F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Save Your Money If You Want New Brakes For Your Sd!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save Your Money If You Want New Brakes For Your Sd!!!

Dropped the SD off at the Ford dealership this morning for rotors and pads. After they finally figured out the correct part numbers, I was given an estimate of $1100!!! Supposedly the price of replacement rotors were close to $175 and $130 each! I said "No thanks" and took the truck. Now I need to figure out what to do. Any thoughts? I guess I could attempt to do the job myself. Any idea of someplace where I could order brake parts at a price a bit more manageable?

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd try all the auto part stores Autozone Napa Pepboys and so on to see what they have and prices.

Old 07-03-2002, 11:16 AM
You might want to check out Carlolina Clutch. Their site is:
www.carolinaclutch.com Another good source of information is ford-diesel.com.

Old 07-06-2002, 07:58 PM
just dont cheap out too much. You will find if you spend too little on pads and rotors, you will only get half the life out of them.

Old 07-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Here's the end of the story:

I took the truck to another Ford dealer and once again received the same quote. $1100.

Giving up on Ford, I took the truck to a local brake repair guy. "James Brake and Alignment" Knowing that this guy has had some big Fords in the past I figured I would give him a try. Dropped the truck off in the morning and got a call at noon. James checked all of the brakes and found only the front rotors to be warped a little. Everything else including the pads were fine! He cut the front rotors and the bill came to a grand total of $50 including labor!! Brakes now feel perfect again and I saved $1050. How many people do you think would have jjst paid Ford, trusting that the dealership "knew best?" Man I hate that kind of stuff...

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions!!

Old 07-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by chaydu
How many people do you think would have jjst paid Ford, trusting that the dealership "knew best?"
Hmm, sounds like the same techs that worked on my wife's club wagon... after doing a complete brake job to the tune of over $1000, the van pulled to the right. When we took it back a week later, they decided that 'someone' must have contaminated the brake fluid and the master cylinder needed replacement. They wanted another couple hundred $$$.... I told them forget it and drove it out of there as fast as I could.

I took it to a local garage, who found the real problem.... when the 'certified Ford technician' replaced the front brakes, they must not have used a coat hanger to hold up the caliper and kinked the brake line... $50 for a new line, bled the brakes, it still goes straight years later....

Quick Reply: Save Your Money If You Want New Brakes For Your Sd!!!