F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6 Speed or Auto???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6 Speed or Auto???

I am looking at trding in my 00 F-150 2wd s/c 4.6 5speed.I tow a 4500llbs 24ft travel trailer.This rig wasn't to bad at towing but I had tranny problems since I stated towing with it.I am looking at a f-250 cc 2wd v-10 and wondering which tranny would be a better choice??Thanks Blueblood

Old 01-28-2002, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

BlueBlood: I too had an F150 4.6 5speed. It was a great truck and I loved the 5speed. I've now got the truck listed in my sig. and of course it's a manual. BIG world of difference between those two manuals. What I have now will tow a house off it's foundation (if I could get enough traction that is) The manual in the superduty is rated to tow and it does a beautiful job of it. For the person that "knows" how to drive using a clutch, you'll have no problems with this transmission. Naturally I think it should be mated with the diesel but the V10 people swear that their engine does just as good a job. If you like having a manual and being able to pick the gear YOU want, instead of having an automatic trying to pick the right gear, then go with the manual. You're also towing a VERY light trailer and whether you get the V10 or a diesel will make no difference. Either engine will make that tiny load seem like nothing is back there. With the Superduty, you don't really have to worry about which (auto or manual) will do the best job, either will. Just pick the one that you feel the most comfortable with. In my case, I tow a 30' TT that weights about 10k fully loaded. The manual was the ONLY choice for me!!

Old 01-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with the manual Take it from me I had a 96 Mustang GT with 5 speed I couldn't find any V8's with a 5 speed so I went ahead and got one with a auto the auto ain't that bad in fact some days I'm glad I got the auto but 90% of the time I wish I had a stick shift so get the manual as you would have regrets after you go to an auto like I did.

Quick Reply: 6 Speed or Auto???