New Scam on E-Bay and dam it's a good one.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006 | 12:41 AM
|
New Scam on E-Bay and dam it's a good one.....

We all know there are hundreds and hundreds of scams each and every day on
E-bay. **** I think the eBay Safe Harbor Investigations Team know me by name,
(I send them at least 8-10 E-Bay Scam E-Mails a week I recieve).
It seems the more you do business on e-bay the more scams they try on you

AND THIS ONE WAS GOOD.....

As I mentioned to some of you I missed out on a Gen 1 the other night on E-Bay I was after. I played the game and watched the last 10 minutes go buy and each and everytime I put a higher bid in someone else did too (ya we all know 1/2 the time it's the seller), but either way I went to the highest price I was willing to go and lost it in the last few seconds. Now here's where it gets weird. For some "real strang reason" I had it in my mind that I was going to be contacted by the seller and giving the oppurtunity to buy it anyway, (maybe because I felt I was bidding against the seller), and sure enough I was contacted and giving the chance.

I give you Article 1

Sent : Friday, September 8, 2006 10:34 PM
To : rob3832@hotmail.com
Subject : eBay Second Chance Offer for Item # 280024952039

I'm the owner of the item that you've recently bided on eBay through
the eBay system,
Item title :1993 Ford : F-150 Lightning
Item number: 280024952039
This is the link with my auction on which you have bided US $3,701.00 through the eBay system: http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws...em=280024952039
If you are still interested in this item and want to buy it at the last bid price that you've made on my auction please reply to this email.
The transaction will be made only through eBay so we will be both protected by the eBay Safe Harbor Team. I trully appologise for this inconvenience and sorry for disturbing you.

Thank`s for your understanding and co-operation !
---------------

Ok at this point I truly believed it was on the up and up
I wont bore you with my e-mails back to him but I wrote back and said,
yes I might me interested but only if it was done through the e-bay system.

I give you article 2

Sent : Saturday, September 9, 2006 12:55 PM
To : Robert Caruso <rob3832@hotmail.com>
Subject : RE: eBay Second Chance Offer for Item # 280024952039

Hi,
You have the opportunity to purchase this item at your last bid price.The ex winner had some problems and couldn't handle the situation (he told me something about his daughter being sick), so following eBay's suggestion, I've contacted you this way.The deal will go strictly according to eBay's rules and policy regarding to this second chance offer to start the official transaction .I need to confirm me your eBay User ID, as soon as I have them I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines + instructions from them (please go through them exactly). I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you + I am willing to deduct you with the fee for handling the payment procedure.Also, a refund policy will be included.
Looking forward to hear from you .
Regards...
-------------------

OK here I already knew something was wrong, mainly because he didnt answer ANY of my questions, and mostly because he was willing to pay the shipping from Ohio (thats about 50% of the value of this vehicle)

Here I will bore you with my e-mail to show you what I mean

Hi Mr Hall

Yes I would still be interested in the 93 Lightning, just a few questions if
I may.
I understand the truck has a lot of miles on it and I see the paint needs
some help, but my main concern is the Motor, Trans, Rear, and Suspension.

Does it still idle smooth ?
Any trouble with the Trans ?
The Front end ?
The Suspension ?
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, any Motor or Trans or Rear Leaks ?
After that my biggest issue is how to get it to LI NY from Ohio, I will have to check
into the Shipping after I hear back from you but yes I am interested in buying the vehicle

Thanks

Rob Caruso

(as you can see by his above reply NONE of the questions were answered and he offered to pay the shipping) BIG FLAG WENT UP THERE

Old 09-10-2006 | 12:44 AM
|
At this point I knew I was being scamed and tried many times to contact THE REAL OWNER (or seller) through the original E-Bay add but since the Auction ended E-Bay WILL NOT allow you to e-mail the seller through their system, and your only hope is they have a personal e-mail in the ad, (he DID NOT).
I sent E-Bay all the mail and asked them to AT LEAST tell me if the E-Bay Seller was connected to this non e-bay e-mail address, BUT THEY WOULD NOT.

So I played a little more and simply gave him my e-bay name Rob3832

I give you article 3

Sent : Saturday, September 9, 2006 3:14 PM
To : Robert Caruso <rob3832@hotmail.com>
Subject : RE: eBay Second Chance Offer for Item # 280024952039

Hello,
Ok... I got the info i will forward it to ebay to start the transaction as soon as possible .Please read eBay instruction veary good.
Please email me as soon as you will get the confimation for the transaction .
Thank's in advance !

(a part of me still wanted to believe, but the next e-mail made me outright laugh)
How ANYONE could buy this is beyond me.....

I give you article 4 Word Doc

And of course what we all know by now....
(I'll shorten it just to let you see the important parts)

----- Original Message -----
To: "Rob" <rob3832@hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 09, 2006 7:16 PM
Subject: RE: SP91011 - Your recent report to eBay's Trust and Safety Department (KMM39388671V43775L0KM)

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email
to the appropriate authorities.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

----------

Oh well no Gen I
But no lose of funds either

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE

Old 09-10-2006 | 12:53 AM
you can contact the seller from his feedback page. just click contact member.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...:feedback:1:us

The other thing going on alot lately is the fake second chance offers. I bid on an item that I knew was sold and have gotten 6 second chance offers to buy it from 6 different people other then the original seller. I doubt ebay can do anythign about it though.

Old 09-10-2006 | 04:06 AM
OMG that stuff in the word doc is totally wrong lol, especially that stupid email address that is supposedly ebays representative that "holds" the money lol wow... i work for a bank... many people fall into these kinds of traps...

Old 09-10-2006 | 04:24 AM
Old 09-10-2006 | 07:37 AM
A couple of weeks ago I got a couple emails from ebay scammers saying they were still waiting for "X" item that they purchased to be delivered and crap. I have NEVER sold anything on ebay and new it was junk especially when you look at the member that is "supposedly" asking where there stuff is and and you actually see that there feedback scores dont jive and stuff like that. Crazy crap man. I junk any email from ebay that is not secure.

Old 09-10-2006 | 12:34 PM
|
If people only read these e-mails you got to wonder how ANYONE could fall for it. I particularly liked these lines.....

ACT NOW! - THIS OFFER EXPIRES SOON:

The buyer sends payment to an eBay Representative and not to the seller directly

Several ID's and utility bills have been required before the funds are paid. Therefore, no one else but our eBay Representative can pick up the money. Your payments cannot be lost in the mail, like money orders or checks.

You have to pay for the transfer with cash

Western Union applies additional taxes when the money is sent for business.
just say the money is for a friend!

Currently, this seller Garry Hall has a USD 20,000.00 deposit in an eBay managed purchase protection account.
Transactions with this eBay seller are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors. This account was locked today, for 90 days time period. The seller is unable to withdraw any money from it, within this period.

Maybe I should have went another hundred during the auction and bought the truck from the REAL SELLER hu *@&$%)@$%)@$%)@$%@)$

Old 09-10-2006 | 06:57 PM
Not new at all I'm afraid, that kind of scheme has been around eBay for years.

The sad thing is people still fall for it.

Old 09-10-2006 | 08:51 PM
I bid on a gas grill, a few weeks ago, I lost, and was contacted about a second chance. I noticed the link he gave me was for ebay Phillipines. I ask for a pic of the actual item and a serial number so I could figure out the age of it. I was sent a pic from the manufacturer's website, and no number.

Glad I don't buy much from there.

Old 09-11-2006 | 08:20 AM
..and that's a perfect example of why I dont buy online.

Old 09-11-2006 | 09:00 AM
Moderator &
Originally Posted by jamzwayne
..and that's a perfect example of why I dont buy online.

Yeah. Golly gee Timmy. There are some meanie heads out there. What's that? He's stuck in a well again?

There are con artists within every walk of life. The key is to be diligent as a consumer to weed them out. 99 times out of 100, it's simplistic to see through the muck of a scam if you keep your wits about you. Always research items and the seller before buying on ebay... 100% feedback is, typically, no accident.

I stopped shopping in stores and do everything on line now since I was dispensed fake $20 bills for change the last time I was at the grocery. Also, those ****** sold me some FAKE Cheerios! The manager won't let me return them either...

Old 09-11-2006 | 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Yeah. Golly gee Timmy. There are some meanie heads out there. What's that? He's stuck in a well again?

There are con artists within every walk of life. The key is to be diligent as a consumer to weed them out. 99 times out of 100, it's simplistic to see through the muck of a scam if you keep your wits about you. Always research items and the seller before buying on ebay... 100% feedback is, typically, no accident.

I stopped shopping in stores and do everything on line now since I was dispensed fake $20 bills for change the last time I was at the grocery. Also, those ****** sold me some FAKE Cheerios! The manager won't let me return them either...

I see your point RP.

Old 09-11-2006 | 09:15 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by jamzwayne

I see your point RP.
I agree with you jamz. Rather see what I am getting. I buy occasionally from a reputable company online but I will never use Ebay. Too many other places to spend my few dollars than to get into that mess.

Old 09-11-2006 | 09:15 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by RockPick
...There are con artists within every walk of life....
I resent the implication of your text.
You sir, are neither a scholar nor a gentleman.

Old 09-11-2006 | 09:24 AM
I resent the implication of your text.
You sir, are neither a scholar nor a gentleman
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..............

Quick Reply: New Scam on E-Bay and dam it's a good one.....