F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Cold weather question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold weather question

Just came back from the mountains and had a problem with the cold weather/snow (single digits).
First, I was stuck for several minutes in the snow, while trying to get unstuck the wheels spun (while in 4x4) in the snow several times. When this happened the ABS light came on, I figured this was normal due to the wheels spinning but the light continued to stay on even after I was free from the snow. The light ended up turning off later when I turned the engine off, it has'nt come back on since. Is this normal for the ABS light?
Also, when I went to get into the truck the next morning the doors were frozen shut, it felt like the door handles would have snapped off if I pulled to hard. I ended up being able to pry one of the doors open. Do you guys in the mid west have problems with your doors getting stuck in the cold weather?

Thanks

Old 01-31-2002, 12:24 AM
hmmmmmmm

I'd say the ABS light is not normal. I've been tremendously, almost hopelessly stuck in snow and never saw the ABS light come on. That was with a '95 f150 4x4. Maybe the ABS is very sensitive and reacted to that situation strangely. The only other thing I can think of is if some snow or mud got into the module and messed things up for a little bit. Definitely research that one. For the frozen doors, never heard it that bad before. And I see freezing temps regularly here in CT. I don't know what would fix that, sorry.
Good luck with everything.

Old 01-31-2002, 01:56 AM
I had my doors freeze so bad in NY I had to kickem to get them to open. But it was a GMC my dad gave me while in school.......it didnt run after graduation.

Old 02-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Got your answer

I just read in another thread that silicone spray applied to the weatherstripping will help the doors from freezing shut. Think I'll give it a try myself.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:05 PM
The silicone trick on the rubber weather stripping works. The ABS light might have been because of the stuck, or rocking it back and fourth, might want to have it checked out JIC.

Quick Reply: Cold weather question