Ownersite.com ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005 | 05:17 PM
MHP
|
Question Ownersite.com ?

When looking at TSB's for our trucks on Ownersite you only see a Bulletin #. Will Ford be able to know what the TSB # is if I go to them with this information? Or will I need the actual TSB # which I dont seem to see at Ownersite.com

Typical TSB # 05-5-15

Ownersite Bulletin# 18278

Old 04-28-2005 | 08:52 PM
You may want to A. inquire over at ownersite.com or B. At least post in questions about this site forum. You'll get a better chance of webmaster guru & ownersite.com man see and respond to your question...

Old 04-28-2005 | 09:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

18278 sounds like a special service message, or SSM, number, not a TSB number. SSMs are basically abbrievated TSBs and are normally not made available to the public. For some reason or another, Ford's website isn't cooperating with me tonight, so I'll see if that's a valid SSM number when I get to work tomorrow.

Old 04-28-2005 | 09:11 PM
F150online
Founder
My experience with dealerships has been that if you bring a TSB to their attention based on the content/coverage area of the TSB, they will either 1) pretend to not be aware of it or 2) acknowledge it. The actual internal vs. NHTSA (what Ownersite presents) naming convention is not that important.

Remember, TSB's are not, nor were they ever, intended for consumer consumption. Thanks to the Internet age, they are available to us (full-text through some fee-based sources other than Ownersite), but their true intent is for internal use by the repair facility as a roadmap or starting point to help diagnose and repair known problems.

If you present the TSB summary for a rattle to your dealer, they should be smart enough to match up your complaint with a TSB they have on file on how to repair it.

From their perspective, the TSB you present them is only going to be an aid in diagnosing the problem. They are not going to recognize your diagnosing of a problem as being fixed by TSB "xx-xx-xx" and immediately set forth in fixing it based on the content of that TSB. They will go through their own internal diagnosis procedure regardless.

Despite what some websites (that want to sell access to them to you) may call them, TSB's are NOT "hidden warranties." The dealer is under no obligation to fix something that may be referenced by a TSB if your vehicle is out of warranty. They are basically internal technical documents that help them do their job.

Again, this is my personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-28-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:28 PM

Steve, excellent summary. A very common misconception is that TSBs are some kind of super classified need-to-know-basis-and-you-don't-need-to-know recall. Unfortunately, that belief is exacerbated by articles like this:
In addition to recalls, there are also technical service bulletins (also called "TSBs" or "Service Bulletins"), which are similar to recalls except that the defect(s) haven't cropped up in enough vehicles for a recall to be issued. In other words, only a small amount of people have discovered and complained about the problem. The manufacturer lets the dealership's service department know about the problem, and if someone brings in a vehicle with said problem, it should be taken care of for free.
Provided the vehicle is still within manufacturer's warranty, of course. But they forget to mention that little fact.

I've been on both sides of the fence, and even working for a dealership, I've yet to understand why some dealers play dumb when a customer brings in a TSB outlining the concern they're experiencing and a possible remedy for said concern. Anything I can use to get the vehicle out of my stall faster, fixed right, so I can get another job, I'm all for it.

Old 04-28-2005 | 09:44 PM
F150online
Founder
Edmund's description is a bit misleading, IMO, as you note.

Recall campaigns are ultimately mandated and overseen by the Federal government, which generally relate to problem serious enough in nature or reported frequency that they cause legitimate safety concerns.

Few people know this, but regardless of whether you are the first owner or the fifth owner of a vehicle and regardless of whether the vehicle is under warranty or has been out of warranty for ten years, the manufacturer still has the legal obligation to fix the recalled item.

TSB's are nothing more than internal technical documents made available to repair facilities on how to most efficiently and cost-effectively diagnose and fix a known recurring problem. The problem could be a rattle, faulty radio reception, improper headlight alignment, poor brake pad wear, etc, etc.

As I believe we are both pointing out, they are not at all related to recalls and, IMO, it is irresponsible to equate them in any way to recalls.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-28-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:22 PM
Originally posted by dzervit
You may want to A. inquire over at ownersite.com or B. At least post in questions about this site forum. You'll get a better chance of webmaster guru & ownersite.com man see and respond to your question...
Or he could show up in 20 minutes and answer it here... go figure. So sad when I have to flame myself!

Old 04-28-2005 | 10:26 PM
MHP
|
Thanks for all the good Info. I guess all i can do is take my truck to the dealer, mention the TSB's and hope they use them to fix the problem. I do seem to have an understanding Service Manager that has at times looked them up and moved on them. I.E. PCM reflash for throttle lag. But the bigger problem is the rough idle which I believe it was Quintin who said there was a TSB on it 05-5-15. That is the one I was looking for on Ownersite.

Thanks Again, As usual this site is a wealth of info.

Last edited by MHP; 04-28-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:27 PM
Originally posted by dzervit
Or he could show up in 20 minutes and answer it here... go figure. So sad when I have to flame myself!
Its your lucky day dzervit !
You better run out and buy that lotto ticket quick.
Later Trev

Old 04-28-2005 | 10:47 PM

Originally posted by MHP
Thanks for all the good Info. I guess all i can do is take my truck to the dealer, mention the TSB's and hope they use them to fix the problem. I do seem to have an understanding Service Manager that has at times looked them up and moved on them. I.E. PCM reflash for throttle lag. But the bigger problem is the rough idle which I believe it was Quintin who said there was a TSB on it 05-5-15. That is the one I was looking for on Ownersite.

Thanks Again, As usual this site is a wealth of info.
If you can, get the part number off your PCM and I can make sure there's a later calibration available for it.

Old 04-28-2005 | 10:57 PM
MHP
|
Originally posted by Quintin
If you can, get the part number off your PCM and I can make sure there's a later calibration available for it.
Quintin,
Part # 4L3A-12A650-AMB. With a re-calibration sticker under the hood # 042114A dated 12-1-05.
Thanks again for your help

Old 04-28-2005 | 11:12 PM

There is a later calibration, 4U7A-12A650-GTA.

Edit to add: Unless the recal sticker you're talking about already loaded that calibration.

Last edited by Quintin; 04-28-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2005 | 07:51 AM

18278 isn't a valid SSM number as far as I can see. I don't know what that number represents as far as Ownersite is concern. The boss prolly knows, but I think he's St. Looey bound for a truck race.