F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Fuel tank size

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank size

I have a Super Duty with the PSD and Lariat package.It has the overhead computer with fuel mileage etc.My question is it is supposed to have a 29 gallon tank but when my mile's to empty show's close to 0' it will only take 25 gallon's.Is there a reserve as a safety that does not account for this.
Thankyou

Jim

Old 08-26-2002, 07:47 PM
Thumbs up

How much fuel you put in your truck is directly dependent on how long you want to stand there adding fuel I like to fill it up till I see actual fuel, not foaming bubbles. To do this takes "a while"!! If you only fill until the nozzle shuts off, then you are not fully filling it up.
Almost forgot, yes there is some reserve that doesn't show on the fuel gauge but I've never run mine out of fuel to check it. The most fuel I've ever been able to get into it has been almost 29 gals. I'd been running on E for about 20 miles by then.

Last edited by Tina; 08-26-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:36 AM
I have put 33 gals in before, still had a couple in there, Yes I know because I dropped the tank...I normally drive about 60-70 miles with the light on and could probably go 100...

But word of caution--If you dont have your tank modded to remove the mixing valve assembly, DONT take your tank down less then 1/4 empty...Air infiltration into the fuel system is excessive under 1/4 tank..Which makes for some bad injector dry fire...(tears up the injectors)....

Tina--there is a mod out for the excessive fuel-up times...After the mod you can fill right up and then just slowly top off the last gallon...

Haven't done mine yet..I have to drop the fuel tank again...I will wait until it cools down first..104 is too hot to work on the blacktop..

Old 08-27-2002, 10:04 AM
Mixing valve?

Can you explain to me what a mixing valve does.I have been working on and driving diesels for over 25 year's and have never heard of one.The only time I ever had air in my system was when I ran out of fuel.
Thankyou

Jim

Old 08-28-2002, 03:04 PM
Dont take my word for it..Just go get some tygon clear hose and install it on either side of the pump, There is so much air in the diesel take it looks like emulsified milk!!!!

I had air but fixed my fuel system, now it runs like a diesel should!!! No more wimpy rattling sounds, and power, yes...along with smoothness...

The mixing valve is in the tank and mixes the returned fuel with the fuel in the tank, warm fuel is recirced into the tank to prevent gelling...

I dont need that here in Texas, heck I only use my glowplugs below 40's...

Quick Reply: Fuel tank size