Oh, boy... Here goes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, boy... Here goes.

Well, I've been in the process of getting out of the military for the past few months. While I was deployed, I had the misfortune of being blown up by an improvised claymore at the start of an enemy ambush. Recovered mostly in-country, was in numerous firefights, and lost several friends.

So, because of my leg being less then 100%, the Army decided to let me go and started the paperwork. I've also been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and am working on recovering from that. So all these findings, medical reports, etc, were all sent to a Medical Evaluation Board in Fort Lewis, Washington for a board to review, decide if I should be retained, retrained, or released, and if disability should be granted.

So like I said, my MEB just came back, and I'm driving up to Tripler Army Medical Center here in a few minutes to find out the results. Should know in about an hour. Keeping my fingers crossed, its taken awhile getting used to the fact that I'm getting out, but now I am used to it, and freakin' ready.

Alright, I'm out. Take it easy,

Thomas
U.S. Army
Airborne Infantry

Old 09-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Crap, I thought I was still in General Discussion. I apologize, guys. Didn't mean to post that in here.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Good Luck, and take care of yourself.

-Mike

Old 09-20-2004, 08:13 PM
WOW, that's heavy
I would imagine the second that happen, all kinds of
wild and crazy stuff is running through your mind

I commend you my Brother for defending our Country
(and killing those useless POS's)
Very sorry to hear what happen, I hope they send you home
(and with a nice little disability package too)

Old 09-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Just got back... I can't keep the grin off my face. Don't get me wrong, I've loved serving, and nothing is worth friends lost... But I need to be a civilian, so I can concentrate on getting myself and family straightened out.

...and the Army agrees, giving me 30% disability, and $18,000 severance pay. More then I expected...

Load off my mind. I can't believe I'll be a civilian in a month. I joined out of high school; I've never even had a real job.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the civilian world, Duende! You should feel good. You served tihs great country of ours, came back in one piece, and have a little cash in your pocket to start the rest of your life.

Kudos to you kiddo. You need some nanners for your new beginning:

Old 09-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Congrats for what you do/did Bro!

I know you are happy to be out...but I got to tell ya, no amount of pizz ant money can replace what you have seen, done, and how it has affected you. Don't let the gov push you around...if you really do feel that you are messed up, either from wounds or mentally, don't back down...push for more money! Get a lawyer. In my eye, people like you should be treated like F'ing royalty, for making the sacrifices you have, and defending MY freedom. Even if you don't get more money out of them...I hope you wake up every day with a sense of pride, knowing (hopefullly) thousands, if not, millions of Americans are extremely greatfull to you for servig them!

Welcome to the world of Civy's Buba...you better go shopping, cause when you open your closet now, you have more choices besides the field uniform, or the dress uniform!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Duende

Load off my mind. I can't believe I'll be a civilian in a month. I joined out of high school; I've never even had a real job.
don't kid yourself, you had the realest job of all. Thanks for your service to your country. 60 years ago you might have got a parade but I guess that some thanks from truck enthusiasts on the internet will have to do. You are a hero in my book. Good luck to you in getting all better and starting your new life!

Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by fatman66
don't kid yourself, you had the realest job of all. Thanks for your service to your country. 60 years ago you might have got a parade but I guess that some thanks from truck enthusiasts on the internet will have to do. You are a hero in my book. Good luck to you in getting all better and starting your new life!
Ditto: you have the realest job out there.
Welcome home and thanks

Old 09-21-2004, 10:05 AM
You are honored my young friend!

Remember, when you get out into the civilian world, that you have sacrificed a lot for us. If you need help, seek it out. Even come here and we will do what we can. Also take advantage of all of the military benefits you can. With your strict military training, college will be a breeze as long as you stay focused and realize that you are more than capable of doing the work. And through the GI Bill, it is free. Ask for a veteran discount wherever you go, and whatever you purchase. You'll be suprised how many people pass up a good opportunity because they never ask. When applying for a job, state your military service on your resume proudly. Just like higher education, military service ranks high on the list of desirable qualities.

Good luck, Congratulations and Thank You!

Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Congrats on your deployment! And thank you very much for your service for the USA. I cant imagine all the things you and the other troops have seen. Just when I think ive got it bad here at school with 4 exams this week, i realize just how good ive got it, and thats makes me that much prouder of my country and what a good job we're doing overseas.

Thank You, and God Bless you on your trip home!!

Old 09-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Wow. Thanks so much for all the kind words. I really don't even know what to say here. I'm touched. Thank you, everyone.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:59 PM
no words...

Duende, All I can say is Thank You! You and your lost friends are the reason we have what we have today. Welcome Home!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Suspended
Thumbs up

Thank you and good luck to you and yours in the future!beers: nanners with beer is always good. : Were did my nanner go? Oh shoot the more I edit the worser it gets!

Last edited by ranger81; 09-21-2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Duende
Wow. Thanks so much for all the kind words. I really don't even know what to say here. I'm touched. Thank you, everyone.
The thank yous are all on this side of the table kiddo.

Now, go get a job you civilian bum!

Quick Reply: Oh, boy... Here goes.