F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Question

I rode in a friends SD the other day as we pulled his car to the track. After several hours, you would here the turbo spool up and down for a few minutes then stop. The truck would periodically do this every now and again. It was like the wastegate would flutter open and shut then just quit. Anybody know what I'm talking about???? If so, would you happen to know what this supposed to be doing??/

Thanks

Aaron

Old 08-24-2002, 01:45 PM
Aaron,
after reading your post I listened to mine on the last couple of trips last week. I only noticed the waste gate open under moderate to heavy exceleration, and when the truck was heavy it seamed to whistle almost constantly--sometimes louder than others. I did hear the engine cooling fan engage (making a roaring noise) and then wind down a few minutes later. Keep in mind new PSD's have a 100k warranty so if your friend has a concern the Ford guys should be able to help him

good luck,conner

Old 08-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Was it more of a fluttering (whoosh-whoosh) type noise??? When did it happen?? Under load, like while going up hill and maintaining speed??? Or on flat roads?? What year is the PSD??
Mine will start that "whoosh-whoosh" type noise when under load and going up steep hills and it's the turbo over spooling. I back off the fuel. There's a fix for this, to change your fan in the turbo to a bigger one. I also went by the Ford place here and asked them about this. They gave me their "stock" answer...It's normal operation!!

Old 08-26-2002, 04:58 AM
The wastegate starts to open at 5psi under load...Is this what he hears????

Or is it the turbo surge???

Or is it the turbo chirping??

Or is it the radiator fan engaging/disengaging??

Quick Reply: Turbo Question