F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Trans Temp Guage on SD

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans Temp Guage on SD

Hey Guys,

Have any of you SD owners have your Trans Temp Guage go right to running temp when you first start your truck and stay there until you shut it off?

Sounds like the temp sending unit to me, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks,

Old 06-12-2002, 10:31 PM
That is normal behavior. It's an idiot gauge with a very wide range. I suggest either gauges or an X-Monitor. Here's a relevant thread from www.ford-diesel.com

clicky, clicky

Old 06-13-2002, 09:04 PM
Nightfall,

Thanks for the link, I suppose your SD does this too. Looks like it's time to add a Trans temp guage and a oil pressure guage.

Already have bought a Volt guage and vaccum guage to go in my Auto Meter Pillar guage pod. Guess I'll have to get the guage pod that goes an the steering collum also.

Thanks,

Old 06-16-2002, 08:11 PM
While you're doing that, you might want to add an Exhaust Gas Temp gauge (EGT) if you have a PSD. A nice option for getting all three is the X-Monitor http://www.dieselpage.com/bdebf.htm I'll be getting this when I get back from my trip to Kalifornia

Lots of posts on www.ford-diesel.com about this.

Good luck

Old 06-25-2002, 11:29 PM
Trans temp on SD

My temp tans temp guage jumps up to mid range and does not move no mater how hot it gets outside. I do not turst the gauge and spoke to another SD owner and he said his did not move when towing a boat to the coast.

Last edited by grayboy; 06-25-2002 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Re: Trans Temp Guage on SD

Originally posted by phildacf150
Hey Guys,

Have any of you SD owners have your Trans Temp Guage go right to running temp when you first start your truck and stay there until you shut it off?

Sounds like the temp sending unit to me, but just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks,
Yea my truck does the same thing and I am waiting on Ford now to explain who this guage should work. Will let you know if and when I get an answer

Grayboy

Old 06-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Thanks grayboy,

Hope you find something out.

Old 07-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Make sure the thw wire between the sending unit and the guage is not grounded someplace. when I installed mine the end on the sending got bent just enough to make contact with sending unit body
and it acted the same as your description.
when the end was cleared it worked fine. 160 on hot day 140 at night 170 - 200 towing.
It is B&M unit. Good Luck

Old 07-10-2002, 07:20 PM
This quote was pulled from www.ford-diesel.com

I was curious to see how active the factory ATF gauge was, and what temperature a particular gauge position represented.

First, let me relate how the ATF temp gauge works. The powertrain control computer (PCM) monitors the transmission fluid temperature (TFT or TOT) sensor in the transmission pan. The TFT sensor is a thermistor that varys in resistance with temperature changes. The PCM sends 5 volts to the TFT, which is then grounded through the PCM on a sensor ground wire. As the ATF fluid temperature increases the sensor resistance decreases, which in turn causes the voltage reading on the TFT sensor wire to decrease. The PCM uses the TFT signal for shift timing.

The instrument cluster is actually a micro prossesor or module that is networked to the PCM. On this network the PCM sends information from the cam position sensor for tach display (which is why the 02 tach does not register during crank), the water in fuel sensor for that warning light, TFT sensor for the ATF gauge, and also a signal to turn on the service engine and wait to start lights. It does this
over two wires instead of circuits for each function.

To check the ATF gauge I disconnected the solenoid connector from the transmission and hooked up a gauge tester to the TFT sensor wires. The gauge tester allows adjustments of resisance over a wide range--the TFT sensor's normal operating range is 800-100,000 ohms. I also hooked up a scan tool to the diagnostic connector to see what temperature the PCM was reading at a particular gauge position. If you want to see the readings on the gauge, go to:

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/02atf.gif

At a reading of 50 degrees the needle started moving and came up to the top of the cold range. At 100 degrees the needle read just below the center position of the gauge. The needle would creep up as the temperature reading increased, and at 70 degrees was near this position. I was disappointed to see the gauge would continue to stay at this position all the way up to 220 degrees. As the temperature reading was increased, the gauge rose to just above halfway at 230 degrees. The gauge rose rapidly to the yellow portion of the gauge when the temperature was increased to 250. At 280 degrees the gauge read in the red.

I can see Ford wanting to dampen down the movements of the gauge so it is not constantly sweeping across the normal range, but I would have preferred a smoother display. As it is, the gauge stays the same though both normal operating temperatures, and those that are generally considered excessive. Basically, if your gauge has a
sustained reading over half way for any period of time, then the trans is overheating and the fluid's service life has been reduced to approximately 25000 miles. If it gets into the yellow, plan on having the fluid changed soon.

I'm sure not every gauge is going to read at the exact same position, just as not every fuel gauge reads the same, but this will give you a general idea of what temperatures your transmission is being subjected to while the gauge sit there near the middle of the scale. I hope this helps explain why the gauge always seems to read the same, and prepares you for when the gauge reading starts to increase, instead of rising gradually as it did on the bottom half of the scale, it's going to come up fast.

***End of message
link

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Guage on SD