Lamborghini Diablo @ Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLLY COW,,,,

thats a wide rear tire. Like they say, **** happens. I wouldn't critisize the driver. Look at the professional drivers, they all make mistakes and stuff happens you just cannot controll.

I'm gonna call it that they have the wall a bit to close. If you look in the distance, their is a lot more room to get stoped.

Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by SpankDog

[/B]
Before you shoot the driver, take a look at this pic. Seems a lot of cars have gone that route.

VINNIE

Old 02-18-2003, 03:38 PM
those off "camber" turns will do that if not careful....im sure he lifted, and that was all it took

Old 02-18-2003, 03:43 PM
Banned
Yea that corner is also quite a big downhill drop. I'm surprised more cars don't go off there.

Old 02-18-2003, 04:01 PM
seems to me if no one else is on the track you shouldnt be wrecking...sure pro drivers wreck like at daytona, but they are racing and racing a lot of cars all close together at that. Im not saying the guy is a total retard but you have to admit he must have done something wrong, all the money in the world doesn't make up for talent and knowledge of physics and your vehicle. Maybe he was having an off day? oh well....what a waste

Old 02-18-2003, 04:22 PM
I guess in this case, speed & physics were the determining factors more than anything. That turn is alot more complicated than it looks...judging by all the the o poo marks heading off-track

just my $.02

~VyPeR

Last edited by VyPeR; 02-18-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a shame alright, but as long as nobody was hurt........thats all THAT REALLY matters

And Vinnie, its funny you would say that, because while looking at the pics, I was wondering about all those other skid marks also

Old 02-18-2003, 04:56 PM
That's turn no. 12(unless they've renumbered them since adding a chicane just before the bridge?). I remember it well. You come under the bridge blind as you can't see the turn just yet, and then the track falls out from under you as you set up for the very fast turn leading onto the front straight. As someone else said, he may have lifted and then the rear end snapped around on him?

I use to run my 1991 Camaro Z281LE there in Porsche club driver's school events. Haven't been back in 10 years or so but I'll never forget that track.

Dan

Old 02-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Konig
seems to me if no one else is on the track you shouldnt be wrecking...sure pro drivers wreck like at daytona, but they are racing and racing a lot of cars all close together at that. Im not saying the guy is a total retard but you have to admit he must have done something wrong, all the money in the world doesn't make up for talent and knowledge of physics and your vehicle. Maybe he was having an off day? oh well....what a waste

Way too many variables. Did he hit a slick spot, even though its a Lamb...was there a mechanical problem, was it the first lap and he was not used to the track?

and mainly ..What does being on the track by yourself have anything to do with it?
If you are taking the car to its limits or are a bad driver it does not matter.
there is a lot of non-racing wrecks I have seen going to racetracks for the last 30 years, just not as much T.V. coverage on practices.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Lightning Owners are the greatest drivers in the world and drive the greatest vehicle in the world.

I don't think that lambo could live up to my skill level, after all I turned down an F1 ride because I'm dedicated to my current employer.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Im sure any of those variable cold have very well come into play Vinn....Im just saying driving on a track without people flying up on your *** if you make a mistake is a lot less pressure to drive under....your less likely to make a mistake..

Old 02-18-2003, 05:54 PM
ker
As has been pointed out, a lot of variables come into play.

However, if you look up the hill you can clearly see the rubber marks begin (it appears) just before or right at the beginning of the car's departure. I wonder if he came over the hill, believed himself to be off line for the speed he may have been carrying or just felt he was going to fast (panic attack) and not only lifted, but hit the brakes as well. If the rubber line does in deed begin just before the rubber turns then he would have been slightly off camber, loading the front tires, loosing grip, and then the tail turns. I have no experience in one of these so I don't know if it becomes tail happy, most cars will going downhill, off camber in the turn.

After taking another look at the uphill photo. It appears he may have come over the hill, straight into the "rumble strip" (follow his marks), and then either turned to get off them or the car may have been "tossed" to the right. If this is the case he may have ended up further down the hill on the left and into the pit walls.

Last edited by ker; 02-18-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Wink

I think that car was 10PSIguy's ...

Old 02-18-2003, 08:50 PM
whats that silver car in the background? it almsot looks like a prowler but isn't .....

Old 02-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Banned
might be a panoz roadster.

Quick Reply: Lamborghini Diablo @ Road Atlanta