F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Installing 4" suspension. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing 4" suspension. Any tips?

I am installing a 4" Pro Comp suspension lift on my 2000 F250 PSD this weekend. I was curious if any of you have done this already and may have some helpful hints.

Old 04-18-2002, 08:34 AM
Hey Waller71,
Did a Superlift 4inch kit last year and just put an 8inch kit on last week. The install is fairly simple. If you have access to a lift, it makes matters much easier.

Advice:
#1 Follow the directions in the order that they recommend. (my mistake was thinking that I knew more about the truck then the lift people. I was wrong)

#2 Have a STRONG friend available to assist you. PArts are heavy but luckilythere are not many of them.

#3 Be careful with the track bar lowering bracket. There are 3 bolts holding this on. The two bolts that are really close together have nuts on the back that reside in the frame. Since you can not hold the nuts with any type of tool (due to their location) Ford designed a little plate that actually has the 2 nuts on it. This plate holds the 2 nuts and allows you to pull them out of the frame at the same time by a tab that sticks out of a frame hole. nice idea. BUT.... A) Be careful and do not let the whole plate fall into the frame rail. Good luck getting it out if so. B)Do not use a high power impact gun like I did to tighten those two bolts onto the new drop trackbar bracket. YEs you can spin the nut off the plate resulting in you having to weld the nut back on. Use the correct torque.

#4 DO re-tighten everything after driving for a little while. My bolts were darn loose after 100 miles but were good for 2 years after the 2nd torquing.

#5 If you got a new pitman arm, get a puller to get old one off. Impossible without.

#6 During the whole installation, watch your brake lines! Unless you are taking the calipers off (unnecessary) there are times when everything is hanging and you do not want the front axle supported by brake lines.

#7 Have fun and take your time. Plan for a good portion of the day.

Any questions before Friday 4pm EST, just email me. chaydu@microserve.net

Old 04-23-2002, 09:30 AM
So how did it go??

Old 04-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Everything went fairly well. The entire process took about 1 1/2 days, but I was working by myself for all but 3 hours. The directions were all simple and easy to follow. Installing the springs was harder than I had anticipated, but I guess thats par for the course.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Good Job!
Yeah, it is tough with only one person.

Post some pics when you get a chance!

Old 04-26-2002, 11:41 AM
I had the same problem with those friggin nuts on the bracket, spun one completely off. What a pain to get out... I used JB weld to hold it back in, torqued it back down with no problem. Yes, I was sweating that one...

Old 04-29-2002, 09:20 AM
Glad to see someone else having a problem with that bolt!! It's always something simple though that adds an hour to your install!

Quick Reply: Installing 4" suspension. Any tips?