F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

V10 vs Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V10 vs Diesel

I would like some advice from you F250/350 owners? Please read through my post and let me know your opinion. I really want a F250/350, but I have a perfectly working F150 with only 51,000 miles on it. My current truck payment is only $261.00 a month. Should I be smart and concentrate on paying it off or should I go for a F250/350 crewcab? I have two kids and the crewcab would be soooooo nice.

I'm really looking hard for a F250/350, crewcab, 4x4. I took a test drive in a 2002 F250, 4x4, crewcab, V10 and the little computer up around the rear view mirror stated...... averaging 8.5 MPG. I told the sales guy he needed to duck-tape that while he's trying to sell the truck. LOL

Because of the gas mileage, I'm looking for a diesel. These trucks are in very high demand and their hard to find. The best deal I've found so far was as follows-
2002- Brand New F250, crewcab, 4x4, diesel, XLT, long bed for $32,689.00. I called a few other dealers and they stated they couldn't come close to that. I guess the MSRP is $39,899.00?

I can't afford $32,000.00 plus for a truck!! I'm looking for a 2000 or newer with mileage under 50,000. I can find V10's, but no diesels. I found a 2000 F250, V10, crewcab, 4x4, shortbed for $23,989.00. I would prefer the shortbed. I'm afraid of the V10's MPG. I think I'm getting 16/18 in my F150.

What is your opinion? I haul a 21ft Maxum boat. The F150 struggles a little due to BFG AT tires. I would like to hear comments on diesel vs. V10.

Thanks,
Rich in Sacramento, CA

Old 08-02-2002, 09:27 AM
Re: V10 vs Diesel

Originally posted by richgonfishn
I can't afford $32,000.00 plus for a truck
First off - this is not a flame, but if you can't afford that, then either a) don't bother looking at new SDs or b) lower your requirements [supercab instead of crewcab, 5.4 instead of 6.8 or PSD, etc]. If you don't want to "settle" [which I totally understand, as I searched about 8 states for a truck before finding the one I bought], focus all of your efforts on the used market. When I was looking, saw some very reasonable deals on 2000 model year trucks. [Crew cab 4x4 XLT w/PSD 45K miles - $23K]

2002- Brand New F250, crewcab, 4x4, diesel, XLT, long bed for $32,689.00.
This is a steal (depending on options). I had X-Plan pricing on my V10 shortbox and it was within $1,100 of this [keep in mind that the PSD is a > $4K (MSRP) option], and I only had about 5 options on mine (auto trans, privacy glass, rear slider, off road pkg, camper pkg). The reality of it is that the PSDs sticker upwards of $35K (and this is the rock bottom XLs). Most of the XLTs I looked at were in the $38K+ range, with it not uncommon to be $42K+.

As far as the V10 vs the PSD comparison: I went through the same thing before I bought. Factors that I considered were: the additional initial cost of the diesel, additional maintenance costs of the diesel (I think I was told about $75 for an oil change), difference in towing capacity (10,600 [V10] vs 12,500 [PSD]), HP vs TQ [310/425 - V10, 285/525 PSD - numbers may be slightly out of whack since it has been a few months]. From the information I gathered, I decided on the V10, mainly because I didn't NEED the diesel. Of course, I haven't driven a PSD for an exteded period of time, but I am quite happy with my V10.

Best of luck with your shopping - hope you find what you want at a price you can afford!

Last edited by JDMnAR; 08-02-2002 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Thumbs up Thanks.....

Thanks for your opinion. I'm starting to consider the 2000 truck I described below. It's the 2000, V10, crew cab, 4x4 for $23,989.00. I told them I'd go for it if they'd take $22,000.00. I figure that would cover the extra gas money for awhile. I'm waiting to hear back.... which I might NOT, but it's worth a try.

If I do go with the V10, I need to start thinking of ways to improve the MPG.

Thanks again,
Rich

Old 08-02-2002, 04:01 PM
I think you would be happy with that truck. I am sure you have already checked kbb, edmunds or some other reputable source to get a book value on that one to know what it is worth.

As far as MPG gains - I think most people recommend intake, exhaust, chip and bedcover. I didn't do the full intake swap - just put in a K & N filter. I doubt I will do the chip, since I can't really justify it to myself and don't want to fill up with premium. The exhaust will come at some point - just not sure if I am going with a cat-back system or just a muffler swap. I have been told that the improvement of a cat-back is minimally more than just a muffler swap, so may just go that route. Did the bedcover right away - actually ordered the Retrax before I picked up my truck.

Anyway - I didn't buy it to be fuel-efficient!

Old 08-02-2002, 08:22 PM
Talking Re: V10 vs Diesel

I'm really looking hard for a F250/350, crewcab, 4x4. I took a test drive in a 2002 F250, 4x4, crewcab, V10 and the little computer up around the rear view mirror stated...... averaging 8.5 MPG. I told the sales guy he needed to duck-tape that while he's trying to sell the truck. LOL
Man, that is blasphemy. Are you serious...8.5 miles per gallon for the 6.8L V10?! For that alone, I would recommend going for the diesel. I read that you were hauling a boat. I think if you want more towing capability, the F250 diesel would be the best way to go. I am not too familiar with the V10 since I have rarely seen it, but I would definitely take the diesel. You will probably get a lot more out of it, and the range of the truck would be double.

I cannot believe that you are having a hard time looking for such a truck. Are you looking for a particular model for the F250? I alsothink that you should try to pay off the F150 as quickly as possible, then pursue the 250. Just my input.

Anti-Honda

Old 08-02-2002, 08:39 PM
Unhappy yes...... 8.5 MPG!!

Yes...... the computer stated an average of 8.5 MPG

I've read other posts where the guys swear their getting
14-18MPG, but it's hard to believe. IS have the 4.6 in my F150 and I'm getting somewhere around 14/15.

I'm not sure if it's the Sacramento, Ca area, but these trucks are very hard to come by right now. Here is what I'm looking for.
2000 or newer F250 or F350. I'd like the following- XLT, 4x4, crew cab, shortbed, diesel preferred, but will consider V10.

I tow the boat 2-3 times a month. The F150 does fine, but as I mentioned before..... it struggles a little due to the 285 BFG's.

I think the smart move is to try and double my current payment and pay the F150 off. ($261.00)

Old 08-02-2002, 09:57 PM
I don't know HOW that truck was only getting 8.5mpg - unless it was a lot of idling on the lot, or test drivers with lead foots. I have logged every tank in mine, and the worst tank I have ever had was 10.3mpg, and the best was 16.5mpg. Most tanks I am in the 12-13mpg range with mostly city driving.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
8.5 mpg you got to be kidding

My Dad's 38' Itasca motor home has the Ford Class A chassis with a V10.
He gets 9 mpg doing 60-65 mph on trips in general ( on highway and off highway..mostly highway and country roads ).

8.5 in the truck, something is wrong with that.

What is the weight of that 21ft Maxum boat ?

I have never towed one, but unless you haul it every day, I would have thought a 5.4 woudl have sufficed.
Don't know the weight of it....but I woudl imagine that the 5.4 would haul it alright. You will get crappy mpg with a heavy load on the 5.4, but when you are not pulling the boat the additional mpg of running the empty 5.4 would mroe then make up for it, again unless you are pulling it every day or every week for a LONG trip.

Not knowing what you have in your current F150, have you looked at moding it a bit to help out with the struggle ?

Just a few thoughts, rather then sinking yourself in additional debt ( don't know if you are upside down on the current loan ) by getting a new truck, this could be a cheaper alt. I saw another memeber that put on a PowerDyne s/c and had great results with his towing. This is a centrifuge s/c not a roots type so the cost is lower, but the additional gain is in the upper end of the rpm range.

Just a few things to look at, if you are still happy with iyour current truck...heck it is barely broken in

Old 08-02-2002, 11:16 PM
I think maybe you have forgotten the 5.4. It can get great mileage and when pulling your boat you won't even know it is back there. My dad bought a 99 F250 with a 5.4. It has 4.10 gears and a 5 speed. The worst mileage he has gotten is 12 pulling 24k. The best is 17 on highway empty. I know the 5 speed helps on mileage but I would guess the auto would get at least 15 running around. A friend of my dads has a 2000 F350 with the V-10, auto, 4.10's. This friend rode with my dad a while back when the 5.4 was loaded. He commented that he thought the 5.4 with the 5spd has more power than his 6.8 with the auto. I have a 99 F150 with the 4.6 and it does great with my boat. However my boat is only 16', my truck has 3.08's also. I average about 19 with mine, about half highway and half city. On highway only, I get about 21. You could save big bucks if you went with the 5.4, and I think it is a great motor. At least drive one, I guarantee they will impress you. You have to work a diesel and drive many miles before they begin to payoff. But if you really need one they can't be beat. My advice to you on the whole subject, pay off your truck. Thats my 2 cents. Or maybe 3 huh.

Old 08-02-2002, 11:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
onew thing to check before doing this.

I think the smart move is to try and double my current payment and pay the F150 off. ($261.00)
Read your loan paper work.
Some car loans do not give any interest off if you do this, so it is only a benefit for the bank.
Some car loans are like a house mortgage ( interest on outstanding ballance ) , some are fixed for the term; PV the total loan amount over the term wit the APR, divide by the total months, there you go.
Just thought I would toss this into your decision process...glad you heard from me again ? That's me Mr. Good news....just liek the grim reaper Syth and all

Old 08-02-2002, 11:40 PM
Quote from richgonfishn ........

The best deal I've found so far was as follows-
2002- Brand New F250, crewcab, 4x4, diesel, XLT, long bed for $32,689.00. I called a few other dealers and they stated they couldn't come close to that. I guess the MSRP is $39,899.00?

Man, that sounds like a deal! I am lookning for a 250 crew 4x4 with diesel and all the stickers are $40k-$42k. i wouldn't want the longbed...but dang! That is a bargain! Wayyyyy below even X-plan pricing!

Old 08-03-2002, 12:29 AM
Angry Re: yes...... 8.5 MPG!!

Yes...... the computer stated an average of 8.5 MPG

I've read other posts where the guys swear their getting
14-18MPG, but it's hard to believe. IS have the 4.6 in my F150 and I'm getting somewhere around 14/15.
Frankly, I do not see how that is possible, myself. Some of these diesels overstate their gas mileage completely. Even with dual tanks, you will be out of gas in less than a week no matter how far you travel. I am not too familiar with the V10 mileage, but if you are getting an automatic 4x4...then a 8.5 is 'realistic '

I am so surprised to read that the Diesel is getting better mileage than the gas V10. I need to check that out.

Anti-Honda

Old 08-03-2002, 02:05 AM
Cool Thanks!!

I appreciate all the info. I will try and cover all the opinions/questions and commnets.

Anti-Honda- the diesels do average quite a bit more MPG over the V10. I've spoken to a few diesel owners and they average upwards of 20MPG.

RebelYell- I was called by the same dealer today and they now have 2002 Brand New Lariats, 4x4, crew cab, diesel with the shortbed for $1000.00 more than the XLT I discribed before. It was $33,898.00 which is a good deal if you can afford a $34,000.00 truck. I can't so I'm forced to look at used. What is the x-plan pricing?

SSCULLY- I've looked into it and yes the extra $261.00 will go towards the principle and the loan will pay-off much sooner.
The readout above the rear view mirror stated average MPG at 8.5. I laughed... actually I choked when I looked up and read that. I could NOT amagine getting under 10MPG. The Maxum weighs 4,800.00 w/trailer. I have the 4.6 on my truck. It's a 1998 XLT, 4x4, x-cab. I've added the following mods- K&N intake filter kit, superchip and single pipe exhaust. I have tires that are at least 285's which takes allot of the torgue away. I was told I needed to go from the current 3.73 gears to at least 4.10's. I saved up the $1,400.00 to do it, but ended up adding another $1,000.00 to the $1,400.00 and installed a killer stereo in the boat. I'm 34, but when I'm on the boat..... I feel like a teenager and like the MUSIC ROCKIN and LOUD!!! I enjoy my current truck, but I'd like a little more power and the CREW CAB is soooooo sweet. I have a 2 & 5 year old. It would be nice having that much room in the cab. I was laid-off back in October and have started my own company. I keep my supplies in the x-cab of my truck. There is soooooo much more room in the brew cabs. Again, as many would..... I'd like to have these extra options, but I'm smart enough to realize I have avery nice truck with a very nice LOW payment. My neighbor is paying $694.00 a month for his new 2001 chevy. It's only a x-cab 2-wheel drive!! (CRAZY)

Silver&Blue- It's ONLY my opinion, but I would not buy a F250/350 with the 5.4. Again, I'm not bashing it, but I don't think it's enough motor for the truck. I have the 4.6 and wish I had the 5.4. We also have a Expedition with the 4.6 and it's NOT enough motor for a vehicle that is that heavy. I have a cousin that has a Expedition with the 5.4 and it doesn't seem much better than our 4.6. I'm not saying either one is sluggish, but there certainly not any extra power laying around. I would say both our vehicles average 14 MPG and it's a killer. When I bought the truck, I was told the 4.6 gor better MPG than the 5.4. I'm not sure what the 5.4 is rated at, but I would think the 4.6 would be a little better.

JDMnAR- I'm not sure who was driving the truck, but I do know it was used. I'm sure the owner probably couldn't afford the payments and brought it back. The truck only had 5,000 miles on it. I didn't flip through the different stats, but I do know when I read averaging 8.5 MPG I almost crapped!! The dealer had just received the truck that day so I think I was the first to test drive it. I believe the average came from the original owners lead-foot!!

I hope I didn't miss answering any comments or questions. I look forward to your replies.

FISH ON!!!

Have a great night,
Rich

Old 08-03-2002, 12:34 PM
First of all, remember you are looking at a much bigger truck. One thing I can tell you is that a prefer the V10 over the PSD. The biggest reason is the noise.Then you have the efficency issues to deal with.

The diesel is more expensive to maintain and fuel generally costs a little more. The big difference is you do get better milage out of the PSD unitl you put a good load behind it (like a nice sized boat). Then it nose dives right down to where the V10 is at. AT least with the V10 you consistentley get bad milage.

The other thing is if you do have to work on them, they will cost you big and if you don't use the PSD right you won't get nearly the life out of them you should. They are afterall designed to be a hard worked truck and not an in-town driver. I have both V10 and diesel that i can use anytime I want and I take the V10 overall. I have seen a few of the 5.4 Super Duty but pretty rare and from what I hear there isn't much difference in gas milage. You get what you pay for.

Remember the milage you saw was on a pretty much brand new motor figuring out how it should be so it needs time. I average about 11-12 mpg but that is a lot of highway too. I don't think you'll ever get 15+, sorry

Worst milage ever: 3.4 mpg (don't ask what I was hauling)
Best milage: 69 mpg (coming down over the mountains in neutral!!!)

Old 08-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Nomination for Quote of the Week:

"...Some of these diesels overstate their gas mileage completely..."

Quick Reply: V10 vs Diesel