What's Your Most Anal-Retentive Automotive Quirk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As picky as I am, I don't know how I'll ever raise kids! Hopefully, I've got some time to think about it

Old 06-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I have a few.......
-All 4 vents must be angled down and toward the seat at about a 45 degree angle or I will fix them!
-Engine bay is cleaned along with the exterior every time
-Key fob must be toward me so my toolbox key doesn't jab me in the leg
-If 4 windows are down.....they are all lined up evenly
-And my most **** thing ever!! DO NOT lean/sit against my paint for ANY reason. It is paint! If you want to sit on something, get a shuckydurn chair!
-If the hood is up, that is not an ivitation to rest on the fenders with your greasy arms and belt buckles that scratch, it also inflicts against the above rule!

Ok I'm done.

*edited for language*

Last edited by Rockpick; 06-12-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Go the distance

Wherever I go, I park my truck the farthest distance from humans and their vehicles. My husband becomes infuriated when he has to walk a mile to the Wal-Mart door. Hmmm…maybe this is the real reason for this action. Maybe it is not so ****-retentive

Last edited by Chrishulgan; 06-14-2005 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added sig
Old 06-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Here are my OCD issues:

Never put your feet on the dash or even near it!

I gotta take two parking spaces all the time and park diagonally!

I wash the engine bay and remove all grease and grime with simple orange.

I clean in and under my door jambs.

I clean and armor all my wheel wells and inside my mud flaps.

Shut the door by the handle.

Don't lean on my ride!

Don't touch the windows!

No eating or drinking allowed...

Vacuum floor regularly as well as was floor mats.

Kicking the dash is the thing that gets me the most...

Jeeze, under a dozen quirkes... Not bad for a guy who has a Masters Degree in Counseling...

Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT USE THE ASHTRAY IN THE DASH. Ford put that there for decorative reasons only. All climate control ***** must point to 12 o'clock. Do not recline my seat!! I have it the way I want it. Whenever you get out on the passenger side and tilt the seat fwd. you MUST retract the armrest. I do not want it hitting the seatbelt anchor. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS!!!! When you open the door, do not use your dirty shoes to "help" the door open. It will open just fine without your shoes hitting it. The storage area in the door panels, is not an actual storage area for your trash(wife)!!!!! Rearview mirror. Cardinal sin! Need I say more? Kids kicking the backs of my seats. I made red covers that velcro to the back of the seats now. Example: I came back from being deployed for a month. First thing I always do is inspect the truck. Opened the door looked at the center console, and what did I find..... A little nike print!! AAAAHHHGHGGGGGGGG!! Also another deployment horror story. Last year we were deployed during a hurricane. Bless the wife she put my truck in the garage. But when she backed it out...... Yeah scratched the fender! It's mine leave it be!!!!! NUFF SAID!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrishulgan
Wherever I go, I park my truck the farthest distance from humans and their vehicles.

Chrishulgan, will you marry me?

Old 06-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Can't believe I'm going to fess up to these little 'quirks':

- The engine compartment MUST be just as clean and detailed as the rest of the truck.
- Carwash places will NEVER get the privilege of washing my truck!!
- All leaners will be shot on sight, period.
- The windows will not be rolled down after washing for at least a day (streaks).
- Don't even think of getting within 50 yards of my truck with that cigarette!!!
- I too must have the wax/polish/cleaner bottles shined after use.
- I buy wax applicator pads in bulk. The guys at auto zone whisper and point when I walk in, I guess I'm their best customer.
- The interior of the wheels must be just as clean as the outside. It adds that extra touch.
- Wheel wells must look better than factory new.
- I drove through a bank parking lot one time and their lawn sprinklers 'spritzed' my truck. Yep, I went in and complained.
- I'm debating about having the K&N tube re-chromed. It doesn't shine quite right.

- This one is the worst, I actually hold a yardstick up to the truck hood to see the 36 inch mark in the reflection. If not completely clearly visible then my five step cleaning/clay/polish/wax/seal process needs to be done over.

Russ (I need seek professional help)

Old 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Ok, here goes...with both my truck and my mustang:
  1. All seats are taken out of the vehicle on EVERY detailing session, undersides/ seat tracks are cleaned, polished, and relubed.
  2. All License plates are removed prior to wash/ clay/ clean/ polish/ wax job
  3. Antenna on truck is removed and polished
  4. Antenna on mustang is removed and waxed
  5. License plates are waxed...bolt heads must also be waxed and reinstalled with the slots facing up and down
  6. All wheels are removed and thoroughly cleaned and waxed
  7. My truck doesn't have a headliner...just painted steel...so it is waxed too
  8. Tailpipes AND mufflers are cleaned and polished the whole way to the mid-pipe
  9. Rubber valve stems are armor-alled
  10. I have been known to remove interior panels just to armor all the insides
  11. Entire vehicle, inside and out, is q-tipped
  12. Last but not least, I armor-all my entire bedliner every time I wash

And for just general quirks:
  1. The tire rubber from the Mustang that I burn off at the strip and collects on the fenders is collected and balled...i have a softball size wad right now, lol. Maybe I can get enough to have BFG make me a new tire
  2. Floormats must be perfectly straight, and exactly 3 inches from the door sill
  3. All vents are closed and pointing straight ahead when not in use
  4. Heater controls line up
  5. When I set the cruise, it must be at a multiple of 5 or I won't use it
  6. O/D is ALWAYS off if I am going less than 50MPH
  7. I don't gut the seats from the mustang for drag racing, I install them for a passenger...more than one person? You're driving then.
  8. Under no circumstances is the sunvisor a mail slot
  9. If my fiance is driving the truck, and she gets gas, she MUST fill it up, both tanks, 3 auto-shutoffs of the pump, and reset the trip odometer. As well as write the mileage at fill up on the reciept and place it in my owner's manual folder. I do this, so must she.

Am I nuts enough yet?

Old 06-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Go the distance

Dear ddellwo,

Your offer is very kind and considerate indeed. However, I am already married…to the truck lol

Old 06-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrishulgan
Your offer is very kind and considerate indeed. However, I am already married…to the truck lol

Alas.....

Old 06-16-2005, 01:22 PM
SM
I will not let tire shop monkeys touch my vehicles unless it is an emergency. For a routine purchase of, say, four new tires, I put the vehicle on jack stands, remove tires/wheels, take them to the tire shop in my beater Ranger to have the new tires mounted and balanced, bring them home, and install them on the vehicle myself.

No touching windows.

Feet on the floor mats at all times.

No eating in the truck. I occasionally allow drinks, but with appropriate threats..."the first drink you spill will be the last, since you will never have another drink in the truck"

I sweep the floor mats off several times a week. I find that this minimizes the amount of actual vacuuming I have to do.

No driving a freshly washed vehicle on rainy days (or even if there is a good chance of rain.) Fortunately my wife and I have a third vehicle (the beater Ranger). A freshly washed vehicle at my house can spend a week or more parked in the garage during rainy weather.

SM

Old 06-16-2005, 01:24 PM
jcc
both the front seats have to be in the same postion i hate it when one is further back than the other

Old 03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Thought I'd re-vitalize this thread for some of the newer members.... It's kinda fun to see that you're not the only one gets pissed at someone slamming your doors (according to my wife, I am the only one)...or anything else.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Great thread,just finished reading it all and I can say that some of you definitely have some issues. I would also say that if I had to buy a used truck you are the guys and gals I would want to buy from.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I have one. I can't drive with Rattles. If I hear one, I pull over and try to locate it and fix it on the side of the road! I can't stand rattles

I always carry foam in the glove box just in case!

Quick Reply: What's Your Most Anal-Retentive Automotive Quirk?