F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

4 WD with Manual Transfer Case and Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002 | 09:10 AM
|
Question 4 WD with Manual Transfer Case and Hubs

Here’s a 4 WD question for you experts here. I have a 2002 SD with the Manual Transfer Case and the Manual Hubs. I finally got a chance to use the 4x4 with the snow we just had here in New Jersey on Thursday. Wednesday Night I switched the Hubs from Free to Lock and moved the transfer case shift from 2H to 4H. Did all my driving thru the snow, about 100 miles in 4 WD, worked great.
Now here’s my question.
Today I needed the 4x4 for only a few miles and then I got to just wet pavement and shifted to 2WD. I didn’t get out and move the Hubs from Locked to Free knowing that I would need the 4x4 in about 10 miles. The owners manual eludes to the fact that you only hurt your gas mileage if you drive in 2wd with the hubs locked, is that true or do you have to go out and switch the hubs every time you go from 4WD to 2WD to 4WD every time?

Thanks for you help.

George K

Last edited by GeorgeK-NJ; 12-06-2002 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-06-2002 | 11:35 AM
Not an expert by any means, but I have the same setup you do and have not had any problems arise from driving in 2WD with the hubs locked. Granted, I haven't done it for extended periods of time - just when I anticipated needing 4WD again soon.

Old 12-06-2002 | 11:47 PM
Locking hubs

I am not a expert either but i have had 4x4's for 15 years and the best set up is the manual locking hubs. You do lose mileage driving with hubs locked because you are turning the front end and driveshaft. I lock my hubs in atleast once a month and drive truck to work and back to move those parts around in the grease. If you leave them locked in you are causing unneeded wear on those parts. So leaving them locked for a short time is ok, i have done it for days when we are getting snow. running on the expressway i will unlock, not good to run locked in at high speeds. So i beleive that if you leave them locked for a shorttime it does no harm and actually helps a bit. Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: 4 WD with Manual Transfer Case and Hubs