F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

5.4 vs. PSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change

It cost's me under $30.00 for an oil change's.Motorcraft oil filter from WalMart $9.95 and I buy a case of Rotella from Sam's Club for $5.00 a gallon.

Jim

Old 08-27-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by hmustang
From what you said about towing i think you can get by with the 5.4 with a set og 4.10 gears you should beable to do what ever you want to do with that set up.
Sure you can "get by", but do you really want to just "get by" when you are spending the kind of money that you will be on the SD - especially when the V10 is such an inexpensive option to get.

Like Petrol said, if there is a local dealer that you can work with to locate a truck equipped like you want, go for it. They can easily search inventory of other dealers from their computer system. Or you can take my approach. I decided how far I was willing to go to get the truck I wanted, then spent hours each night looking at Ford dealer inventory here. I had an atlas that I would pick a city from, and search all of the dealers in that area. When I found a truck that was a possibility, I would print it out and record the dealer info on it. The next day I would call the dealer and talk to them about it. I kept at this for a couple of weeks until I finally found the one I bought. [In fact, that dealer currently has 3 4x4 Crew Cab V10's showing in their inventory.] I called them and worked out all the details over the phone, drove down there one Saturday morning, signed the papers, and drove away in my new truck.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:05 PM
I've owned both a screw with the 5.4 and currently own a F250 CCSD with the diesel and would take the diesel over the gas engine anyday of the week. I not only get better fuel mileage running empty, I get better fuel mileage while towing. I don't regret trading at all

Old 08-28-2002, 02:58 PM
I just made an observation---Anybody who owns a diesel will say get it...

Anybody who has a gasser---Probably has never owned a diesel..Because if they owned a diesel they would not go back to the gasser...

The oil changes are more..$25 for parts..I can get them down to $20 if I buy 55 gal drum...

Look at the fuel mileage and factor that in...And if the $4000 scares you, look at the resale...

Once you drive a modded diesel, you will not want a gasser...

Old 08-28-2002, 04:10 PM
I have owned both and in a big truck the deisel is a hands down winner. I do not like the sound or smell, but you spend a fortune in gas and are always looking for the gas station. Towing is no comparison, deisel walks all over the gas motor. F150, gas all the way.
Terry

Old 08-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Thumbs up

You Know one thing I forgot to mention is that the life of the diesel is much longer than a gasser If you tend to hang on to a vehicle.

Old 08-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Mongo--you got that right 400000 miles...

Terry--You may have to eat those words--the baby diesel is out in 03 V6 4.5..in a half ton 400ft lbs...and with some mods 30mpg...

When/if I get another half ton the diesel will be under the hood...

Old 08-29-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Mach1
I just made an observation---Anybody who owns a diesel will say get it...

Anybody who has a gasser---Probably has never owned a diesel..Because if they owned a diesel they would not go back to the gasser...

The oil changes are more..$25 for parts..I can get them down to $20 if I buy 55 gal drum...

Look at the fuel mileage and factor that in...And if the $4000 scares you, look at the resale...

Once you drive a modded diesel, you will not want a gasser...
Well, where do I start. I drive a V-10 SD and I've owned diesel(s) and NO I won't buy another one. I got tired of plugging them in when it's cold, blend the fuel, fuel additives when it's cold, and when it's not, coolant additives, 15 qt. oil changes, etc. Resale? Here's another BIG misconception. You pay $4600 MORE for a PSD, hence you get more for the truck on a trade in. Why is this such a misconception? If you go to trade in an XL model truck, you'll get less for it than an XLT model, since the XLT costs more to start with. Hence, since the diesel costs $4600 more when you buy it, is worth more when you sell it. SIMPLE math. A person could invest the savings from the diesel purchase, not counting financing, and have a pretty tidy sum when they are finished. Mods? Kiss the warranty good-bye, since it can be a valid reason for ANY auto maker to void their warranty.
The point is, if a person wants a diesel, it's a good purchase for them, and they can justify it in any way they want to. For me, I've had diesels and don't care for them, but it's my point of view. I can respect other people's point of view too.

Last edited by WWBF150; 08-29-2002 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:44 PM
OK, you are the first here...

OK Mods--DO NOT VOID YOUR WARANTEE!!!! Common Misconception...

I didn't buy a truck on the premise of the waranty and I have never purchased an extended waranty and will never in the future..

It doesn't make since--if you think the truck is problems why buy it in the first place..I know ford builds an excellent truck, I take care of mine and it lasts..No need for waranty work..

If they do Then I still deal with a chip friendly dealer anyway,, They are out there...

Sorry--but someone besides me thinks this a well..

75% of the superduty's are diesel...take out the 5.4 and you get 12% are V10's...

The baby diesel is out for the EXPY and the F150...

The Durajap and Cummins are still hot as can be...

Diesel is here and it is to stay..

How does that V10 pull compared to the diesel???
and fuel mileage for the truck when towing...

OH one more From FORD they claim in a couple of years their trucks will be 50% diesel...

Better enjoy your gasser, because there is going to be a day when you cant get gasoline...Anything F459 and above, cant get gasoline...only diesel...

Real trucks dont need spark plugs...

Old 08-30-2002, 09:51 PM
OK, you are the first here...

OK Mods--DO NOT VOID YOUR WARANTEE!!!! Common Misconception...

I didn't buy a truck on the premise of the waranty and I have never purchased an extended waranty and will never in the future..

It doesn't make since--if you think the truck is problems why buy it in the first place..I know ford builds an excellent truck, I take care of mine and it lasts..No need for waranty work..

If they do Then I still deal with a chip friendly dealer anyway,, They are out there...

Sorry--but someone besides me thinks this a well..

75% of the superduty's are diesel...take out the 5.4 and you get 12% are V10's...

The baby diesel is out for the EXPY and the F150...

The Durajap and Cummins are still hot as can be...

Diesel is here and it is to stay..

How does that V10 pull compared to the diesel???
and fuel mileage for the truck when towing...

OH one more From FORD they claim in a couple of years their trucks will be 50% diesel...

Better enjoy your gasser, because there is going to be a day when you cant get gasoline...Anything F459 and above, cant get gasoline...only diesel...

Real trucks dont need spark plugs...
One minute the warranty can't be voided for mods, then IF IT CAN, you'll look for another dealer. Hmmm, BS meter is on!
Well, I guess that people that have had thier warrantys voided for mods, ie. chips, etc., can get all of their money back, since you say that mods don't void their warranty. LOL! Please get real! More and more people report that their warranty has been voided, due to mods. Check Ford-Diesel and do some reading there too. Sheesh!
Warranty work? Well, since "taking care" of your truck prevents this, it shouldn't concern you at all. (Sarcasm detected!) My truck gets worked and I've had mine in for several warranty related issues. Minor things like no transmission cooler in the radiator, warped rotors, and spring problems. How about the cackle issue with the PSD? CPS problems? Non-existant things? More BS on your part.
The ancient quote about the spark plugs says it all. Nothing new, same old stuff! I wonder what'll be said when the new fuel cell technology replaces current engine technology? Those diesel fumes and clouds of smoke sure take their toll on some people.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:29 AM
I have been thinking about moving to a 250 and have a couple of questions. Regarding the diesel, how available is the fuel? I do not see it in the gas stations... or I am not looking in the right spots. Also, do the 250's come w/captain chairs or the split bench? I have not seen one with captains chairs. What is a 40/20/40 split seat? How does that look/work? I know what a 60/40 is. Thanks

Old 09-02-2002, 12:33 AM
just thought of one more. when looking at the online invoices from ford.com, how can you tell if a 250 is a short wheelbase or long wheelbase?

Old 09-02-2002, 04:07 AM
WWB---Ok for you who cant understand, I will spell it out..I believe when you take your truck in for warantee work and the sevice writer says we wont work on this because of the mods, we want to void your waranty...

My response is--find a chip friendly dealer who is not going to refuse to work on it..I wont want them to work on it anyway.

So you are saying if you have a chip in it..this will void your warantee for the brake rotors and the leaf springs???

I believe it is up to the individual dealer to refuse to work on your vehicle, not to void your warantee...

And I agree with YOU(CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??)--If you go to the dealer, yes he will push you around if you let him and you dont know your rights...

Again-my truck is out of waranty..I wont take it to the dealer to get it worked on, I had waranty work done, but if had to do it over I wont have taken it to them, They scratched the hood and turned the rotors, when I told them not to...

From what you say about your truck without the cooler--you must have had the 1999...Did anyone ever tell you not to buy the first year model...Is this why you had so many problems with yours??

Ok if you had problems with yours does this make it a bad vehicle??

I can name 10 people to 1 that love their diesels..And are happy with there purchases

Old 09-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by F150aGoGo
Regarding the diesel, how available is the fuel?

Also, do the 250's come w/captain chairs or the split bench?

What is a 40/20/40 split seat? How does that look/work
The availability of diesel has improved (at least in my area) in recent years. Most gas stations around me have at least one diesel pump - typically one with a green handle.

The 250 is available with captains chairs OR the split bench.

The 40/20/40 split bench is a seat (40) on either side of a non-moveable center "seat" (20).

Old 09-02-2002, 10:06 PM
WWB---Ok for you who cant understand, I will spell it out..I believe when you take your truck in for warantee work and the sevice writer says we wont work on this because of the mods, we want to void your waranty...

My response is--find a chip friendly dealer who is not going to refuse to work on it..I wont want them to work on it anyway.

My response is that IF the dealer puts your VIN into OASIS, you'll be blacklisted at ALL Ford dealerships.

So you are saying if you have a chip in it..this will void your warantee for the brake rotors and the leaf springs???

Again, YOUR WORDS, not mine.

I believe it is up to the individual dealer to refuse to work on your vehicle, not to void your warantee...

And I agree with YOU(CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??)--If you go to the dealer, yes he will push you around if you let him and you dont know your rights...

Explain this to me too. LOL! Ford had to buyback my '99 F-150, so I know much more about it than you do.

Again-my truck is out of waranty..I wont take it to the dealer to get it worked on, I had waranty work done, but if had to do it over I wont have taken it to them, They scratched the hood and turned the rotors, when I told them not to...

From what you say about your truck without the cooler--you must have had the 1999...Did anyone ever tell you not to buy the first year model...Is this why you had so many problems with yours??

Well, smartguy, you'd better check your history, as far as the trans cooler/radiator, since it DID occur in the 2000 model year too. FYI, my truck IS a 2000 model. Since you don't know any better, you just put your foot into your mouth, AGAIN.

Ok if you had problems with yours does this make it a bad vehicle??
NO Enough said, so you're not too confused.

I can name 10 people to 1 that love their diesels..And are happy with there purchases

Your point is?

Quick Reply: 5.4 vs. PSD