F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Steering Stabilizers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizers

Has anyone else had to replace there steering stabilize shock? At 60,000 miles mine started leaking pretty badly so I had to replace it.Luckily it was only a 37 dollar part.It also occured to me (after I installed the new one) that this shock has no boot so all the dirt, dust, mud and whatever else you throw at it can get on it and start doing more damage,eventually causing another failure.Solution: put a shock boot on it for preventative maintanence.Its only a 5 buck item (at the most, mine was 3.99)and should extend the life of the shock considerably.Just a heads up for fellow superduty owners

Old 05-06-2002, 09:59 PM
I replaced mine with a Rancho, the stock one was pretty shotty.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:53 PM
I agree it is pretty shotty, but none of the local parts houses could get me a rancho.Heck, I was doing good to get a monroe replacement.2 out of the 3 shops around here said the part was on national backorder.The 3rd shop said no problem we have 4 of them in seattle, one will be here in 2 days.

Old 05-07-2002, 02:29 AM
Ah you can order one direct from Rancho.

Old 05-07-2002, 03:45 AM
oops

WEll its a little late now, but I will keep that in mind.I should have checked there but I was kinda lazy and needed a new one asap.The oil was literally dripping out of it and the steering of this truck was being comprimised (I swear my turning radius had decreased considerably after the shock started leaking) Thanks for the pointer

Do you know where I can get ahold of chrome diff cover for the front diff?The local shops can't seem to locate one, yet I saw this lifted 4x4 crew cab sporting one today.I already have the rear one ordered.

I am all new to the superduty world, I just traded myf150 in for this a couple of weeks ago.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:16 PM
Any 4x4 shop could get one I would imagine, I dont really mess with that stuff to much so Im not sure.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:22 PM
Thumbs up

Hey Guys.

Since I didn't order the Off Road package, my truck didn't come with one. Luckly I had pre-ordered a Rancho stabilizer with boot included from Summit Racing for $50 not to mention it is a hell of alot better than the cheap stocker. Locally the shops wanted around $48 for the bracket and $50 for the RS5000 Shock. Heck of a deal if you ask me. For anyone thinking about getting one from Summit Racing, the ad says that it doesn't come with the boot, but it does.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2002, 06:12 PM
oh no

Well something is wrong in steering stablilzer land (again).Last night I noticed that the new one has started leeking.Hmmmmmmm.I looked at the mounting bracket at it appears that it is to far towards the drivers side.The tube that it mounts to ( I don't know what its called) has a some smallish grooves in it that look like the U-bolts from the bracket should fit it perfectly.Beats me......Anyone?At any rate, I am ordering a Rancho one for it.I think am gona stop by the Dealer and crawl under a new one and see if if the stabilizer bracket U-bolts are supposed to be in the grooves.
Phildac, How does it drive without a stabilizer?Is it acceptable to just remove my stock one until the rancho one gets here?

Old 05-18-2002, 06:41 PM
The reason you have a stering stablizer is when you go 4wheeling it helps you keep the ruts or rocks from knocking the wheels and steering wheel arround......YOU dont have to have one...it just helps alot with larger tires than a 32"

Old 05-18-2002, 07:03 PM
ok

my tires are soemthing like 32.6 inches in diameter and I don't plan on doing any offroading anytime soon, so it should be ok

Old 05-18-2002, 07:10 PM
I think you should be fine...i have 31 in tires on my f150 and it is 2wheel drive and i dont need one...

Old 07-01-2002, 04:21 AM
What a mess..........

Bringing this one back to the top so you can hear how my install went.......(I just got the rancho shock)

First of all the part that mounts to the tie rod (?) was forced into the wrong place by the previous owner,wich bent the heck out of the u bolts that hold it in place. and the actual mounting plate was a custom job (very poorly done).So after some quality time swearing at it, I managed to get the this part off.On to the where it mounts by the wheel.......another peice of junk that was fabbed up (the outside cuts on it were very rough) and the idiot mounted it to the bottem of the u bolts.I tried and tried to get the nuts off the u bolts but they weren't gonna come off for me.So ,I sprayed the with some penetrating lubricant and called it a day.The next day, the darn things still wouldn't come off....I was to the point that I was getting ready to call the local parts houses to make sure they had my size u bolts in stock.(I really was afraid that I was gonna break the bolt before the nut would come loose(I had the truck rocking back and forth when I was pulling on the wrench).Suddenly I was hit with a bright idea, so I got out my 22oz framing hammer and proceeded to beat the snot out of the barcket.after about 3-4 minutes of this I felt a little better and less frustrated.I then tried the nuts and wouldn't you know it they just came right off.After I removed them and took the bracket off, I saw what the problem was.This bracket was made from steel and never painted so it had rusted to the bolts and nuts.Now that all of the old parts were off, you would think the renistall would go smoothly......nope

So I was out the bracket that mounted to the tie rod......The local ford dealer actually had one instock and all the mounting hardware........30 bucks.....I know, but I just wanted to get the stupid thing on there and I was at a point where I didn't really give a hoot what brand part was gonna hold the shock in place.So I proceed to put the bracket in the little grooves.That part went well.About this time, one my moms friends pulls up in her superduty 4x4 with the steering stabilizer.So I crawled under her truck and what do ya know the grooves are the right spot.I also double checked where the shock mounts on the other end.With my an example of how it should be mounted fresh in my mind, I slipped the new shock on the tie rod bracket and tried to get the other end in it's bracket...........nope not gonna fit in there.....what now After close inspection, I decided that the stock bracket was bent upward (closing the gap in the bracket) preventing the shock from entering.I took my longest cresent wrench and tightened it down on the bracket.I then gave it a little pull downward.....It worked...... just bent the bracket back to where it belonged.Now I am in business......it should go smoothly from here on out (only two nuts and bolts left to install) The first one went on without a hitch and the second one went really well, untill I was making sure the thing wasn't gonna work itself off of there.The wrench slipped off the bolt and l hit myself in the mounth with it.......busted my bottom lip open.Time to go get some stiches.......4 stiches later, I crawled back under there and tightened the bolt up the rest of the way.It seems to be working like it should now.......its been on there for a week and no leaks yet.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizers