Ford to ditch gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006 | 03:55 PM
|
Ford to ditch gas cap?

Sorry if this has been posted before.....check it out.

What you guys think?

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadge...008-193132.php

Old 08-10-2006 | 04:05 PM
Aww, it is nice to see Ford is finally thinking of the needs of the consumers.

Amen!

Old 08-10-2006 | 04:14 PM
hopefully it has some sort of anti theft capability

Old 08-10-2006 | 04:29 PM
It says it will be one the 2008 Ford Gt...there won't be an '07 GT, much less an '08...

Old 08-10-2006 | 04:35 PM
that stupid cap that you have to unscrew will be no more. No more forgetting to screw it back in.
Anybody here ever actually done that? If you forget to screw it back in, you also forgot to close the fuel door... which is the only thing I see left to protect your vehicle from getting contaminates down the filler neck.

That ranks right up there with people that drive away from a gas station with the nozzle still stuck in the tank.

Old 08-10-2006 | 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
Anybody here ever actually done that? If you forget to screw it back in, you also forgot to close the fuel door...
I have seen people have an absent minded moment where they put the nozzle back on the pump, then close the fuel door, pay and leave. As for ditching the cap, I think Ford could put that effort and more into improving other aspects of their vehicles.

Old 08-10-2006 | 05:49 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I have seen people have an absent minded moment where they put the nozzle back on the pump, then close the fuel door, pay and leave. As for ditching the cap, I think Ford could put that effort and more into improving other aspects of their vehicles.
Talk about optimism!

All the little things add up to equal a better, more innovative vehicle. Of course they need to make improvements elsewhere, but why the heck complain about something that will make things easier for people, and cut production costs making vehicles easier to operate and less expensive?

Old 08-10-2006 | 06:47 PM
and cut production costs making vehicles easier to operate and less expensive?
They still have something that physically blocks liquid and solid contaminates from entering the fuel tank.

I highly doubt that whatever this new gizmo is, is cheaper than the $1 gas cap currently in use.

The GT and the new Lincoln were to get it. Something about that tells me that it ain't cheap.

Old 08-10-2006 | 07:33 PM
I guess the BP gas cap thing really struck a chord.

Old 08-10-2006 | 07:39 PM
Moderator &
To general...

Old 08-10-2006 | 08:05 PM
It won’t be cheaper then a plastic cap and I agree that Ford should first concentrate on a design and quality of the vehicle. Quality and design is what sells vehicles not some money making fuel entry gismo…

Old 08-10-2006 | 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Talk about optimism!

All the little things add up to equal a better, more innovative vehicle. Of course they need to make improvements elsewhere, but why the heck complain about something that will make things easier for people, and cut production costs making vehicles easier to operate and less expensive?

I doubt your going to find many people that would consider ditching the gas cap as an innovative step forward towards improving the quality of the vehicle.

Old 08-11-2006 | 12:18 AM
It looks like chipping the paint around the filler is inevitable to even the most careful of owners.

Old 08-11-2006 | 12:45 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I doubt your going to find many people that would consider ditching the gas cap as an innovative step forward towards improving the quality of the vehicle.
I don't see why not. It removes a step that to some people, in certain conditions would be a blessing. It makes owning and using the vehicles EASIER, and although it may be hard to say from those pictures alone, it looks like it may remove the possibility of user error from forgetting to put the cap on, not tightening it securely, or breaking the cap off from the safety plastic chord that holds it on...making it a big hassle.

So, all in all, it has POTENTIAL to make owning and operating the vehicles EASIER on the user..with less to break.

Pretty sure that makes sense to me?

And for the record, I'm not saying this is a big friggin' deal, it's not like I am claiming this is the new sliced bread that will save Ford from certain death...I'm just saying I don't see how someone could find a negative about an IMPROVEMENT.

Old 08-11-2006 | 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Stragum
Sorry if this has been posted before.....check it out.

What you guys think?

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadge...008-193132.php
That's nothing new........it's been around for years.

Perma-Cap

Don't Smell Like Gas Or Leave Your Gas Cap Behind
We know what a hassle it is to pump gas! You'll never have to remove your gas cap again! Forget about wearing the smell of gas on your hands the rest of the day or leaving your cap behind. Perma-Caps special mechanism allows the gas pump nozzle to be inserted without cap removal. Seals immediately when nozzle is removed. Reduces the amount of secondary vapors and complies with all environmental regulatory requirements. Not affected by weather or solvents. Lifetime warranty! Fits most vehicles with screw in gas caps.
Special - 2 For $19.00

Quick Reply: Ford to ditch gas cap?