F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

which oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question which oil

Just curious what 15w-40 oil y'all were using in the PSD as well as which filter. My dad just got a PSD which has fired up the green eyed monster that lives inside of me (my wallet has a nice way of sending him back to his cave). I'm sure I'll be relaying a few more questions for him since this is his first diesel. Thanks guys!

Old 02-26-2002, 06:02 PM
I use the Rotella always have. Its whats recommended. However I know there is a big synthetic group as well that swear by the synthetic. I dont know much about it so I cant offer any advice on that. I can only say Ive had no problems using the standard Rotella.

Old 02-27-2002, 04:16 AM
Nothing against you guys, and I was too using Rotella, but there was so debate on the clingability and dry starts about Rotella.

I have since switched to Delo, which has always been good. Delvac is also at Wally world...

I am holding out for the remote by-pass filter set and go with synthetics up to 30k miles.

Have talked with people that have over 130,000 miles on their syn oil..

If you go with the extended oil change then you have to use an extended life filter...

The filter I use is the mobil one(2 dollars more then the motorcraft). I am up to 5k oil changes and looking to go to 6k on dino oil w/extended life filter. The oil comes out still transparent and is still clean!!!!

Old 02-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Right on, Ill have to check that out. Thanks

Old 02-27-2002, 08:41 PM
I started out using Rotella oil but, the last few oil changes at 4,000 miles when I was using it, the oil was grey not black. So, I switched to Valvoline 15W-40 fleet oil and Hastings oil filters and the oil seems to be better coloration and consistancy when I drain it out. I might switch to a synthetic oil later.

Old 03-01-2002, 08:38 AM
Thumbs up

I'm running CAT diesel oil in my truck. I started with CAT reg diesel oil and when I had about 20k miles on the engine, I switched to CAT full synthetic. I also buy my oil filters from the CAT dealership. With the reg oil, I changed it at 3k intervals. With full synthetic, I change the oil filter only every 3k miles and change the oil at 10k miles. I am not running an oil bypass. I do pull an oil sample at every filter change and send it in to CAT to have analysied. My truck runs quite well doing the oil changes at the 10k mark. And the cost is about the same for reg oil verses synthetic with the way I changed my oil. (that's with averaging the cost of oil + filters for a year of changing oil)

Old 03-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Question

Tina,

Sounds like your oils working out pretty good for you. Oil Analysis don't lie. Do you know who supplies the oil to Cat? Just curious. One thing to be aware of though. They could switch suppliers without your knowledge. For instance, Conoco used to supply all of Ford's Motorcraft oil but now I hear they get it from two sources. You just have to hope they are going to buy good oil to put their company name on. That's the risk you take when you buy your oil through a middle man like Cat or Ford. On the other hand, from what I've read, the Conoco oil was some of the best on the market and with the lowest cost. They sure don't spend any money on advertising.

I am waiting until I reach 10,000 miles and then plan on switching to synthetic. Probably Amsoil but I may go with Mobil's Delvac. I already have my Oilguard by-pass filter and I will also do 10,000 mile drains with oil anaylisis.

I like the idea for synthetic in the diesel due the the added heat the turbo generates. And if you shut your engine down with the turbo hot you stand the chance of coking the oil in the turbo. Synthetic will stand up to that much better than dino oil.

One more question Tina. Did you notice easier starts in the winter when you switched to synthetic?

Old 03-03-2002, 04:06 AM
Rotella has a 5w-40 fully synthetic out...I am going with the by-pass and amsoil 5w-30 synthetic...

I am using a home made blend- mobil 1 15w50 syn 5qts and the rest delo...goes 5k with the mobil 1 extended life filter..oil comes out golden brown but never black...thinking about going to 6k miles in between...

Old 03-03-2002, 04:13 AM
Tina,,have you been following what is going on at the fd.com site with the cackle as far as the fuel systems and the orings that are sucking air into the fuel systems....

This is important and I did the fuel pump one and I could tell the difference in the engine sound...

Old 03-03-2002, 08:43 AM
Thumbs up

Conocoan: CAT oil is Mobil, their synthetic is Delvac 1. CAT does "extenisve" testing on the oil they use in their heavy equipment. IF they were to change brands, it would only be to one that's better than Mobil. As far as shutting down the engine with the turbo too hot, I never do that. I've got a pyrometer gauge and that's one of it's main tasks. I make sure it's dropped below 300 degrees before shutting off the engine. I also don't much have to worry about long cranking times because of cold weather. We've only had a few days that were really cold. Today it's supposed to be in the 70's (this is a plus for living on the coast) I do add a fuel additive at every fill up and during the "so called winter" I use one that's for cold weather. This additive tends to make my truck run a bit quiter even though I don't have the dreaded cackle of some PSD's.

Mach1: My truck doesn't cackle and since I started adding a fuel additive, it runs even quiter. I quess I would come under the heading of, if it runs great, don't try to fix a problem that's not there.

Old 03-04-2002, 04:42 AM
Tina, what they are finding is aerated fuel in the injector fuel paths.. these fuel systems are a minature hydraulic system, when you introduce air in them they break down and dry fire...they have proven this with clear fuel line and visual detection. I have already started on my mods and I can tell an audible difference..the o rings in the connectors are sucking air and introducing it into the fuel system...The return line is deposited right next to the pick up tube in the tank which further complicates the problem....I am on my way to dropping the tank, and doing more mods....

Quick Reply: which oil