What's Your Most Anal-Retentive Automotive Quirk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by built54
Yep mine does that too and I cant stand it... I also cant stand when I spend hours and hours washing/waxing my truck durning a nice sunny day, and go out and drive only to have a big wet spot in the road that i HAVE to hit...
Haha..I'll stop in the road and go through it slowly.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Seatbelts

It drives me nuts when my wife gets out of the passenger side of my truck and leaves the seat belt hanging down!

My seatbelts must be fully retracted when I exit the vehicle.

The seatbelt retractors do not work as well as they did new.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I like to try to (key word "try") keep the underneath and motor bay as clean and spot free as the rest of the truck.

Here's an example of my old non-garaged three year old (2003) truck, picture taken from underneath the motor bay:

Yup, try to avoid driving it in the rain or dirty conditions

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I have many - so be patient!
1. Finger prints on the side of the door
2. Smudges on the paint, anywhere. Ive used a creeper and rolled under with a towel and wiped the undercarriage before
3. Wont let anyone near it with a cigarette
4. No feet on the dash
5. No fingers on the windows
6. Fanatical oil changer. 1st change was 500 miles, second one comin at 2500, oh and I just bought some RP gear oil for the rear end
7. And Ive been known to dust the dash while sitting at a stoplight.
8. Slamming the doors. I love my Grandmother to death, but she thinks all vehicles are like the ones from the 40s and you have to heave to close the doors. I swear one day she will turn one of my vehicles over closing the door, which is partly why I will get out and open and close the door for all female passengers, so they dont slam them. They guys I tell them not to slam them.

All of those are pretty much = in my eyes, so I have 7 number 1's!

Last edited by JasonFX4; 12-12-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
My girlfriend just said we are all tools and need help.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by 93xlt2wd
when my girlfriend "slams" my truck door shut... now when i say slam, any harder then it takes me to shut the door...

and people playing with the radio
My girl finally got into the habit of gently shutting her door. She yelled at me one day cause she was like 'I'M NOT SLAMMING IT!!!' I told her to close the door like she closes the driver's side door on her Volvo. Once she realized the difference she's understood ever since.

Originally Posted by ght
After detailing the truck, I open the hood and start armoral all the vinal under the hood including the battery and all hoses...my neighbors think I am nuts... but when I go under the hood to check the oil... I can do it in a white long sleeve shirt.
I have a roll of shop towels just for checking oil. I've had problems with regular paper towels leaving big clumps of paper towel on the dip stick.

Originally Posted by RockPick
I actually had a neighbor stop by my house this evening when I was using my leaf blower (gasoline powered) to dry my truck. Mind you, I've never met this guy.

He was amazed at the level of detail that I went through to make my truck look the way it was looking.... after about 10 minutes of talking with the guy, I landed another client. I tried to get it this weekend (as my next-door neighbor's Saturn isn't going to happen) but, he's out of town. Oh well...

Being ultra-**** can help sometimes... LOL! Other times it's a total hindrance.

RP
My neighbor came over and asked me one day if using his leaf blower will get the water out of the crevices on his Five Series. Since I was about to wax my truck, I showed him the wonders.

Originally Posted by JasonFX4
Word. Mine said the same.

Now onto my list.

1. Dirty wheel wells.
2. Shoulder pads, I have them for a reason, use them.
3. No food in the truck. Cup holders have 3M lining in them out of a RVs. All you need is a MF towel to clean out the cup holders.
4. Gonna put your feet on my seats? Take your shoes off first.
5. You bring it into my truck, unless it's a purse or a back pack, you take it with you.
6. I don't mind trash in my bed, don't lift up my bed cover, it's a bitch to keep square. The tail gate is open.
7. I swear to god if I get another redneck asking me to raise my truck, I'll stab face.
8. All crevices on the truck get tooth picked.
9. Pillars have 3M clear bra on them and door handles are there for a reason. Shut my door with hands on the paint, I spit in your soda.
10. Lean on my truck, get arrested.
11. Lean into my truck with a belt on, walk home. (I've done this a few times.)
12. Climb on my tail gate, cool, climb on my tires, dead.
13. Black plastic trim is shiny black 24/7.
14. When I detail my interior, warm water on a towel is used on the cloth seats. Will get rid of any stain, not any of that interior cleaner BS.
15. I have a small storage area behind my seats. Enough room for my back pack, another back pack with a change clothes, and a CD book. That's it.
16. Put change in my center console, you die.
17. Glove Compartment contains CD cases, V1 case, and a small bottle of quick cleaner. Nothing else.
18. Center console contains hand lotion, sunglass case, and my bluetooth/phone chargers. Nothing else.
19. Driver's side sun visor has my proof of insurance and proof of ownership.
20. Touch the passenger's side sun visor, die.
21. Only adjust the vents if you're going to ride in my truck. If not, don't touch. All four vents point to me.
22. Pull out my ash tray, complain that I have change in it, you get pushed out of the truck. Your fault if it's moving.
23. The V1 is behind the mirror for a reason, I have the display unit on my steering column. Don't touch it.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by JasonFX4
Yes, I know I belong in the Sears "Tool Territory" it is like my second home.

- Chris

Old 12-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I can get pretty irritated about alot of the things you guys already said when im in my truck, but my worst is when im riding w/ someone else. . if they drive like chit, mess w/ the radio, freeze me out, on top of that im w/ someone else in their car and i cant stand not being the driver or being somewhere and not having my truck. .

Totally off subject, I know so excuse me. . .

Old 12-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, reading this actually makes me feel much better. I guess I'm not the only one that has certain dumb little things that **** me off...

Ok, I have several, but here are the top few:
1. My rear view mirror MUST be perfectly aligned with the top of my tail gate. If my wife moves it or my son hits it on accident, it can literally take me a week to get it just perfect again.

2. If my wife uses my truck, she is not allowed to move the seat at all. I used to not let her adjust the mirrors (inside or outside), but I've since let up a little for safety reasons (safety of my truck, that is).

3. Squeaks & rattles. Can't stand them! My truck needs to be perfectly silentof any and all squeaks/rattles. I will spend endless hours tracking down and fixing any unbelonging noises. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many rolls of foam tape I've gone through, or how many times I've had my truck apart looking for the culprit.

Ok, I feel really stupid now. I'll stop.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
first off.. GOOOOD TOPIC... ur a genious who started this.

and my things are..

- my gas cap has to have the BP prefffered thing up-right
- when i park, and i cant take two spots, i have to have even amount on each side of the white lines
- when i wash/dry/wax, it MUST be perfect, no lines, drips, spots, NUTHING.
- ciggarretter lighter must be up-right
- rearview mirror must be lined up perfect.
- since i have manual mirrors, it takes a full week to get them back in place when some one plays iwht it, folds them in, bumps into them, or if i go through a car wash.
- rubber floors have to be black like they were when i bought the truck.
- center consol is allways down, wiht no trash, coins, NOTHIGN in the cup holders.
- no and i mean no finger prints, marks, anything on my windows and mainyl my winsheild. must be clear and clean.
- NO FRICKIN SPIDERS IN IT!!!! almost go tin two wrecks tryin to find and kill the spider i saw run across my winsheild at night!.. dam those bastards! KILL EM!! KILL EM ALL!!!
- kC light covers must be allgned perfect.
- air vents on passenger side are closed and in up/down postion.
- DO NOT TOUCH MY RADIO, AIR, OR SEATS.. U DO AND U GET A FREE RIDE ON THE ROOF ALL THE WAY HOME! and thats only on the first offense!
- i think ill stop here.. b4 i get tooo crazy..

Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 PM
My passenger air vents must be straight and closed, the green digital volume on screen MUST always be at half notch. My cursed black carpet must be spotless...i was almost late to my best friends wedding because i had to stop and vacuum the carpet...coins must be in the designated coin slots in the middle console, not in the cupholders (hi-five to ford for actually putting a penny slot in there..I mean, where the hell else was I supposed to put them?)...and finally I have to keep the area on the inside metal parts of the door clean...you know, the ones you only see when you open the doors...phew.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I don't like my windows half way down, they gotta be all the way up or down!!!! And of course clean everywhere. Also agree about those dang spiders, one dropped from the headliner down to the center consol. I bet the thing went 50lbs. & my girlfriend was tryin' to throw it on me at 60mph mind you!!! glad there were no cops around cause I was drivin' like Ernie Ervin for a good half mile!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Well another to add... The girlfriend decides to put her feet on the center carpet... after I spend all day cleaning my truck, getting dirt and sometimes MUD on it :| Oh my... Oh and dropping fries in between the seats, im the only one I allow to eat in my truck, and my gf... And im not the one that drops the fries...

Old 12-18-2006, 11:54 PM
when you have your truck running.. windows up and go into a convient store.. then halfway through paying... your realised you shut your doors....

and you have shaved door handles..... i r a dummy! good thing i installed a powerless backup. phew

Old 12-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I must say I noticed this thread shortly after I joined, but I never took the time to read it. Whew! I feel much better about my quirks and pet peeves, I feel more sane that there are at least 100 more of you as crazy as me.

1. Floormats must be straight at all times with the foot rest under the e-brake
2. After washing the windows must be so clean you can't see them(no streaks)
3. The wheel wells must be clean, nothing looks better than shiny paint in a wheel well
4. No tire shine, the overspray drives me nuts
5. Do not touch my radio
6. Ask permission to change AC settings
7. No trash at all in my truck, or I will return it to the owner
8. Feet DO NOT touch the carpet, that's what my rubber mats are for
9. So what if I hit the beach 3-4X a week, sand only touches floormats and is removed from said mats same day
10. Windows must be fully up or down
11. Windows are not to be touched for 24 hours after washing
12. Do not touch the lumbar or height of the seat(mom), i have back problems it's not nice
13. I have to deem spaces safe to park in(sometimes I'll actually take down the info of the cars next to me if they look scary), in a college with more students than spaces this is difficult(sometimes I cruise the lots for an hour looking for a space) and once parked in said spot, I must park straight and center. I also move the truck periodically to keep all sun damage equal on all places when I can't use the cover due to wind
14. All AC vents must have flush edges with the dash
15. DO NOT touch my windows under any circumstances
16. Shoulder belts on the side must be fully retracted and straight, and the lap belts must be buckled with half the belt slack neatly tucked in the seat
17. When washing the truck no half-assing, all the chrome and wheels must look like a glass mirror including the K&N tube under the hood

That's all I can think of at the moment, but maybe I'm not as sane as I think I am , all these pet peeves and I'm only 18 I'm scared to think about me as a senile old man in 50 years.

P.S. Does anyone else name their truck? Mines name is Frank and after any close calls in Little Saigon, I always reassure him that everything is ok.

Edit: Why isn't this thread a sticky, it should be.

Quick Reply: What's Your Most Anal-Retentive Automotive Quirk?