............gun Safety..........lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh extended magazines

For some reason I picture Dirty Harry with a glock. J/K

If there is 16 guys shooting at you...Then you need luck & back up, not time...

Group of people shooting at me...no back up.... I couldn't get to the riot gun... "Yea" all they will see is a$$hole and elbows...Because I'm outta there faster than a set of rims at a 50 cent concert! What ever it is I'm sure it's not worth commiting suicide for...

If "shoot outs" are that common of a concern or occerence...Why are cruisers not armored?
I understand intimidation is 90% of the objective in these hypothetical situations & scenarios.
But when the bad guys we are speaking of that pose this threat for this behavior are likely packing .50 cal DE's & full auto rifles loaded with A.P. rounds.. Kind of makes a 9mm Glock even with 16 hollow point rounds & a riot gun seem like pee shooters.. Plus combined with thier "I don't give a fluck" type attitude that they likely have... Since they have you out powered. Then you just posed more of a threat pissing them off to which encourages them to open fire on you...

Then lets look at the more rounds:
It's great and everything. I have a few 25 & 50 rnd banana clips "magazines" myself. But the pshycology behind it states that if you think you have suffecient rounds in a hostile situation you are more likely to go into spray and pray behavior patern. "Wasting ammo" Which means, you are more likely to run out of bullets and the threat will not be neutralized yet. The result of that ends that you would be a sitting duck.
(Filling the air with lead only works in hollywood scripts... Yet on the street, you end up dead!) They know that you have no more than 76 rounds. "If your lucky enough to carry 3 extra clips." Most issue belts I have seen only have 2 pouches and the pouches are only big enough for a 10 round clip. That would only be 46 Rnds.

Short of an army, there is just NO substitute for common since. Big guns, more ammo, more gear = False security and False confidence. The reality is that everyone of us bleeds red blood. "Unless you are Robo Cop"

I'm sure that most cops are competent, but I'll gladly pay more taxes to hire cops with skill, then we can worry about buying thier gear for them... Just my 1/2 of a cent...

Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear what your saying PSS Mag. In most situations, cops are out gunned, unfortunately.

All I will say about hiring high caliber people for this profession is that everyday, politics becomes a larger and larger part of the hiring process. Baltimore City just swore in a new police chief who would not qualify to be a patrol officer if he applied like everyone else.

Oh yeah, most, and I say most, police are much better trained for a situation such as a shoot out. Criminals and gangsters are usually not very good shots.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:19 PM
LOL ... Sad but true .... I hate polotics with a passion! BUT every other known system thus far either gives the powers that be TO MUCH power to be, or thier is complete and total chaos. I would think that there has to be a happy medium but that my be only in a utopian world.

With most of the criminals and gangsters of coarse thier bad shots... It's hard for them to target practice in an apartment building...Thats why they have so much ammo... 1 out of every 100 shots is bound to get lucky...So they spray and pray they have enough to get lucky enough times to walk. LOL You could probably turn side ways in the open and drop to one knee. Take aim and plink them like cans on the fence rail. They probably would not beable to hit you like that... LOL

Disclaimer
Don't test that theory, head for cover!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not a police man, I don't deserve that title, and I won't say what they can or can't do.

But, I don't buy the "underarmed" thing. There's nothing that's available to crooks that isn't available to police departments. "Armor piercing?" Most any centerfire rifle cartridge can defeat body armor. The .270 Winchester deer gun you can buy from Wally World with a scope for like $500 will make hot butter out of any body armor short of something with a trauma plate, and even that will only work once. Maybe on the individual officer level, some may be outgunned, although I'm sure some police departments issue shotguns and rifles to patrol units for trunk guns.

But that's another thread. Mr. Glock .40 was a freaking idiot. Cop or no cop, before handling any firearm, the chamber must be checked and cleared (several times) and the action locked open.

Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 PM
You would have thought that while he had the action locked open both he and another guy looked to insure it was empty... Even if a shell is jammed in the chamber it's hgard to miss shiney brass contrast against flat black. The more I look at it and the more I think about it. I think it was a blank loaded with paint, designed for vivid demonstration to prove his point. Which was that accidents happen even with the best training and unloaded guns kill too. Like that article said... The lady's 7 yo son who was there with her and witnesed it. He never wants to touch a gun ever.

I'm not sure that I agree with that outcome... I love our heritage and want to pass it on to my kids, and to thier kids, etc. I don't want my kids to be scared of guns, but I do want them to respect them and know that they are not toys.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:47 AM
update:

Apparently is was an actual round and not a blank for training purposes and as far as I can tell the agent is still under investigation. Alot of the reports I read they were more concerned about someone video taping an undercover agents identity than the fact that he shot himself in a classroom full of kids.

Here is more info if you are interested..

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/gunsafety.asp

Old 03-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Hmm Interesting....

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with this picture and statement???

An agent with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency was been suspended after video surfaced showing the man shooting himself during a gun safety class in front of a group of Orlando fourth-graders.

An investigation has been launched to determine who leaked the home video of the undercover DEA agent shooting himself at an event sponsored by the Orlando Minority Youth Golf Association.

Experts in the field said that the undercover agent should never have been videotaped because it could put the agent's life at risk.

"It puts a lot of undercover agents in jeopardy if their faces are videotaped," a masked agent told Local 6 News. "His identity is burned. His identity is known as a police officer and its a potential personal safety hazard to himself as well as his family members."
If it puts him at risk or if they are worried about getting his cover blown, if they do not want anyone to know he is a cop then... Why is he wearing a black shirt with the word POLICE and a shield in BIG.. BRIGHT.. YELLOW letters across the front of it AND why is he doing Public Relations work putting his face in public as a represenative of the department?

If this is true then I call BS! They are mad about the embarssment and looking for an escape goat!

Old 03-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Pss mag, we definately agree! That whole part of the story seems very strange. All undercover guys realize the risks they are taking and for one to agree to give a gun safety class seems unlikely to say the least. I would guess that the DEA is trying to put a spin on it to divert attention from the real issue; he could have killed someone. But it could be that he is a FORMER undercover agent and with this well publicized mistake they fear retaliation from people he helped arrest in the past.