I've gone to the darkside.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:29 AM
Nice car! Had one myself back in 98.

Enjoy! Just don't overrev it. You'll be replacing pushrods more often then you change your oil.

I like that SLP exhaust out the back. Very neat looking!

Paul G.

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:43 AM
|
So, what are you doing? Heads, cam, nitrous, subframe connectors, lid, free mods. How fast will it be with that? About as quick as a Lightning with a KB?
Everything but the heads, that's a while down the road. I'm goin with all the boltons, some BMR LCA's, PHR, Subframe connectors and Torque Arm to put the power to the ground. Then a pretty big cam, probably a G5x1 (228/232 588/575 112LSA). That will put me at about 390-410 rwhp. And about 12.1-11.8 depending on tire. Then the spray .

SS's are nice cars, but i think you took a step down. Remember, you are on a Lightning board trying to give reason for departing.
How so? I had a 99 Lightning that I purchased used for 21k last year. So, I upgraded to a new car. And, of course, it had to be fast and reliable. I think I found a good car. And I didn't get a Mustang/Cobra because 1) I DON'T fit in them. I'm 6'6 260lbs, I just can't drive the car comfortably. 2) I called on insurance on a Cobra. For me it would be $4,100 a year! Compared to $3100 for the SS.

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:52 AM
Banned
All you need now is a mullet and your transformation will be complete

Old 08-06-2003 | 10:58 AM
|
Originally posted by Flying ****
All you need now is a mullet and your transformation will be complete

Old 08-06-2003 | 11:47 AM
Originally posted by 91F-150302
i ment a 35 anniversary edition ss camaro you can read about the cobra beating up on the camraro in one of last years MMAFF mag it was non buyest they had people form a sister mag there that was a chevy mag the same guy drove bolth cars the did like the shift gates better on the camaro than the mustang but the cobra was faster and handled better than the camaro.
This is what happens when you drop out of school at 13.

Old 08-06-2003 | 11:54 AM
thats one sweet lookin ride!

Old 08-06-2003 | 11:59 AM
Please email me any take off aftermarket parts from the L.

mts77@earthlink.net

Thanks,
Tucker

Old 08-06-2003 | 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Lightning#838
I called on insurance on a Cobra. For me it would be $4,100 a year! Compared to $3100 for the SS.
That's crazy! When I was shopping for a Mustang 4 years ago, I checked on insurance for both a '97 GT and a '97 Cobra. Well the Cobra was MUCH cheaper than the GT! The insurance company said the reason was there are fewer claims on the Cobras because there are fewer of them on the roads. Anyway, that helped make my decision very easy!

Old 08-06-2003 | 01:55 PM
If Ford was to put a N/A 5.4 into a mustang to compete cui wise, the SS would get spanked off the bat. Lets talk reality.

Lower cubic inches and forced induction, make for a cleaner running car per EPA specs and meets the CAFE specs for fuel economy. Ford has rules to play by.. GM cut the fbody because they wouldnt have met the laws set without lowering the cubes of their 350 in that car... Could you imagine an SS with a 305? lmfao.

Dont be a hater since GM doesnt have the ***** to force induct a V8. BTW, i see just as many camaro " me too " cars out here, as i do stangs. At least the stangs can be tastefully modified on the exterior...

SS's are nice cars, but i think you took a step down. Remember, you are on a Lightning board trying to give reason for departing.
Could you be any more dense? I mean, come on... are you for real?

Ford did put a 5.4 in a stang as well as a bunch of other "race" stuff and called it a Cobra R. But it sure as hell wasnt spanking any SS's or WS6's. You figure for 60+K Ford might have been able to do so, but i guess not.

And GM didnt discontinue the f-body because it wouldnt be able to meet emissions, that is just a flat out lie. Emissions isnt a rocket science, and if that was an issue at all, it would have been corrected. It all boils down to $$$$. GM is a business, business are out to make money. The sales just werent there anymore.

Stangs tastefully modified exterior? OK, ricer.

Everyone has their reasons for choosing whatever car they wish, so dont hate on the people that choose other than a Ford product, and then try to justify it by puking up fallacies.

Old 08-06-2003 | 02:14 PM
Banned
No, youre dense.

Have you ever driven a Cobra R ? I have... The 5.4 DOHC in those cars would gobble up and spit out an SS in a heartbeat. Youre naive if you think otherwise. LS1's are fast cars, but the 5.4 would stomp their guts out.

So youre saying tha the LS1 would meet the new CAFE and EPA standards for 2004? I dont think so

Im a ricer because a stangs exterior can be made to look killer? Steeda and Saleen both have cosmetics that transform the stang into a killer looking car. You can even go with the Cobra R look. As far as im concerned, Camaro's have always looked like *** and will never beat the looks of a stang. If the fbodies were so tasteful, explain why their sales got tromped by a V6 mustang, year after year

Old 08-06-2003 | 02:27 PM
No, youre dense.

Have you ever driven a Cobra R ? I have... The 5.4 DOHC in those cars would gobble up and spit out an SS in a heartbeat. Youre naive if you think otherwise. LS1's are fast cars, but the 5.4 would stomp their guts out.

So youre saying tha the LS1 would meet the new CAFE and EPA standards for 2004? I dont think so

Im a ricer because a stangs exterior can be made to look killer? Steeda and Saleen both have cosmetics that transform the stang into a killer looking car. You can even go with the Cobra R look. As far as im concerned, Camaro's have always looked like *** and will never beat the looks of a stang. If the fbodies were so tasteful, explain why their sales got tromped by a V6 mustang, year after year
The Cobra R ran low 13's and high 12's on a very good day... just like the new SS or WS6.

Actually yes i am saying the LS1 meets the emissions, because they still use the motor in thier current models (Vette's, Silverado's, Avalanches etc.)

You say camaro's look like ***, and I say i am not to fond of stangs, its a matter of opinion, not going to argue that.

As for why v6 stangs sales beat the camaro... well #1 reason, the majority of people that would buy a V6 stang just want a sporty 2 dr car, and dont really care what it is. The mustang v6 being about 3K cheaper than a V6 camaro played a big part in the sales. And for the rest, well, you owe Budget Rental a big thank you.

Now for the performance orientated sales, i would be real curious to see how many Cobra's were sold vs SS's and WS6's....

*volleys density back to *****

Old 08-06-2003 | 02:39 PM
umm...

Cobra R 1/4 mile in 13.2 secs @ 109 MPH
Camaro SS 1/4 mile in 13.25 secs @ 109 m.p.h

Did a search on google.com take what you want.

Old 08-06-2003 | 04:43 PM
i don't think this is a plane jane ss i belive it is the rare 35 aniversary 400 horse version, thoes came with blacked out tails and the black scoop with 400 painted on the scoop, as well as the slp exhaust, i have seen only one other of these and it was at an import shootout at richmond and it ran high 11's with slicks
i am almost positive this is one of thoes, not the 345 horse ss

am i wrong??

Old 08-06-2003 | 04:55 PM
Banned
Were going to use magazine 1/4 times now?

Ive seen on several occasions, bone stock cobra r's on yokohama road racing rubber nail easy 12.7 1/4's with no power shifting.

The vette is in a different class then the camaro was... therefore, certain epa and cafe laws dont apply... GM also doesnt have one Low Emissions Vehicle that runs on gasoline. Ford has 3 certified LEV and one of them is the Lightning.

Last edited by Flying Mofo; 08-06-2003 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2003 | 04:58 PM
i have the 2000 issue of mm&ff where they ran the cobra r and their times were a slew of 12.5's