F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Trans

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans

I own an 02 250 HD PSD 4x4, with an auto trans. Thru these links I've persieved an undercurrent of problems with the stock trans. Is this true, is the trans a weak point in the SD, any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Lightbulb

The transmission, especially in the automatic can be problematic. It will depend on a lot of factors. These factors come together when you tow something really heavy. It tends to heat up all kinds of things. If you've added a chip, then it will heat up even faster. And the automatic transmission tends to heat up too much. Things you can do to help monitor this is to add gauges, pyro, boost (if you like) and transmission. At least this way you'll know when you need to back off the fuel and let it cool down some. You can also change out your lower end oil for synthetic and there's a bigger pan you can add that because of using more oil will keep it cooler. On my manual all I did was change out the oil for synthetic.

Old 08-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Tina
What type of trans oil did you use, alot of people on this board like AMSOIL, thanks

Old 09-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Ive gone through three 4R100's on a 2001. They suck, there is no way around that.

Old 09-03-2002, 04:47 AM
Hey Randy, Do you know what is breaking on the old trans???

I have a rodded 2000, One of the first things I did was replace the pan with a Mag Hy-Tec and fill it with 24 qts of Amsoil syn...While I had the pan off, I dropped the accumulator body and installed a Transgo shift kit...This is about as bulletproofing the trans that you can do wth out replacing it..

If the T/c going on them, buy a Suncoast unit..I have been waiting to replace mine..Waiting to blow it up..

I had mine at the strip ther other night and beat it pretty good ten times down the track...I tow about every other weekend with it..I have 50000 on it, no problems...

Once I blow up the trans, (it will be my fault and not Ford's) I am going to buy a Brians Trans ...

Hey, if you are ever in Austin give me a shout and I will show you the town...

Old 09-03-2002, 08:30 AM
Its been the T/C every time. Im sure my mods havent helped things much but I still think the tranny in the SD's are puny. Im in Austin quaite a bit actually so Ill most certainly let you know next time we are down there.

Old 09-04-2002, 04:40 AM
Randy, not to push a sell or anything...Suncoast T/C has an excellent replacement T/C that is bulletproof and slip proof--the stock unit is 12" and suncoasts is a custom built 13 1/2" size..It doesn't even look stock..I am going to install one in my truck when I blow the stock one...No slip from this baby..Its great if you are modified or towing...

Give me some notice and I will get you my phone number..I live on your side of Austin in the hill country..off of 71W..I believe you would take 87 in from Brady and get on 71E...

Old 09-04-2002, 11:19 AM
I have both the trans and t/c from Suncoast/Proloc. I am very pleased with it.

Never had any problems with the stock E4OD, but when I got above 300 rwhp I thought it was time to upgrade before I had problems. That was last year and a few 1/4 mi. trips ago.

BTW my Mom is from Muleshoe, TX.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Mach1
Randy, not to push a sell or anything...Suncoast T/C has an excellent replacement T/C that is bulletproof and slip proof--the stock unit is 12" and suncoasts is a custom built 13 1/2" size..It doesn't even look stock..I am going to install one in my truck when I blow the stock one...No slip from this baby..Its great if you are modified or towing...

Give me some notice and I will get you my phone number..I live on your side of Austin in the hill country..off of 71W..I believe you would take 87 in from Brady and get on 71E...
Ill have to look into those. I need something. Ive been looking around at what to replace both my trucks trannies with. Ill be in Autin in November so I will be sure to give you a heads up when we come down there.

Old 09-09-2002, 05:57 AM
Yeh--Randy..If you are going to be close to Austin ..give me a yell..You will have to come check my place out..As well as my truck, I have some mods that you would be interested in..

Scar--where is muleshoe tx..???

Old 09-09-2002, 09:07 AM
Muleshoe is across the line from Clovis, NM.

Old 09-09-2002, 05:24 PM
Question trans oil

Again i've read tons of not so good post on the stock trans--what type of synthetic oil should I use to ease the temp prob, thanks again

Old 09-09-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Mach1
Yeh--Randy..If you are going to be close to Austin ..give me a yell..You will have to come check my place out..As well as my truck, I have some mods that you would be interested in..

Scar--where is muleshoe tx..???
Awesome, look forward to it. Ill shoot you a message when it gets closer and we know an exact date we are comming.

Old 09-10-2002, 05:25 AM
Scar--I thought it sounded familiar, I go right by there on the way to Las Vgeas NM..We go up to Red River to go snow skiing...

Bmw1200- The Auto is the weakest link in the drivetrain..I saw this and decided to bulletproof mine...I put in the Mag Hy-tec which uped the capacity to a whopping 6 Gals..I installed the Transgo shift kit, then topped it all off with synthetic fluid...
I have the three guage pillar set which has the trans temp guage, A very worth while investment.

I used Amsoil-however Mobil 1 has a very good synthetic ATF...

The next step up is to go inside of the trans..This is where the T/C come into play...

I have access to all of this stuff and if you need help with any of these just say so...

Randy--I had someone up here from San Antonio last week checking out my operation...We talked business, then just sat around and drank a couple of beers for a couple of hours..I have 5 acres so if you need a place to camp out or overnight I dont see any problem...I should be completed with my building by then..The weather is just now getting nice..If you need to buy something before then give me a yell and I can point you in the right direction, I know a lot of people and can get some good discounts on most anything...

Quick Reply: Trans