F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

K&N Filter in Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Filter in Powerstroke

I just ordered the K&N filter air intake system for my 2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke. Has anyone here ever purchased a K&N air intake system for their diesel?? I was just wondering how much of a difference it makes. Any response is appreciated. Thanks. Bugman.

Old 06-29-2002, 10:29 PM
Curious to find out how yours works. I had a FIPK on my 4.6L and it made a big difference. Now I have this "new to me" Power Stroke and want to add one to it. Let me know how you like yours.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:46 PM
is it the complete new housing? or just a filter?

if its just a filter you are better off using the ford (and a ford part not just an aftermarket clone) as it has 3" deep pleats wich offer a greater filter capacity aswell as its designed to fit the airbox better at either rate monitor the clean side of the intake system to make sure no dirt is entering the engine

Old 07-14-2002, 12:18 PM
I installed the complete housing last week. I noticed a slight difference right away with the K&N filter. I hope to see a little better fuel mileage soon.
Does anyone here know the factory horsepower for a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke engine?? I tried looking through my owner's manual but, could not find the engine specs. Bugman.

Old 07-14-2002, 08:16 PM
Exclamation

Bugman: good luck with your new filter. Like someone else asked, is it just the filter or are there other parts to it??? As far as K&N filters go for the PSD, I haven't heard any good words for them. What I heard was that they let in too much air (which is a good thing) along with too much dirt (which is a very bad thing for a diesel). I went with the Western Diesel air filter. Good luck with yours and make sure you do a few oil analysis after installing the filter, like at 3k and 6k miles after installation.
The 2000 year PSD was rated at 235hp and 500 lbs-ft of torque. Adding the air filter to mine, did not add any fuel milage. I did have Ford do the air filter, bigger box modification.

Black F150 offroad: I have oil pulled for analysis every 3k miles. They always come back stating every thing is fine. EXCEPT ONCE. When I had Ford do the air box modification, they installed their new improved 3" air filter into the new box. On my next oil analysis, it came back: silicon has increased and may indicate dirt entry. Inspect air intake and resample in 1k miles. Needless to say, I got my Western Diesel filter back out and got it cleaned and reinstalled. The Ford filter went into the trash. Next oil sample was back to normal.

One thing I can state is all diesels are different. One coming off the line in front of mine and one behind mine will run different and have different problems than mine. Mine doesn't like the Ford filter, others may run better with them.

Old 07-15-2002, 09:55 PM
the big difference is that with a ford filter and a dusted engine you will have warrenty,

all you really have to look at is the clean side of the intake for dust - there should not be any - a blow by test will show wear off the rings, dusted engines have high blow by and worn turbo and rings

if you have a new housing wich seals good with that brand of filter that is good, but runing an aftermarket filter in the ford housing is not good especially if you dont change your filter often as the turbo will try to pull the filter in thus it will allow unfilter air to enter, ford also has a number of updated air box assemblies so basically as long as there is no dust on the clean side that is good

Old 07-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Hi Tina,
Thanks for responding. I will do an oil analysis after 3000 miles. Fortunately, I do not travel dirt roads at all but, I will check on the filter. The only thing that I'm still getting used to, is the added noise.

Old 07-17-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by black f150 offroad
the big difference is that with a ford filter and a dusted engine you will have warrenty,

**(Are you saying that with an aftermarket air filter that Ford will cancel my warrenty???)**

all you really have to look at is the clean side of the intake for dust - there should not be any - a blow by test will show wear off the rings, dusted engines have high blow by and worn turbo and rings

**(Yes, you can look at everything under the hood, but an oil analysis will give you a much clearer picture of what's going on in the inside of the engine.)**

if you have a new housing wich seals good with that brand of filter that is good, but runing an aftermarket filter in the ford housing is not good especially if you dont change your filter often as the turbo will try to pull the filter in thus it will allow unfilter air to enter, ford also has a number of updated air box assemblies so basically as long as there is no dust on the clean side that is good

The really good aftermarket air filters are cleanable!!! They are also made better than the paper Ford ones. The only air filters that I've ever heard of being pulled in by the turbo were Ford filters. And I think that was due to a bad design that allowed water to get to the air filter. Wet paper filters, well you can figure out what would happen next...

Last edited by Tina; 07-17-2002 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:12 PM
well i have a 96 power stroke i dropped a k&n in there (stock replacement) picked 1 lb of boost with it. went from 15 to 16 lbs just from the air filter. stock everything else for now. im curious to see how much i pick up with a chip down pipe and exhaust. i though i got a deal for 60 bucks took less than a minute to drop it in there.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter in Powerstroke