Then and Than

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003 | 08:08 PM
I have always been amazed at the English language. You have there, their, they’re along with the then, than, and since, sense and then what is the definition of “is”?

I remember years back playing a word game “scrables” or something like that and my ex-wife (wife at the time) asked me if hoed was a word. In her mind referring to “someone hoed the garden”.

Since she did not tell me that and just asked if hoed was a word I asked her if she meant “Can you hoed the door”? I tell you she about died laughing that night. Guess it was a Calif. thing…

Old 08-03-2003 | 08:24 PM
Huked on foniks.... that's us!

Old 08-04-2003 | 01:11 AM
Re: Then and Than

Originally posted by Odin's Wrath
Does nobody listen in elementary school anymore?

Rant over.:o

Shouldn't it be "Does anybody listen..."

Old 08-04-2003 | 08:56 AM
My most hated misuse of a word (and I see it on the internet more than anywhere else) is 'there' vs 'their'
Example: It was there fault. <<

Old 08-04-2003 | 09:04 AM
I'll throw another one in here. Your and you're. I see these used incorrectly so often in the corporate world that it really cracks me up sometimes. We'll get emails from top level executives which go something like: "We are pleased to announce that your going to see some welcome changes in the new benefit program. Please be sure that you're employee records are up to date." It seems like such a simple thing to remember. Your is possessive as in "Show me your truck". You're is for you are! As in: "If you drive a Silverado, you're a dork!"

Old 08-04-2003 | 09:35 AM
How about "its" and "it's". That one ALWAYS jumps out at me.

You ONLY use "it's" when it's the contraction for IT IS.

It's cold outside.

Its bark was worst than its bite. (Note the proper use of "than")

Jenn in OH
(paid attention in Elementary School... High School on the other hand...)

Old 08-04-2003 | 10:04 AM
I would have to say that their, they're, there, your & you're are the most annoying to me when I am reading. I had to write a term paper in my accounting class & the professor would throw your paper out if she found more that 3 grammatical errors. I had all 3 of our company's readers (of medical reports) go over it before I turned it in. If more teachers did that maybe the kids would get the clue as to how important grammer is.

Now as far as talking goes... I can't stand it when people say "ideal" instead of "idea". I had an ex that used to do it all the time. I wanted to beat him every time he said it. I thought I was done with it when we broke up, unfortunately, my husband's parent's say it constantly.

BTW, my hubby gets mad when I tell him to sign his screenname if he posts as me by accident. I always tell him that I don't want anyone to think that I am the one who types without caps & punctuations (he's not nearly as bad as some people we've had on here).

Last edited by rdy2rac with; 08-04-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2003 | 11:39 AM
For all you homonymrods/lexicontortionists, here's a pretty good reference for these issues.

dictionary.com frequently asked questions

scroll to the bottom to the section called What's the difference between...

I still can't get affect and effect right!

Old 08-04-2003 | 12:10 PM
Oh, and that strip of grass between lanes is called a MEDIAN, people! NOT MEDIUM!

Old 08-04-2003 | 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Jimb

I still can't get affect and effect right!
To be effective, one can affect an effect provided there is no affectation.

Old 08-04-2003 | 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SVT_KY
The most aggravating to me is "Sense" as in ...
Oh does that get on my nerves.

Since and Sense. They're not that hard to tell apart, but so many people get them wrong.

Old 08-04-2003 | 04:23 PM
Thank you for the explanation, I didnt want to look stupid and ask

Old 08-04-2003 | 04:52 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
Oh does that get on my nerves.

Since and Sense. They're not that hard to tell apart, but so many people get them wrong.
Perhaps they didn't have enough sense to learn since they were talking in class...

Old 08-04-2003 | 06:46 PM
|
Re: Re: Then and Than

Originally posted by decoy562
Shouldn't it be "Does anybody listen..."
No.

Old 08-05-2003 | 02:01 AM
Originally posted by rdy2rac with
I would have to say that their, they're, there, your & you're are the most annoying to me when I am reading. I had to write a term paper in my accounting class & the professor would throw your paper out if she found more that 3 grammatical errors. I had all 3 of our company's readers (of medical reports) go over it before I turned it in. If more teachers did that maybe the kids would get the clue as to how important grammer is.

Now as far as talking goes... I can't stand it when people say "ideal" instead of "idea". I had an ex that used to do it all the time. I wanted to beat him every time he said it. I thought I was done with it when we broke up, unfortunately, my husband's parent's say it constantly.

BTW, my hubby gets mad when I tell him to sign his screenname if he posts as me by accident. I always tell him that I don't want anyone to think that I am the one who types without caps & punctuations (he's not nearly as bad as some people we've had on here).

Feel the love.