For those of you who still care about freedom in this country

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In Virginia we have unions but, we also have a Right To Work law.

Thay still have some power here but not as powerful as elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sirket
XLT,

You never did answer my question about whether we should abolish unions or not. Well, you answered it and I asked for clarification and then you never responded.

Just curious about your opinion on the matter.

-Don
It should be an individuals choice as to weather they want to be in a union or not. Now, regardless if a company has a union an individual should also have the right to work there and NOT be associated with the union, if that is their choice. Otherwise known as “The Right to Work”…

Therefore, if an individual walks into a company and does not wish to be associated with a union, but the company does not allow them to work if they do not join the union that is discrimination in my book and thus all discrimination should be outlawed. Would you not agree?

Old 01-16-2004, 01:33 PM
A big problem we have is people voting along party lines. Partisan politics suck. I vote for the best person for the job being filled regardless of party affiliation. I have no problem voting for a dem for one post or a rep for another. Imagine if companies hired people based on affiliations rather than whether or not they could do the job. What a mess that would be. Wait that is exactly the problem in Washington (and MassPort) now isn't it?

I'm 38, spell well but can't type. I do not know who I am voting for yet but I can safely say it will not be Kerry. He cannot answer a simple yes or no question. He is always talking out the side of his mouth. "Yes, but" or "No, but"

A flat tax can work. The mega rich do not pay taxes because of loopholes and other hiding places created for them so that they will contribute to campaigns etc. If everybody paid 10 or even 20 percent regardless of income we would be better off than we are now. I am paying over 30% and it sucks. Abolish most of the IRS, imagine the savings just by getting rid of their payroll and costs! Have the employer take out the flat percentage and you would not have to file every year because there would be no exceptions or exemptions. Everyone pays the same. Simple. Self employed would have to pay as well but a smaller more efficient IRS would handle that. I admit that I am not versed in economics and I am sure there are flaws in my logic. Don will point them out.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Otherwise known as “The Right to Work”…
Would you not agree?
Of course I don't agree! I'm a liberal and therefore disagree with everything you say, even if I agree with you!

Of course I agree with you.

-Don

Old 01-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Don't forget Kerry was in Vietnam. He only mentions it every time he opens his mouth.

Ted Kennedy (sadly) has single handedly ensured that I will not vote for a Democrat from Massachusetts.

A flat tax can work.
Yes but none of proposals anyone has floated so far will work.

The mega rich do not pay taxes because of loopholes and other hiding places created for them so that they will contribute to campaigns etc.
That really isn't true. The wealthiest Americans account for less than 3% of the population but 30% of the tax revenue. I would hardly consider that "not paying" taxes.

Abolish most of the IRS, imagine the savings just by getting rid of their payroll and costs!
Amen! The IRS really has been gutted though. They have so many fewer people than they use to.

Self employed would have to pay as well but a smaller more efficient IRS would handle that. I admit that I am not versed in economics and I am sure there are flaws in my logic. Don will point them out.
The problem is that there are people on both sides of the aisle who hate the flat tax and make sure that it doesn't get passed.

We don't need a flat tax to make things better though. The graduated income tax also has its advantadges. The problem is the sheer number of loopholes, deductions, exceptions and whatnot. Get rid of all the deductions, and lower the graduated tax rates and that simplifies everything for everyone.

Our tax code is bigger than the national archives of some countries. That's just plain sad

-Don

Old 01-16-2004, 02:24 PM

That really isn't true. The wealthiest Americans account for less than 3% of the population but 30% of the tax revenue. I would hardly consider that "not paying" taxes.
-Don
I don't agree, it depends on whos statistics you read. Another problem we have is getting factual data to the voters. Most of the facts are either conveniently missing or distorted by one interest group or another.

I agree that Kerry is a Kennedy wannabe and that is another reason I would not vote for him. Dean has good points and bad points but so do all the other candidates. I have not zeroed in on my choice yet. I will say that I am sick and tired of them all calling my house. I may vote for the only one who hasn't called me yet! Just kidding of course but I am sure people have voted for someone for worse reasons.

Old 01-16-2004, 02:31 PM
We don't need a flat tax to make things better though. The graduated income tax also has its advantadges. The problem is the sheer number of loopholes, deductions, exceptions and whatnot. Get rid of all the deductions, and lower the graduated tax rates and that simplifies everything for everyone.

Our tax code is bigger than the national archives of some countries. That's just plain sad

-Don
I agree! No filing/No refunds/No more April 15th deadline because you would have already paid exactly what you should have based on a W4 like form you filed with your employer. No 1040 or other return, just pay your fair percentage right from your weekly paycheck. No loopholes or exceptions. I would still give some sort of credit/deduction for children but it would have to be a fair amount that did not screw the taxpayers without children as that is their choice and right. It is expensive to raise children!

Old 01-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
The IRS is here to stay, and so are all the remora agencies and privatized support groups. Hell, half the CPA's and Lawyer's in the country would be unemployed if we embraced a flat tax or a tax structure that's been gutted of it's loopholes, perks, deductions, etc.
A flat tax would reek destruction on our economy.

Flat tax is a great idea, I'd love to see it, but somebody's gotta figure out what to do with all the mass unemployment it will cause.

Last edited by serotta; 01-16-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Of course I don't agree! I'm a liberal and therefore disagree with everything you say, even if I agree with you!

-Don
You gotta admit, it is humorous how much stuff we agree on, then along comes Iraq and all post/thread hell breaks loose

Just imagine no more tax filing Agh I hate this part of the year!

Old 01-16-2004, 06:14 PM
You gotta admit, it is humorous how much stuff we agree on, then along comes Iraq and all post/thread hell breaks loose
I've said all along that we probably agree on a ton of issues

Just imagine no more tax filing. Agh I hate this part of the year!
My corporate taxes have to be filed by March 15th which is even worse. I have to meet two deadlines and the first one involves a ton of paperwork.

-Don

Old 01-16-2004, 06:49 PM

-Don
Looks like we are making progress, yes?

Old 01-17-2004, 01:47 PM
No offense to any of my American friends down south, but has anyone read Orwell's 1984?

I have.

Ever since Clinton and the whole cigar incident I really didn't trust anything that happened. It seems everything that comes out of Bush's mouth is doublespeak, and judging by the initial post in this thread, it seems he has something to hide.

As someone stated earlier, while you still have suffrage in terms of voting, make sure you exercise your vote to oust Bush from office.

Little by little, inch by inch, one sentence at a time, Americans' freedoms are being molested all in the name of "security". Be aware, be skeptical, and remember that "freedom is not the ability to say anything, but the right to say what ought to be said."

Keep your eyes open, scrutinize, and use your vote to amplify your opinion.

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men.

Old 01-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by TorontoF150

Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men.

']['HE SHADOW KNOWS. MU-HA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAaaaa!

Old 01-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by serotta

Flat tax is a great idea, I'd love to see it, but somebody's gotta figure out what to do with all the mass unemployment it will cause.
Legalize prostitution as part of the deal and use the extra income, from taxing this new source of revenue, to step up border enforcement. The lawyers and CPAs that aren't able to make a living in the newly legitimized service industry, can do landscaping, food prep at Chinese restaurants, and supplement the increased agricultural labor shortage caused by clamping down on illegal immigration.

Problem solved! Bring on the flat tax.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:02 PM
No offense to any of my American friends down south, but has anyone read Orwell's 1984?
I have. Along with "The HandMaids Tale," "Brave New World," "Farenheit 454," and "Anthem."

There is nothing more sinister or terrifying than the slow erosion of civil rights, escpecially when society believes it to be in their best interest.

Benjamin Franklin warned us about this in "A Historical Review of Pennsylvania" when he said "They that would give up essential liberty, for a little temoporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Countless other authors have warned us about this.

And in the end? We go right ahead and embrace a self imposed tyranny. One of these days we are going to realize what we have done. I only hope that it isn't too late to undo the damage.

The English have cameras in the street. They want to track every car using GPS and roadside sensors. Europe wants a continental constitution. How long until they change their name to Oceana?

-Don

Quick Reply: For those of you who still care about freedom in this country