............gun Safety..........lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a while since I shot a Glock...but even my smallest cheapest little S&W Semi Auto .22 cal. automatically sets the saftey either when you pull the action back or when the last shot is fired and the action is locked open. You have to release the action then turn off the safety to resume firing after installing a second clip.

But apperently it was a faulty gun anyway... He had removed the clip then opened the action that should have ejected a shell if it was chambered up... Why was he carrying it hot is a good question to ask?

It's been a few years since I took the gun safety class I had to go through to get my hunting license. But back then they told us
1. Not to carry a weapon with a round in the chamber...DUH
2. Always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction...again DUH..
I bet this guy wishes he would have done both...
3. Most accidents involving firearms are done with "unloaded" guns...
This guy is proof

I'm confident theses basics have not changed much in the last 20 years or so... I'm getting ready to go get my concealed weapons license and have to take a course to get it... I will be refreshed again then to...I sure hope my instructor is smarter than this guy! LOL

Old 03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What a jackass. "TREAT ALL GUNS AS IF THEY WERE LOADED!"

Way to go, Dirty Harry.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg and they wonder why people run when a cop draws there gun. did anyone see the other one of th LAPD female officer who almost shot a suspect in the head while trying to draw her gun out of the holster. she wounded another officer in the eye when a peice richoched off the ground.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Sounded like to me he said "I'm hit", then he decides to proceed with the gun safety class!!!?

Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by PSS-Mag
It's been a while since I shot a Glock...but even my smallest cheapest little S&W Semi Auto .22 cal. automatically sets the saftey either when you pull the action back or when the last shot is fired and the action is locked open. You have to release the action then turn off the safety to resume firing after installing a second clip.
Sounds like you have a defective gun?

Why was he carrying it hot is a good question to ask?

It's been a few years since I took the gun safety class I had to go through to get my hunting license. But back then they told us
1. Not to carry a weapon with a round in the chamber...DUH
He's a cop for pete's sake. Is a drug dealer going to wait while he loads his gun?

You hunt with an unloaded gun?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by inbred
Sounds like you have a defective gun?

Nope it explains it in the instruction manual. It's perfectly logical. I am pretty sure the newer P-90's are also the same way.

He's a cop for pete's sake. Is a drug dealer going to wait while he loads his gun?

You hunt with an unloaded gun?
I did not say unloaded...I said not chambered up. If he was in a shoot out then...
He would either have his gun drawn on the perp. wich you chamber up and take your gun off safty at that time when your ready to use it... If your not ready to use it. Don't draw it! "Because you will cause more harm and risk innocent lives if you do!"
Or if he is getting shot at unexpectedly he would be hitting the dirt before he would EVEN think about reaching for his gun, it takes no less time to chamber up as you draw than it does to flip the safety off. It can all be done simutaniously.

To the second question.. No my moma didn't raise no fool...I will not have one in the chamber while walking through the woods and it is also always on safety. Nor will I hunt with anyone who would! I have a funny thing about living, I enjoy it to much. When coon hunting "racoons" I chamber up & take the safety off when I reach the tree and have spotted the coon. When deer hunting, I chamber up when I get to the tree stand. When turkey hunting, again when I am in my blind. I still don't take the safety off untill I see the target.

After watching that video you seriousley want to carry a round in you chamber?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:31 AM
well bud, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one...

How would you feel about a revolver?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:38 AM
My 9 yo daughter has a doube action revolver that her great granpa gave her...If I were to carry it I would only keep 5 rounds in it...

Old 03-11-2005, 04:40 AM
uncles a navy seal.. and other stuff and dad has a CHL uncle trained me in many weapons tactics and tactical entry and shooping stances. long rifle firing and breathing control and all that good stuff... not everyone is intelligent enough to operate a weapon. i carry ****ed and locked. but the thing about it is glocks have no safety on them. but that guys a dumb azz plain and simple.... but for any of you if u heard that there was a poll and cops shoot themselves or other officers more then they shoot criminals.... but cops these days are policers they're just tax collectors with guns

Last edited by Faster150; 03-11-2005 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:44 AM
IMHO, it was a faulty human moreso than a faulty gun. I have three Glocks.

It "should" have ejected the chambered round.

He "should" have visually and physically checked the chamber more than once.

It is also a "magazine", not a "clip".
(Pet peeve of mine.)

I keep my Glocks, especially my CCW one fully loaded with a full magazine and one in the chamber. A goblin ain't gonna wait while you chamber a round. Your racking hand also might be needed for other things.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Faster150
uncles a navy seal.. and other stuff and dad has a CHL uncle trained me in many weapons tactics and tactical entry and shooping stances. long rifle firing and breathing control and all that good stuff... not everyone is intelligent enough to operate a weapon. i carry ****ed and locked. but the thing about it is glocks have no safety on them. but that guys a dumb azz plain and simple.... but for any of you if u heard that there was a poll and cops shoot themselves or other officers more then they shoot criminals.... but cops these days are policers they're just tax collectors with guns
I mostly concur with you, but Glocks have three safeties.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 AM
1. From what I understand a GLOCK wont discharge on its own. If it does then its prolly a defect.

2. It may have been a "blank" to get the kids attention, and to show how easy it is for a gun to discharge accidently and take a life. If it can happen to a police officer, then it could happen to a child. Might help the children in that classroom realise how dangerous a gun can be in the hands of someone who knows NOTHING about a gun (weapon).

MY 2

Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Rule of thumb,

When instructing a firearms safety class there should be absolutely no live ammunition. PERIOD!!!
Police officer or no police officer.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
The Glock the DEA dude was carrying worked perfectly. Pull the trigger it goes bang. The malfunction was at the top of the neck.

There are only 4 laws of gun handling:

1- The gun is always loaded.

2- Do not point the gun at anything you do not want to destroy.

3- Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

4- Be sure of your target and what is beyond.

A gun with an empty chamber is useless. It makes for a very poor club. I always carry with one loaded in the chamber. I may have to use my other hand to fend off a knife or other assailant so I don't want to have to rack the slide to get my gun into action.
On the other hand, I would not go into the woods with about 90% of the hunters I met if they carried any ammo at all.

Fritz

Last edited by Fritzthecat; 03-30-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
As a tax collector with a gun (A.K.A Police Officer) who carries a glock and is qualified by my dept as an "expert", I agree it was human error. Although I don't know why it didn't discharge the round when the slide was locked to the rear and the gun was out of battery. As per department regs, I carry 15 rounds in the magazine and 1 chambered for a total of 16 in the gun and wouldn't dream of doing anything less. If they told me not to chamber a round, I would promptly hand them my weapon and badge and find a new job, I also enjoy living. Police work is reactive rather than proactive, if someone pulls a weapon on me I want the shortest time possible to have my weapon pointed at them and ready to fire as possible. A Glock, like all guns, will only fire when the trigger is pulled, that is why there is no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm. Glocks do have 3 safties, but not a traditional on/off saftey as most people think of them. Pulling the trigger automatically disables all three safties allowing the weapon to discharge.

I believe Fritzthecat meant: 2. Don't point the gun at anything you DON'T want to destroy.

Everyone here is intitled to thier opinion, this is just mine. That being said, Faster150 I hope you never find yourself to be a victim of a crime, but if you did, who would you call for assistance? Nobody likes cops until they need one. There are good and bad police officers out there, don't let the actions of idiots like this DEA guy lead you to over generalize.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by bigsherm77; 03-11-2005 at 03:42 PM.