F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Gas mileage thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas mileage thoughts

Ok everyone I was wondering what everyones thought were on gas mmilage on the Super Duty.

I am running the V10 and getting in the neighborhood of 12 mpg and feeling pretty good about it.

I also run a diesel in my fleet ( I have 2 V10's now and the diesel) One thing I have noticed about the big D is even though it gets great MPG, as soon as I put a load behind it, it gets milage equal the the V10. At least the V10 gets consistent bad milage.

I don't feel I should have to pay an extra $4k for the noise option package. Well thats all i really wanted to say and was wondering about others opnions.

Old 08-01-2002, 08:58 AM
V10 here as well - and averaging about 12mpg with mostly city driving. Have gotten as high as 16.3mpg on a tank with all highway driving.

Old 08-02-2002, 01:40 AM
Question Hey Bryan......

Hello... have you considered a superchip? I put one in my F150 and he really helped with the power, plus helped with the MPG. The bad thing is you have to run premium fuel.

I have a couple comments:

I'm really looking hard for a F250/350, crewcab, 4x4. I took a test drive in a 2002 F250, 4x4, crewcab, V10 and the little computer up around the rear view mirror stated...... averaging 8.5 MPG. I told the sales guy he needed to duck-tape that while he's trying to sell the truck. LOL

Because of the gas mileage, I'm looking for a diesel. These trucks are in very high demand and their hard to find. The best deal I've found so far was as follows-
2002- Brand New F250, crewcab, 4x4, diesel, XLT, long bed for $32,689.00. I called a few other dealers and they stated they couldn't come close to that. I guess the MSRP is $39,899.00?

I can't afford $32,000.00 plus for a truck!! I'm looking for a 2000 or newer with mileage under 50,000. I can find V10's, but no diesels. I found a 2000 F250, V10, crewcab, 4x4, shortbed for $23,989.00. I would prefer the shortbed. I'm afraid of the V10's MPG. I think I'm getting 16/18 in my F150.

What is your opinion? I haul a 21ft Maxum boat. The F150 struggles a little due to BFG AT tires. I would like to hear comments on diesel vs. V10.

Thanks,
Rich in Sacramento, CA

Old 08-03-2002, 12:57 PM

Hey Rich,

I just posted a reply on your post and i wish i had looked here first on mine and discovered you asked the same. Basically I know what the feeling from going to a F150 to a Super Duty is like.

You said you were looking at a Super DUty for about $24k? That sounds right to me and you will always pay about 2-4k more for the PSD. gas milage sucks, tahts all I can say. But these rigs are kind of like a blue collar Ferrari. If you can afford to own them then you can eat the gas bill. I run 2 of the V10's and one PSD. Texaco loves me at close to $2,500 a month.

Over all I think the V10 is the better way to go. Gas engines are cheaper to maintain, and gas is easier to find in a pinch.

Oil change on the V10: about 30 bucks if a shop does it, 15 if you do it.

Oil on the PSD: can't do it yourself(easily anyways) about 80 bucks for the shop. (takes like 29 quarts)

Overall I think the V10 is a better deal for a rig. If for anything it's for convience of maintenance. Best of luck finding yourself a new rig too. I looked around and found mine through Autorader.com and only $20.5K after tax and everything, not too bad I think.

Usually you can get a good deal on used ones since when most people buy them, they don't realize what they are getting into and then they get rid of them once the figure it out. Hence, good used rigs with little abuse and low milage.

Good luck Rich, how this info helps.

Old 08-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting into a 250 or 350 but probable will stay with a F150 unless I can find a better paying job.

Old 08-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Thumbs up fuel milage

Just got back from picking my daughter up in CT, day before picked up new F250 scrap---got an average of 20mpg doing about 70-75 have 1700 miles on it now--hope this helps-not awake don't even know if I'm on correct site

Old 08-10-2002, 12:03 PM
Red face

SCRAB

Old 08-11-2002, 09:05 AM
Re: reply

Originally posted by bryanreed
Hey Rich,

Over all I think the V10 is the better way to go. Gas engines are cheaper to maintain, and gas is easier to find in a pinch.

Oil change on the V10: about 30 bucks if a shop does it, 15 if you do it.

Oil on the PSD: can't do it yourself(easily anyways) about 80 bucks for the shop. (takes like 29 quarts)

Overall I think the V10 is a better deal for a rig. If for anything it's for convience of maintenance.

I too started with an F150 which I sold in 2000 and bought a PSD. Big world of difference between the two. No compairing them at all. Since having both, I would say that yes, the gas engine is cheaper to maintain, but once you start learning about your diesel, you also get very picky about who works on it and you start doing it all yourself. Thus cutting the maintaince cost down and turning you into a self made diesel machanic. Diesel fuel is just as easy to find as reg gas once you start keeping your eye open to look for it. The oil change on the PSD is very easy to do yourself, you just have more oil to change!! I buy it by the gallon and it takes 4 (or 14-15 quarts) Where in the world did you hear it took 29 quarts??? As far as the V10 being a better deal, it would depend on how much you're towing. I've got a 30' TT that I load to the max. The V10 would tow it but the PSD can tow it without slowing down to go up mountains. And gets an average of 12mpg doing it. Without the trailer I average 19mpg with a very heavy leadfoot on take-offs. Maintenance is easy, once you learn what you need to do and cheaper if you do it yourself which I do. I like the diesel and thats why I got it. If you prefer gas engines then get the V10. Both have their up and down qualitys that you should research before getting into one. People that prefer the V10 will complain about the smell of the diesel. I say "what smell????"!!!!!

Old 08-18-2002, 07:00 AM
Lets compare apples to apples...You said when you load up the diesel the fuel mileage goes to nothing...You did not say anything about when you load up that gas hog V10..Goes to say 6mpg...The PSD still gets 12mpg...Like Tina said the PSD will pull a load up a hill without downshifting..I bet that V10 is in second by then...

I sell diesel oil changes for $50...I make $25 on those...

Yeah--you are right your average person cant hold up that 2 1/2 qt. oil filter filled with oil to screw onto the block...Its pretty heavy!!!

And since the truck is higher off the ground then a half ton..Its harder to get underneath!!!

And then theres that bigger filter wrench that it takes to get the filter off...Not everyone can exert the tremendous force to get the filter off...

Old 08-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Cool

I get about 10-11 mpg unloaded and then with a 24 ft (7000# empty) stock trailer and then load it up with cattle it drops to between 8-9 mpg. Traveled across Missouri and part of Illinois and back with trailer loaded one way, empty coming back and got 8.9 mpg.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage thoughts