F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

help with tire size

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with tire size

I am asking this question about a friends truck, so please excuse the ignorance (and length) of this post. He has been told different things by different tire shops and I told him Y'all would definately know the answer.

He has a 2002 F-250 4x4 4door w/8 foot bed and Powerstroke Diesel.
He wants to put 315/75r16 BFG on the stock rims. This brings up several questions:

Can he do this with just a 2" lift in front? Will he need to lift front and back? If so how much? (He needs to be as low as poosible without rubbing, because he is trying to fit in the parking garages in Houston)

Do any of you have these tires on your F250? and if so what is the overall heigth of your truck?

Will the PS diesel be powerful enough to handle this diameter of tire without gear changes? Will it hurt performance alot?

Thank y'all so much--Martin

PS - I already put this in the tire and wheel forum, just thought y'all would know better.

Last edited by MWKellner; 05-20-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:10 PM
Re: help with tire size

I would post this on Ford-Diesel.com. They have more experience with the lifting and tires on the SD's. I don't ... however,

Originally posted by MWKellner
Will the PS diesel be powerful enough to handle this diameter of tire without gear changes? Will it hurt performance alot?
With 500+ ft/lbs torque on the PSD's ... I would certainly think the tires are easily handled.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:40 PM
well

I *think* that a leveling kit would do the trick to get the 315/75s under the truck.However, the stock rims are way to narrow for this wide of a tire.The local shops arounds here won't put anything bigger than a 285/75 on the stock rims(16X7).You need at least a 16X8 wheel for that tire,preferrably a 16X10.

It would be a good idea to go over to the ford-deisel.com forums and post your questions there.I just got my superduty 3weeks ago so I am not extremely knowledgeable about them.Your buddy should not notice a difference in performance but if he does, just send him to Mike T. in the computer chips forum, the diesels get big power gains from chips (60 hp).

Quick Reply: help with tire size