What's Your Most Anal-Retentive Automotive Quirk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine would have to be slamming the door. OMG I can't stand for someone to get in and WHAM!!!!! They think it's a dam log truck or something. That's my little pet peave.

Old 05-23-2006, 03:30 AM
Talking

I drive my truck - a lot, I use it for a work truck, so it looks like a work truck.

As often as not when I am in my truck there is a small Beagledog sitting on the front seat between me and the other passenger if there is one. He sits on a clean towel, but the cloth seat there gets cleaned when the truck does unless it needs it more frequently. That is his spot as much as the drivers seat is mine. Mans best friend and all that...

I wash my truck every couple of months whether it needs it or not, usually in a drive thru car wash (I have a coatings business, and my truck is coated with a clearcoat that will protect the paint just as much as a spray on liner will protect the bed - even love bugs come off with cold water from a hose with a spray nozzle) which does just fine.

If there are any things I am obsessive about - nobody else drives my truck!

If a friend is moving or towing and they need my truck, they get me too (sorta like taking your boat to the lake on the weekend - plenty of people wanting come with you to ride or fish all weekend, but nobody wants to chip in towards the $100 or more you will spend for gas for the truck and the 200hp outboard motor that weekend), I don't mind helping, but they cannot drive my truck, nobody else drives my truck.

I leave my receiver and ball in the hitch at all times, if you bust your shin against it you shouldn't be that close to my truck anyway (I HATE those little outboard motor propellor thingys people use to plug their receiver - a truck is not a bass boat, it just tows one).

When I park in a parking lot, I go way out and try to park with one side against the curb, hopefully in a way where another vehicle cannot reach the other side (like when the person who parks right next to you is so very careful when getting out of their car, then turns around and reaches back into their car and their butt hits the inside of their door panel and - WHAM! knocking their door against yours).

My truck might be dirty, but dirt will wash off, dents will not!

As far as all the other stuff on all the lists on all the posts on this thread - youse guys must be nuts or something!

But nobody else drives my truck!

Oh! Yeah, and I back into the driveway at home, and park in the same spot all the time. There is a worn spot on the ground where I put my foot down getting in and out of the truck...

And nobody else ever drives my truck!

Last edited by Patrick@hmsga; 05-31-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 PM
Well seeing as how my dad has owned a full service car wash / detail center since before i can remember i would have to say mine is i have to have my car so clean that my girlfriend could do her hair in it (she has tried it) and i have use the same brand of vanilla air freshner ever since i bought the car.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Whenever I rotate my tires, I have to clean the insides of my rims. Just knowing its all black inside there drives me bonkers.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Thought it was time to stand up, confess, and take my lumps also:

1) Whenever possible [and sometimes when it wasn’t], the truck has to be backed in.
2) When the wife is allowed to drive the truck, the radio station has to be back to one of mine [I hate her taste in music] and my seat has to be returned to full back [I’m 6’1” and she’s 5’4]
3) All non truck items must be removed when exiting the vehicle. With two young boys, this can be a real challenge, but they are learning. After a family outing, the younger ones car seat is removed along with the towel it sits on and stored in the garage until the next use.
4) I’ll wash all towels, applicators, brushes and other assorted vehicle cleaning items and store them in the proper plastic bin. They do not get tossed in with paltry items such as clothing or the wife’s lingerie.
5) DO NOT use my vehicle washing stuff for any other purpose: this includes washing the dog, the bikes, boat [boat has its own cleaning equipment] or the windows of the house.

This is all in addition to the normal A/R things of cleaning the tires, rims, under the bumper, waxing the trailer hitch and ball, etc, etc.

Ah, I feel better: group therapy does help.

Woof
Bowser

Old 05-31-2006, 05:52 PM
My windows all have to be down the same amount. Weird, I know.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by squared80
My windows all have to be down the same amount. Weird, I know.
Not at all. I'd say everybody has that problem. EXCEPT for the people riding in the truck who like to mess it all up.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:27 PM
clean glass. ill pull into a gas station with a full tank of gas just to clean any of the windows.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by bryanfeelsgood
I can't go anywhere unless both floormats are completely straight...

Wow, now that I write that out, it sounds really stupid... oh well, I have very well-aligned floor mats.
haha.... me too! I don't know what it is...

Old 12-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mt02230
clean glass. ill pull into a gas station with a full tank of gas just to clean any of the windows.
I am the same way. All glass clean and sparkling all the time. I can get by with a bit of dust on the paint for a day or two since my truck is smokestone color, but clean glass is a must at all times.
And if I go out in the desert, the first thing I do is clean the tires, even if I don't have time to wash the whole truck right then. Clean tires, and clean glass, a must for me!

Humm, maybe I need a shrink!

Old 12-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Here goes my list of "problems"
Seatbelt buckle pulled all the way up when I get out.
Center lap belt pulled tight, and the excess tucked between seats.
I roll down the windows to get the top edge clean.
Vents straight up and closed.
I keep a fresh dealership paper mat on the passenger side floor(I get one every few weeks)
Heat or AC must be off and fan turned all the way down when I get out.
Footprints on my runningboards.
I wash inside the exhaust tip.
Rearview mirror must be perfectly straight at all times.
I hate the water that runs out of the window seals after you've dried the truck!
I wash and dry the door jambs.
Damn chrome door handles! (I'm going to start wearing rubber gloves)
STUPID brake dust! ( I'll clean the wheels in the rain!) Someone at Ford should bitch slapped for this!
I think I feel better now! No, wait, I think I forgot to dry the water in the cowl cover!(what a dumb design)

Old 12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I cant stand mostly all the things listed but what i really hate is the other day i came out side of lowes home improvment store adn there was a flyer tucked in my windshield for some plaster man did i call hime and give him a ear ful for touching my truck

Old 12-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Mine is the windshield wipers, if they don't touch every inch they are supose to I will get out in the rain and bend or replace them until they work right, most common problem is the passenger side corner that the wiper usually misses.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
I've noticed lately that after I park in my spot in the driveway, I'll pull in and put it in neutral and open my door to listen to my engine running. Then I'll push the clutch in and out to see if there are any strange noises. After I look at my neighbor's windows to see if they're watching me, I'll rev my engine just to see how it's running. If all checks out, I put it back in first gear, turn off the ignition, and press in the parking brake. After the parking brake is fully depressed, I'll make sure there's no drive-line pressure on my transmission by depressing the clutch. Then I check to make sure the Heater/AC control is turned off, all windows are up, floor mats are straight, and my seat belt is neatly retracted. After all of that, I look to see if my neighbors are watching me again. Then I get out and make sure all the windows are up, doors are locked, double-check my parking brake, make sure my sirius satellite radio is turned off, then shut my door using the inside arm rest. Then I look through my tinted window to make sure I didn't leave the dome light on, then I stick my hand under my ventvisor to make sure the window is up, double check to see if I locked the doors, and pick all the gravels out of my new tires. I look at my neighbor's windows one last time to see if they're watching me, and I see someone jump away from the window as the curtains move. As I'm walking towards the garage to go in the house, I stare at my truck the whole way, whistling like I did something wrong.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
Mine is the windshield wipers, if they don't touch every inch they are supose to I will get out in the rain and bend or replace them until they work right, most common problem is the passenger side corner that the wiper usually misses.
Yep mine does that too and I cant stand it... I also cant stand when I spend hours and hours washing/waxing my truck durning a nice sunny day, and go out and drive only to have a big wet spot in the road that i HAVE to hit...

Quick Reply: What's Your Most Anal-Retentive Automotive Quirk?