F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Radiator cap leaking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator cap leaking.

Has anyone here have any trouble with radiator fluid leaking around the cap on their 7.3 diesel?? I'm on my second radiator cap and it is still leaking. Tommorrow, I will take the cap off and try to put teflon tape on the threads to see if that works. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks. Bugman.

Old 11-30-2002, 09:47 PM
Bugman, theres a rubble gasket in there, ck for damage, check the degas bottle to ensure there is no nicks in the neck...

If you have tried to replace it and it still leaks with a new one, is the system overpressurizing??

If the system gets too much pressure it will pop off and release the pressure..

Have you overheated the engine, or anything else happen...

The teflon tape around the threads would be good troubleshooting, this should seal the threads and just leave the release valve to leak...

Then go from there...

Old 12-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Mach 1,
This morning I took the cap off and there was still pressure in the overflow tank. I was suprised to see that, since the truck was sitting outside overnight in twenty degree weather. I cleaned the cap and the threads and put the teflon tape on the cleaned threads. I took the truck for a thirty mile ride and when I came back, I checked the cap area and so far, I did not see any fluid leaking out. I will keep checking everyday for the next few weeks.
Also, I'm the second owner of the truck. I've had it for 43,000 miles out of 56,000 miles and I've never overheated the engine. There is no way that I could get in touch with the previous owner since I bought the truck through a dealer. Thanks for responding and I will let you know how I make out. Bugman.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:21 AM
If you had leaking with the old cap and a new one, that would point to maybe a piece of crud or a nick in the degas bottle..

This is backed up by the teflon tape sealing it as well..

Yes these closed systems will hold pressure for days...

Depending on leaks in your system, if yours held overnite that is good for you dont have any small leaks in the coolant system..

Old 12-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Mach 1,
I will keep and eye on it for awhile. This Friday I'm replacing the brakes so, I will check it again. Thanks for responding. Bugman.

Quick Reply: Radiator cap leaking.