No more L mods :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003 | 07:36 PM
Lightning Struck93>> Yeah, I guess a lot of people hang out there. I'm not one to do that, though. I'm not into showing off my bike. I don't even like riding w/ other people. I don't mean to say I'm better than everyone, but I've been riding since I was 11. I've dragged the pastics on the bottom of the fairing and scraped a ton off my pegs. There just aren't many people around here that do that. They're all interested in going 150 on straightaways, and then they slow way down for corners. I guess I'm not your typical 22 year old sportbike rider. So, to answer your question, yeah, I've seen the bikers hanging out there, but I have never joined them.

About the frame sliders - I totally agree. The only thing is that if you drop it, your fairings will still get a little scratched up. Granted, that's a lot better than destroying them. Also, on an F4i, it's a real pain in the *** to install them. My bike has fallen off its kickstand. That really sucks. It was in my parents' driveway. That really killed the day.

I don't think I've seen your L around here. I love the Gen 1's. I was actually going to go to South Bend to pick up a Lightning (99) tomorrow, but the guy's bank couldn't release his title in time. Looks like I'll be going next week sometime.

Old 05-09-2003 | 07:38 PM
If you want the best all around 600 you can buy.Buy the 600F4I
They are dependable,Handle awesome,fast,comfortable and are the best period.
The next would be the R6
The last bike you should buy is a suzuki.They are alot heavier and dont handle as well as the Honda or the Yamaha.They are overated since the 80s and havent come as far as the the others.
Suzuki doesnt like wheelies either.When they revised then a few years ago,They were indeed one of the faster but not anymore.And more importantly Honda has the the "all around" best bike.

Old 05-09-2003 | 07:54 PM
You'll have a great time on a bike, especially on today's superbikes. I don't ride much nowadays, but it's a nice treat to hop on one on the weekends. A 600 will be fine, especially if you're not going for all-out power. Just remember to always respect the machine, since if you don't, it'll show you who is in a heartbeat. Sure, there are some (few) cars that are faster/quicker than bikes, but nothing can duplicate the experience of being 'tied' to the machine...it will respond with every move you make, like it's a part of your body. Throw it into a long sweeping curve, and you'll get hooked.

I like the big bore bikes, since I like the low-end torque. But the 600s are still awesome. Be sure to get all the proper riding gear, and take the MSF course (this can get you an insurance discount). Take it easy when you take your first ride...the adrenaline will be pumping, and you don't want to get into any nasty situations.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2003 | 08:28 PM
I've been reading/talking with a bunch of people, and here's the thing I'm worried about for both Charles and I....(We'll be riding together ALOT I have a feeling)... Alot of times your natural instinct(what you do in a car) is the exact opposite of what you want to do on a bike..

You get into a corner too hot, and drift wide, THE LAST THING YOU DO is get on the brakes. It'll stand up the bike, and bye bye..

Also going into a corner and countersteering more to hold a tighter line is going to be an interesting thing to get the hang of.. But I can't wait to learn!!!

Old 05-09-2003 | 09:04 PM
i second that, make sure you buy all the proper gear....it may not be as "cool" but your body will thank you if you ever take it down....the msf course is a good idea and if you start riding faster on the street a trackdya or racing/riding school is a good idea.....its addicitive have fun

Old 05-09-2003 | 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Lightning Struck93
The majority of people do drop a bike.. Weither it be at 0MPH,5MPH, 30 MPH, 180MPH.. The fairings generally do hit the ground..
well, if were counting 0, then i had a couple closey's lol

the one time i dropped my nearly 600 pound valkyrie, it was about 1" from hitting the ground, it took everything i had to keep it from touching!

Old 05-09-2003 | 10:24 PM
|
Originally posted by beefcake
well, if were counting 0, then i had a couple closey's lol

the one time i dropped my nearly 600 pound valkyrie, it was about 1" from hitting the ground, it took everything i had to keep it from touching!
Terry: know any good forums for bikes?

Old 05-09-2003 | 10:25 PM
Got to Love a Super Bike cyntaxx

Best of Luck

Old 05-10-2003 | 01:29 AM
I didn't read all the post, but i used to amateur roadrace bikes (2000 zx-6r and cb1 400). Also I am not brand biased.

Out of all the 600's out right now I would buy either the new limited zx-6rr. That is the purest form of race bike on the market right now (besides a Ducati) and has everything you need on it to basically take it to the track except with the exception of a steering damper. Not that you would, but with that in mind comes confidence in handling. It comes with ride height adjustment wich will enable you to adjust rake (none other do). Just look at the specs on their site. remember its the ZX-6RR instead of the regular R. In my professional oppinion it will be hotter than the R6. But its all 90% rider 10% bike.

GSXR-600. Those bikes are great for handling and are built solid. Only problem I have with those is they are dated. I would buy the Anniversary model. Great looking, but i don't see any parts advantage over the regular model other than the paint scheme. but they will be rare.

edit: after reading some of these posts, they made some good points. get the right gear to ride (i have good stuff for sale and cheap ) and plus a riding school is great too. If you don't want to drop the money on school then atleast buy "Keith Codes Science of Road Racing" volumes. There are 3 books and you will benefit greatly from them and they are the only books i recomend. All the top racers i have know owned those books. And i would buy a r6 over the GSXR also. but over the R6, the ZX-6RR. For the price GSXR are not worth it compared to it's competitors today. Just everyone has an r6 I just like the anniversary model. Sorry for the long post. just want you to spend your money wisely.As for the honda, IMO i don't like the direction they have taken with their 600.

Last edited by NateTrun2; 05-10-2003 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2003 | 03:33 PM
Old 05-10-2003 | 03:45 PM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
i mostly go to suzukihayabusa.org

sometimes visit gixxer.com

Old 05-12-2003 | 01:02 AM
I dont know if you've ever riden dirtbikes or not, but it helps a lot. MY first time riding a crotch rocket was when I test drove a Ninja 600R last summer. I pulled out of the guys edition and I was up to 80 in no time flat. It felt natural to me since I have rode dirtbikes my whole life. The main difference is the weight. My advice is if you have never riden anything before, practice for a while in an empty parking lot or a housing edition. It might **** off the people who live there, but who cares about that, right?

Old 05-12-2003 | 01:50 PM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
try www.cycleforums.com

Old 06-08-2003 | 10:58 PM
Banned
i thought you said no more mods?

Quick Reply: No more L mods :(