Ford to ditch gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006 | 03:38 AM
From: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by Kool Aid
That's nothing new........it's been around for years.

Perma-Cap

Yep old news.... how about a 350 HP truck....

Old 08-11-2006 | 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by 01 XLT Sport
It won’t be cheaper then a plastic cap and I agree that Ford should first concentrate on a design and quality of the vehicle. Quality and design is what sells vehicles not some money making fuel entry gismo…

over the life of the vehicle it will be more costly.

With emissions inspections, many people have to buy additional gas caps. And those cost way more than $1 from the dealer

Old 08-11-2006 | 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I don't see why not. It removes a step that to some people, in certain conditions would be a blessing. It makes owning and using the vehicles EASIER, and although it may be hard to say from those pictures alone, it looks like it may remove the possibility of user error from forgetting to put the cap on, not tightening it securely, or breaking the cap off from the safety plastic chord that holds it on...making it a big hassle.

So, all in all, it has POTENTIAL to make owning and operating the vehicles EASIER on the user..with less to break.

Pretty sure that makes sense to me?

And for the record, I'm not saying this is a big friggin' deal, it's not like I am claiming this is the new sliced bread that will save Ford from certain death...I'm just saying I don't see how someone could find a negative about an IMPROVEMENT.
I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point. I just feel that if Ford is going to put forth the money and effort to design something then do something to improve the vehicle as a whole. Design more comfortable seats for example, you spend more time sitting in a vehicle then fuelling it. Better yet design a spark plug that doesn't break off when you try to remove it. Those of us with the "new" 5.4 are familiar with this issue.

Old 08-11-2006 | 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point. I just feel that if Ford is going to put forth the money and effort to design something then do something to improve the vehicle as a whole. Design more comfortable seats for example, you spend more time sitting in a vehicle then fuelling it. Better yet design a spark plug that doesn't break off when you try to remove it. Those of us with the "new" 5.4 are familiar with this issue.

is that a complaint TBird?

According to you, we are not allowed to complain about our trucks....

Old 08-11-2006 | 04:19 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Agree...sort of.

What everyone keeps missing is the fact that there is no opporunity cost involved here by developing this gas cap...it's not like Ford can't change the gas cap AND make the other changes people want. Everyone keeps saying that they would "rather," who said they can't do both?

I assure you a company as large as FoMoCo could develop this gas cap AND make other changes if they wanted to.

Old 08-11-2006 | 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Agree...sort of.

What everyone keeps missing is the fact that there is no opporunity cost involved here by developing this gas cap...it's not like Ford can't change the gas cap AND make the other changes people want. Everyone keeps saying that they would "rather," who said they can't do both?

I assure you a company as large as FoMoCo could develop this gas cap AND make other changes if they wanted to.

I think part of it is that the PR machine is all over it. Making it appear that Ford is putting a lot of stock in it (which they probably are not)

So it could just be the anti-Detroit press again... playing down the real achievements and overplaying the small stuff like the gas caps.

Ford has a lot of wins in the news area, but the press isnt reporting it.

Old 08-11-2006 | 05:25 PM
I’d be impressed if Ford would come out with some cloth upholstery that didn’t stain with just a drop of water EVEN WHEN THE CLOTH UPHOLSTERY IS CLEAN…

When that happens I will be impressed, don’t take much to impress me. However I am VERY IMPRESSED with the new Mustangs as I absolutely LOVE my 06 GT with the leather seats…

Old 08-11-2006 | 08:37 PM
QUOTE=01 XLT Sport]I’d be impressed if Ford would come out with some cloth upholstery that didn’t stain with just a drop of water EVEN WHEN THE CLOTH UPHOLSTERY IS CLEAN…

When that happens I will be impressed, don’t take much to impress me. However I am VERY IMPRESSED with the new Mustangs as I absolutely LOVE my 06 GT with the leather seats… [/QUOTE]

Ever heard of Guardian? My parents have been getting their new furniture, carpet and car interiors done for some time now. When I bought my house a little over a year ago I had my carpets done too.

This stuff is miracle like.

Old 08-11-2006 | 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by J-150
is that a complaint TBird?

According to you, we are not allowed to complain about our trucks....

Where the spark plugs are concerned, yeah, I have a problem with the lousy design.

As for you or anybody else not being allowed to complain, I never said that. I said there are those of us that do complain but we also have good things to say as well. When somebody does nothing but complain for days and weeks on end it gets very annoying and tedious. Especially when it brings down an otherwise solid thread.

Quick Reply: Ford to ditch gas cap?