Driving in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lees99f150
yeah, the interstates are busy. 195 goes from killeen to I35 above Round rock. i guess it was the locals driving on the shoulder.
195... I've gotten a ticket on the SOB before... Also almost got killed on that SOB before.

But yes, most people (locals) if they see you coming, will move along the shoulder and let faster traffic pass them. You get the "out of towners" travelign that way- who don't know the courtesies of that road, and they'll stay in the lane- and you just have to pass when you get a chance. Sometimes, 195 is so busy, that when the opportunity to pass does come, you'd better have a vehicle that can go from 60 - 80 in a few seconds, and get on around that log truck, before you're meeting oncoming traffic.

Log truck... That's what got me a ticket (trying to pass one) but, it wasn't from speeding, it was for passing in a no passing zone... The dotten line turned solid while I was out there- then I saw traffic coming so I eased back over- just in time for a DPS trooper to see I had been in the other lane. He popped a U-turn, threw on the overheads, and lit me up.

$125, 6 hours of Driver-Safety courses, and 10 years later, I'm still pissed. He wrote me up for "Driving on the wrong side of the road" instead of "Passing in a no-passing zone".

Old 06-27-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dallas traffic isn't that bad. What do you expect? The life is fast paced, therefore the only way to slow things down is through traffic. Kind of equals things out in a way.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Dallas traffic isn't that bad. What do you expect? The life is fast paced, therefore the only way to slow things down is through traffic. Kind of equals things out in a way.

It's bad, in some ways- but, this was mainly a joke- something I found on the internet..

I have certainly seen worse traffic in my days on the road. They are ranked top to bottom:

1.) Bay Area, CA: Ever sit in bumper to bumper trafic from Sacramento, CA to Oakland, CA? I have... (Matter of fact, make this number 1, and Move LA down to #2.) At 80 MPH, you hardly notice all the towns between Sac & Oak/SF. But, at 5 MPH, you know them all...

2.) Los Angeles, CA (On the 1_10 to I-5 interchange, heading up to 101 and on out to Port Hueneme (sp); definitely the worse I've ever seen, especially considering the fact that the roads were 4-5, maybe even 6 lanes wide in each direction...

3.) New York, NY If traffic is this bad on the fraking holidays, I don't want to even see what it's like Mon - Fri, during "rush hour".

4.) Seoul, Korea. Imagien being in a city of 12-million people, 11 million of whom have only been drivign 10 years or so... Have you ever been anywhere in the world, where 3 lanes of traffic, sits 6-cars wide? I have. I know it's not PC to say Asian's drive poorly; but- I've seen it first hand. After driving super-wide Hummers in super tight Korea, on overly crowded MSR's in and around Seoul for one year... Very little can surprise me on the road anymore. Right turns from the far left lane, left turns from the far right. Car not moving for emergency vehicles- you name it...

5.) Houston, TX: Not that the congestion was that bad, but the 610 loop has to be one of the most dangerous roads I've been on; rivaled very closely by Dallas's own 635/LBJ Freeway.

6.) Dallas, TX: Even though the post that started this was a joke, a lot of it is true. This is the only place I've been- where you have to be as acutely aware of what's behind you, as you are of what's in front of you. Making a left turn, in rush hour, could get your butt knocked clean off... SIGNAL EARLY!!! In no other city have I seen as many mirrors ripped off cars & trucks (comes from making what was a 2-lane road into 3 lanes, without widening the road any!) and bashed in rear bumpers. Cellphones + Suburbans/Tahoes/Expeditions/Caravans = Bad combination)

Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
i got a ticket in the stang on 195. i was passing a long line of cars, once past them all i pulled in front and started slowing down when a DPS camero crested the hill and pulled over. after a brief discussion with by buddies in the car we slow down and was pulled over. i was very nearly arrested but just ended up with a speeding ticket. 106 in a 60. good job i still had a PA license, all it was, was a $250 fine.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
i got a ticket in the stang on 195. i was passing a long line of cars, once past them all i pulled in front and started slowing down when a DPS camero crested the hill and pulled over. after a brief discussion with by buddies in the car we slow down and was pulled over. i was very nearly arrested but just ended up with a speeding ticket. 106 in a 60. good job i still had a PA license, all it was, was a $250 fine.

DPS Camaro
Buddies
Your Mustang (Going by the picture)
Pennsylvania license.

When were you at Fort Hood, and what unit were you in?

I was in Delta 57th SIG BN, 3rd SIG BDE, from April 1992 - Sept 1994
Went on a 12-month stint in exotic South Korea, Delta 122nd SIG BN, Camp Hovey, then Camp Red Cloud, Korea. Oct 1994 - Oct 1995.
Then in Delta 16th SIG DN, 3rd SIG BDE, from Oct. 1995 - November 1996.

I was in the barracks buildings across from Abrams gym, near the III Corps track. There were 60,000 solderis there when I left, so I doubt we knew each other- or even met. But, if you played football, we probably played (and beat) you guys at some point in 1992 or 1993, I left before the season started in 1994, coached in Korea in 1995, and was outprocessing/ETSing as the season began in 1996.

Last edited by Bighersh; 06-27-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:50 PM
i got there in 97. i was in 2/5 cav, across from the sports dome on FT Hood road.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
I'd agree with 1 & 2...but when I was in NYC for thanksgiving 04 the traffic didnt seem nearly as bad as the random late June traffic of California. Our bus always moved along at a nice speed, no massive stop & go sessions that I can remember.
We were coming into New York from Jersey, and had to cross the Verrazano Bridge... Depending on where we were going, and what day, it could take 45 minutes to an hours, just to get through the toll booth, to the base of the Verrazano bridge... It was bad in places, but- when it got bad- it was really bad.

If something was coming, and people had to get out of New York in under 24 hours, they might as well cancel Christmas.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Here is my commute during morning rush hour... 55 miles takes all of 45 minutes, dam traffic...

Quick Reply: Driving in Dallas