is in one of the SD pick ups we have. And it sits there never to tow any of the large trailers. It bogs down in mud, it cant get over the passes. It operates as a feed truck now a days and it yet a yearling. The 10 and the PSD were put in the SD's for one reason, they are the only thing that can move a load thats bigger than 4000 pounds. As for the 460, there will never be another gas engine that will ever replace my 1994 F350 460. Shes the Hoss of Hoss's.

Old 12-08-2001 | 10:16 PM
How much muddin' vs pullin'?

1.Mudding, I am talking bout some pretty thik mud, gumbo mud, and regualr thick mud

V-10 with 4.30 gears. Extra weight is not your friend in the mud and it's already a heavy truck as it is. While the PSD's added low end torque would be great for cleaning the tires the weight would be a killer.

2.snow, enough saidit sows where I live and I need somethgn to get through, from my house to about 3 miles up the road the snowplow trucks dont get that much of the snow off the road..

V-10 or PSD should be fine.

. towing and hauling. towing stuff like boats,jet skis,ect.... and hauling things like rocks,gravel,dirt,foru wheelers, ect.....

V-10 or PSD. These aren't big loads and either engine would be fine.

4.pulling stuck trucks out of the mud

V-10 or PSD with the advantage going to the PSD.

I also want o be able to make thge truck loud...

5.4 V-8 or PSD. The V-10 sounds like a gerbil on steriods. Nothing sounds better than a gasser V-8

diesel or gas which should I go for? I do like the fords 6-speed in the Powerstroke, but I hafta have a 4x4 manual shifter can i get it?

First of all, I wouldn't even consider the 5.4. Check this link for other opinions. http://forums.ford-diesel.com/ubb/ul...&f=20&t=000994

You can get the 6-speed behind the V-10 or the PSD as well as a manuel shift transfer case.
I would break it down to how much muddin' you will be doing vs how much pullin'.

Pros for the V-10:
1 Quite smooth power with no smell! And it will have enough power to do the job.
2 And, only a $600 option!
Cons for the V-10:
1 When you add larger tires you increase unsprung weight and cut your gear ratio. Your power will go down and your fuel usage will really jump. Especially when pulling.

Pros for the PSD:
1 People running larger tires on the PSD trucks report that it doesn't hurt power and fuel economy like it does the gassers.
2 Easy to build big power with a small amount of money with the PSD compared to any gasser. IE, chip, exhaust.....
3 If you drive lots of miles per year the PSD may save you some fuel in the long run.

Cons to the PSD:
1 Added cost up front to purchase.
2 Smell, noise, heavy front end, a little more upkeep.

Sorry for the long post and good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: I have some questions:)