F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

5.4 vs. PSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R bess--I have to agree with you...You should buy any vehicle as how it suits your needs...

This is how I did it...I bought a PSD 250, because I use it as such, I have a 16' utility trailer that tows, boatcats, rocksaws, cars, metal, house moving, etc. and not to mention I am going to tow a 30' fifth wheel...I live 35 miles from work and needed fuel mileage, I live in the hill country of Texas and needed power to climb the hills..

My wife has a Supercrew, same story needed fuel mileage so we have the 4.6(dog in this truck), but right at 20mpg...

If we are going to tow something we take the PSD, If we are going to haul the people we take the Supercrew...

We prefer to drive the Supercrew when we go some where...

It is Fords commitment to diesel engines from Navistar(not mine), They plan on having 50% of their trucks/SUv's diesel, in a few years...They have a long term contract with Navistar to deliver diesel engines until 2013...

This website is going to change dramatically in the next few months due to the new G2 diesel in the Super Duty. Ford will be the first one to have the baby diesel V6 4.5 liter in the half-ton...The expedition will have the V6 as well...Like it or not the diesel is here to stay and Ford is going to move to it and slowly decrease gasser production...

IMHO-Ford is doing what the people want and what is going to get Ford back on its feet again...Everyone knows that the diesel is more efficient then the gasser anyways..more power, better fuel economy, lower emissions, the diesel will run on cheap vegtable oil...

I should not be knocked down because of this, its Ford that is making these decisions and I totally agree with them...

So, back to the original question, 5.4 or PSD...If you need the towing power or fuel mileage opt for the PSD...If you want just a 5.4, you can get it in the 1/2 ton for a lot cheaper...IMHO....

Old 09-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Mach1
So, back to the original question, 5.4 or PSD...If you need the towing power or fuel mileage opt for the PSD...If you want just a 5.4, you can get it in the 1/2 ton for a lot cheaper...IMHO....
I agree with the first part of this statement, but would tend to disagree (to some extent) with the second part regarding the cost of the 5.4 in the 1/2 ton being cheaper than the 5.4 in the 3/4 ton. When I was shopping around, doing as much of an "apples to apples" comparison as I could given my parameters (F250 Crew Cab vs F150 SuperCrew) I actually saw that many of the SuperCrew models on the dealer lots actually stickered for MORE than comparably equipped SDs.

Old 09-17-2002, 02:46 PM
mmmmmmmmm banana samich in my PSD

Like the man said buy what ya want/need

Old 09-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Actually the 250 with a 5.4 around here is quite abit cheaper than its half ton equivelant. With the same equipment.

Old 09-17-2002, 09:28 PM
cost F250 vs. F150 with 5.4L

In my case, the F150 with the 5.4L was about the same cost as the F150 with similar equipment, EXCEPT, I wanted the 5sp tranny, which isn't available in the F150 with 5.4L..

So I would have had to go to the F150 with the 4.6L to get the 5sp. Making the F150 just one or two hundred less than the F250.

Performance of the F150 with 4.6L is very similar to F250 with 5.4L, and I very much preferred the exterior look of the 4x2 F250 vs 4x2 F150, as well as the much larger interior.

What I did give up is the F150 definately has a smoother ride than the F250 (even after switching over to Rancho RSX shocks).

Old 09-18-2002, 05:45 AM
Now, we got back on topic..Sorry about distraking everyone...

Bess you are right on with the F250 w/5.4, they are cheap, and you can get the 5-speed...Unusual for it not having the 6-speed??? The ride quality is right on...I have the Rancho's as well and the 255/85 tires which both helped but the ride is still not the same as the 150...There is one thing that I like the 250 over the 150 is the fact that i insulated the 250...It is much quieter truck now then the 150..If you people are going to keep your trucks and can handle a little labor...IT IS well worth the effort to gut the interior and sound-deaden and insulate it!!!! It makes a huge difference!!! The stereo noise(sound) stays in the truck, its quieter down the highway, the a/c heater woeks better, less drone on the highway, less fatique to the driver, etc..

Thats a good point on the cost...But for a personal truck, I think the 1/2 ton is the way to go...better ride, better performance, better fuel mileage...I can only see the 150...Now work truck I can see the 250...Although the seats in the 250 are much more comfortable then the 150 supercrew...

the prices are about equal...I know anywork and the 250 gets my vote, and I am not going to tell you what engine I prefer...

But then I would take the same engine in the 150 as well..

Quick Reply: 5.4 vs. PSD