F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow clutch problem

Just a heads up for other powerstroke/six speed owners. I had to take the F550 in for a problem in the operation of the clutch. I have had a vibration in the pedal and a rattle when releasing the clutch. the solution was to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, fly wheel and trans. input shaft. Aparently the throw out bearing went bad, damaging the input shaft and the pressure plate. (Ford has an updated flywheel). This truck has about 94000 miles on it, 99% hiway so none of this was covered under warranty. I had really hoped to get a little longer service out of this truck before a major repair. The '99 450 went 300k on th orig. clutch -- guess I hoped for better

conner

Old 05-28-2002, 12:43 AM
Suspended for Violation of Vendor Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey conner....here's a little inside tip for ya. There is an aftermarket input shaft repair kit for the horrific ZF 6. It involves a pilot bearing that is about 3 times the size of Ford's 'latest and greatest' bearing and a wear sleeve that gets installed over the old pilot bearing surface. The cost is around $40, which is nowhere close to the cost of a new input shaft and labor to overhaul it. It's a huuuuge money saver and is light years ahead of what Ford is doing. Sorry I told you too late!

Quick Reply: clutch problem